Apply Discount Coupon?

A place to post for now; some will turn into TIPS under the other topics
nicklarsen84

Apply Discount Coupon?

Post by nicklarsen84 »

Hello,

I am currently running a yelp coupon which is a $40 value. I need to be able to deduct $40 from the total bill, not the sub-total. With the way the system is set up now, when I deduct the coupon it changes the tax & final balance, due to the fact I have to deduct "x" amount from parts & "x" amount from labor.

Is there anyway to just deduct a certain dollar amount without having to do it through a percentage of parts & labor or an actual dollar amount of parts & labor.

Thank you.
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: Apply Discount Coupon?

Post by steven kiser »

Not that I'm aware of. I'm not a wizard by any means but every discount I've ever tried recalculates and adjusts. It caused a huge issue with a good account because the order didn't show discount on order so a desk jockey claimed they weren't getting discounts. I lost them for about two years until they caught the jockey getting kick backs from the shop they were using after they stopped coming to me. Now on all orders where I'm applying a discount I print out an original and then a discounted order so customers can see it. Best I could come up with.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting.

Discounts applied as coupons or ad-hoc amounts thru the Options - Discount option are calculated on total order dollars before taxes and fees. Therefore they will reduce taxes and fees (depending on their configuration) in the process.

What you could do is create a new Payment Type that is Yelp Coupon with it's own GL code to facilitate tracking usage and making it easier to subtract from cash business.

1. Go to Setup -> Standard Tables -> Income / Pay Types tab
2. Click Add and enter Account Description: Yelp Coupon / counted as: Cash / GL Code: unique value that you prefer
3. Click OK and Done to save this work.

Later at point of sale, when you get to Pay/Post phase, select Yelp Coupon from Payment Type (type a Y), enter $40.00 and Apply. Apply additional payments now? YES, process the invoice balance as usual.
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
Rob@SD-AR

Post by Rob@SD-AR »

you can also just add a $40 credit on the customers account (customer tab under payment status on the upper right) and apply it at check out, This will not show as a yelp coupon, or discount, but will take the correct amount off the ticket with out affecting taxes.

If you setup the payment option to add Yelp as a payment type, i don't think you can remove that in the future, you can rename it, but not delete it. (i don't believe)

Edit:
You may want to check with your accountants to be sure it's 'legal' to do this, because the taxes collected should be based on the dollar amount after the coupon and not before. Similar to a Gift Certificate, The total tax stays the same, but the actual payment collected is less at the time of purchase because of the Gift Cert. Altering the total of the job to collect more taxes (that you have to pay back anyhow) may be illegal.

Return to “Tips + Ideas”