Work requested/work performed

A place to post for now; some will turn into TIPS under the other topics
DynaBMan
100 Club: Active Contributor

Work requested/work performed

Post by DynaBMan »

I am using ShopKey 6.4.612, with an upgrade to 6.5 coming tomorrow. For several years, I have used a standard note called "Customer Concern" to place the problems we need to diagnose on the repair order. However, that does not lend itself to a easily readable invoice for the customer.

I know the program has Symptoms, etc. I also thought about using the Work Requested/Work Performed sections, but I have discovered that the information entered into Work Performed does not show up when trying to search through the history of the vehicle.

Suggestions???
Larry Jackson
Greg's Too Car Care
Fort Smith, AR
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Re: Work requested/work performed

Post by brianp87 »

Im not certain I understand the question but ill try. I make our own symptons which are generic. I then transfer the closest one and edit it specificly based on the customer info. IE a no start. Ill add it only cranks over or cranks sloe or does not crank. I make a line item for each symptom that it is brought in for Like check engine light. Runs rough when hot etc
DynaBMan

Post by DynaBMan »

brianp87 wrote:Im not certain I understand the question but ill try. I make our own symptons which are generic. I then transfer the closest one and edit it specificly based on the customer info. IE a no start. Ill add it only cranks over or cranks sloe or does not crank. I make a line item for each symptom that it is brought in for Like check engine light. Runs rough when hot etc
I've thought about that as well. Still remaining is the fact that the information entered into the Work Performed section does not show up when searching for a keyword in the history.
Larry Jackson
Greg's Too Car Care
Fort Smith, AR
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by ricmorin »

I think that the advantages of using Symptoms far outweighs the disadvantage of the missing search function. FWIW, you can search the Work Requested field and the part description field. Searching these has always worked for us.

We probably have a hundred canned symptoms at the ready.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
DynaBMan

Post by DynaBMan »

ricmorin wrote:I think that the advantages of using Symptoms far outweighs the disadvantage of the missing search function. FWIW, you can search the Work Requested field and the part description field. Searching these has always worked for us.

We probably have a hundred canned symptoms at the ready.
I'll give it some thought and run it by the owner. Thanks for the advice.
Larry Jackson
Greg's Too Car Care
Fort Smith, AR
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

When I do a search under the customer history I use words like brake, antifreeze, cabin etc to search through them.

Return to “Tips + Ideas”