More LOF packages & Categories

A place to post for now; some will turn into TIPS under the other topics
Eaglesoar1
25 Club: Starting Contributor

More LOF packages & Categories

Post by Eaglesoar1 »

I looked at http://managerforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1876 and didn't see this on the list.

Under the current architecture, there are 5 oil changes listed for 4 different categories of LOF packages.
In my case, I want to be lazy & have 8 packages under one category for my synthetic oil changes. (5qt, 6qt, 7qt, 7.5qt, 8qt and then all the different weights - 0w20, 5w20, 5w30, 15w40, etc.)

To my way of thinking - if we can have 5 why not 8 or 10 or 20?? :)

I think we as shop managers should be able to add LOF category buttons ( for the weights) AND the # of packages we want under each category - IMHO>

I hope I described this to where everyone understands. (Probably not)
Rich
Eagle Automotive
http://WWW.EAGLE-AUTOMOTIVE.COM

People say I suffer from OCD - I do not.
I suffer from CDO which is like OCD just in alphabetical order - LIKE IT SHOULD BE!
Silky7
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Re: More LOF packages & Categories

Post by Silky7 »

I think we get it. You mean something like this? (Ignoring the actual values)
packages.png
packages.png (54.24 KiB) Viewed 7018 times
M1 Product Manager
Eaglesoar1

Post by Eaglesoar1 »

Yes! THAT'S IT!!!

On the one category you screenshot here - I see you have 7 packages listed AND even added enough jobs to have a scroll bar for even more!!!

How'd you do it???? :shock:
I called product support and they said to post it out here under enhancements because they didn't have a ready solution.

I WANT, I WANT, I WANT!!!!
Rich
Eagle Automotive

I suffer from CDO which is like OCD just in alphabetical order - LIKE IT SHOULD BE!
Silky7
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by Silky7 »

Sorry, just a mockup designed to show a rough outline of what you described. :oops:

The real thing would take some code changes in the manager application to allow you to add/remove more packages. I just wanted to make sure it was clear for Product Management.
M1 Product Manager
Eaglesoar1

Post by Eaglesoar1 »

DARN!
I thought you had it nailed!

Well, that is what we were wanting - hope this is an "Easy" fix so it moves towards the upper part of our wish list.

Thanks for the "hopeful" preview!
Rich
Eagle Automotive

alloutrepair
50 Club: Regular Contributor
50 Club: Regular Contributor

Post by alloutrepair »

Just an idea, but using canned jobs is a very good option for oil changes. It took me a bit to set them up, but I love them, and it's just as easy to add them to the job. Now I know which oil filter I used, and what type of oil I used, because I selected them when I added the oil change to the order.

I setup 3 canned jobs: 1- std oil change; 2- blend oil change; 3- syn oil change
I setup 4 parts kits: 1- std oil change; 2- blend oil change; 3- syn oil change; 4- oil filters
(When setting up the kits, you choose the amount to retail these items for and ask it to prompt for each item.)

I added the appropriate oil kit and the filter kit to each of the canned jobs.
I selected the option to add the canned jobs to my quick list.

Now when a customer comes in for an oil change:
-I find out what oil and what filter is needed
-I right click on the first line of my order and select the oil change that they are looking for (let's say syn)
-A window pops up to as what filter I am using and after selecting it I click 'okay'
-Another window pops up to ask what oil I am using (and it only shows the synthetic oils I have available) after selecting the one I want I click okay, and all 3 lines are added to my order with the correct part/inventory I am using.

As an added bonus, the tech doesn't need to look it up anymore, because it is on my Tech Worksheet! :lol:
THANKS!
~Jennifer~

*** Not challenging everyone, just thinking outside the box in an attempt to make life easier! ***
AngelsAutoCare

Post by AngelsAutoCare »

We use canned jobs as well for oil changes.

A regular oil change is a set price for up to 6 quarts of oil. I still inspect how much oil every vehicle takes unless I know off the top of my head and write it on the tech worksheet or add price as necessary to the customer.Synthetic and diesel oil changes I charge by the quart for each particular application, but each type of oil has its own job already setup and I just have to change the quantity... It is very simple and easy to use!
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

We also use a canned job for lof's. We also set up the whole job filter and oil and leave it in a revision for easy transfer for every service. If it takes a special filter or oil not stocked I make notes to try to remind us to order it before the appointment.
ARS
300 Club: Superstar Contributor

Post by ARS »

Are the LOF Packages that we are seeing in MItchell working... last time i have seen it is a mock up design... Just wondering.. because it seems like it would be something we can use.

Thanks, ARS
Silky7
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by Silky7 »

LOF/Brake/Tire packages are all under consideration; but we feel the Schedule is probably the next major component we want to address.
M1 Product Manager
ARS

Post by ARS »

OK, bummer... We saw it there hoping it was good to go... WE will try it a different way... Thanks
Silky7
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by Silky7 »

Just for clarity's sake, were you wanting the same thing as Eaglesoar1? Or something different done with LOF?
M1 Product Manager
ARS

Post by ARS »

We are trying to make our oil changes more uniform...
ie. Reg. LOF with 5 qts - 34.95,
Full Synthetic 5 qt LOF with Proselect filter $45.95 &
full synthetic 5 qts LOF with gold filter $59.95. or something like that ..
we are struggling on how to build a package like that. Right now if you called our shop & asked how much is an oil change, we honestly could not tell you with out looking up what your vehicle needs. WE can guesstimate it ( reg. oil - around $33 & synthetic $45) We do not currently carry gold filters yet. We have about 10 filters that are sell at 2.99. but other than that each filter is based off of cost (cost x 50%) & the oil is (cost X 35%). So every oil change price is different. We are trying to make it so when you call & ask, we can tell you & then make it so the ticket actually says what we tell them. We were hoping that the LOF package button would work..but...

How does MItchell or other shops handle this? We could really use the help...

Thanks, ARS
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

ARS wrote:We are trying to make our oil changes more uniform...
we are struggling on how to build a package like that. Right now if you called our shop & asked how much is an oil change, we honestly could not tell you with out looking up what your vehicle needs. WE can guesstimate it ( reg. oil - around $33 & synthetic $45) We do not currently carry gold filters yet. We have about 10 filters that are sell at 2.99. but other than that each filter is based off of cost (cost x 50%) & the oil is (cost X 35%). So every oil change price is different. We are trying to make it so when you call & ask, we can tell you & then make it so the ticket actually says what we tell them. We were hoping that the LOF package button would work..but...

Thanks, ARS
I do them all vehicle specific. Since most take different engine oil and filter I charge vehicle specific. I also charge more labor time for newer Mercedes etc that require special tools to reset maint reminders. I try to sell them as a service instead of an oil change since more then changing the oil is happening. Since some of the vehicle get 5,000 mile intervals or 7,500 it may need a tire rotation every or every other time also. Once I know what is needed on one vehicle I save in on the last revision for easy copy and pasting to an invoice.
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by ricmorin »

ARS wrote:We are trying to make our oil changes more uniform...

Thanks, ARS
We no longer offer menu pricing. Each oil change is an entity unto itself, and priced according to costs. That changes a lot, and so does the price. If a 'consumer' called here and asked for a price on an oil change, they would be asked YYM and an estimate would be created. We would then attempt to make them a 'customer' by education.

Menu pricing worked well 30 years ago because the differences between cars were small. Today is a different story.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
rhillig
500 Club: Champion Contributor
500 Club: Champion Contributor

Post by rhillig »

ricmorin wrote: We no longer offer menu pricing. Each oil change is an entity unto itself, and priced according to costs. That changes a lot, and so does the price. If a 'consumer' called here and asked for a price on an oil change, they would be asked YYM and an estimate would be created. We would then attempt to make them a 'customer' by education.

Menu pricing worked well 30 years ago because the differences between cars were small. Today is a different story.

I think this a good idea as well! I want to switch to this as well - too many variables.
A year from now you will wish you had started TODAY ~ Karen Lamb
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

rhillig wrote:
ricmorin wrote: We no longer offer menu pricing. Each oil change is an entity unto itself, and priced according to costs. That changes a lot, and so does the price. If a 'consumer' called here and asked for a price on an oil change, they would be asked YYM and an estimate would be created. We would then attempt to make them a 'customer' by education.

That's what I was trying to say only he said it in a MUCH better way..... :!:

Return to “Tips + Ideas”