Transmission Report Search?

A place to post for now; some will turn into TIPS under the other topics
JCADan

Transmission Report Search?

Post by JCADan »

We're a transmission shop that uses Shopkey Professional SE. I'd love to be able to do a search for a particular transmission. For example, if I want to search for all the ROs that used a Dodge 48RE, Id' normally type in the F4 fields for a 'Dodge' 'R2500' pickup. Problem is, it will show me ALL Dodge R2500 whether it be a standard or automatic, plus, it doesn't narrow down which year range (since we don't know the exact year period the 48RE was used). I'd like to possibly be able to search for a '48RE' and then it pull up a list of customers that have that transmission.

On the same idea thought, is there a way to produce a report that shows me a list of all the transmissions we worked on? Preferably a report that gives us customer name, transmission type, vehicle, RO# and amount of invoice.

Just throwing out a wish list for 2015 since I know that Shopkey usually does a great job keeping software up to date!

Thanks!

Dan
Dan Pedroza
Eagle Transmission
Pflugerville, TX
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Re: Transmission search

Post by timbre4 »

Each report has a mission to summarize data or detail out transactions in order to answer a question. To narrow it down to "transmissions" requires some kind of key; category? part or description? Here's a couple ideas:

1. F4 Find History - use the Word Search filed for '48RE' [TIP: skip Dodge as some are probably under RAM]. This will give you an instant list of vehicles customers, INV# and dates. Clicking any one of them would reveal invoice detail and that might be enough.
48RE1.png
48RE1.png (16.12 KiB) Viewed 2406 times
2. Go to Reports - Management tab and select Part Number Search report. This report can return all of the sales details for a full or partial part number or part description. As long as 48RE (for example) existed as part of a part number or description, you'd get a lot of information back.
48RE2.png
48RE2.png (44.18 KiB) Viewed 2406 times
3. Accounting - Category Profit Summary report provides a summary overview of any selected (Auto trans, etc.) category. (30,000 feet view)
48RE3.png
48RE3.png (40.06 KiB) Viewed 2406 times
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
JCADan

Re: Transmission search

Post by JCADan »

timbre4 wrote:Each report has a mission to summarize data or detail out transactions in order to answer a question. To narrow it down to "transmissions" requires some kind of key; category? part or description? Here's a couple ideas:

1. F4 Find History - use the Word Search filed for '48RE' [TIP: skip Dodge as some are probably under RAM]. This will give you an instant list of vehicles customers, INV# and dates. Clicking any one of them would reveal invoice detail and that might be enough.
Good idea and works....partially. For example, I did a search for a '4R70W' and it came up with a good list of 20+ records. (not sure if that's accurate since I'm sure we've done more than 20 4R70W rebuilds in the last 4 years). Then I did a search for the B7TA, a Honda transmission in an '01 Odyssey. 'No Results' were found for this particular transmission even though it's one that we just did for a dealership last month. We should have plenty of B7TA, as well as the BYBA transmissions that we see all the time, yet the BYBA only shows one record over our entire database.
2. Go to Reports - Management tab and select Part Number Search report. This report can return all of the sales details for a full or partial part number or part description. As long as 48RE (for example) existed as part of a part number or description, you'd get a lot of information back.
Ironically, none of our parts descriptions include the transmission type in it. So for 48RE, we'd have to have our converters described as a "48RE CONVERTER" but they're just listed as 48RE with their particular part #, so this search actually netted zero results.

3. Accounting - Category Profit Summary report provides a summary overview of any selected (Auto trans, etc.) category. (30,000 feet view)
I suppose if we actually put in the Category for each labor operation it would certainly bring it up, but we don't put in the category description (transmission/clutch, etc.) because 98% of what we do is transmission. Is there a way that our labor category can default to a particular description so that we don't have to categorize it each and every time we input a labor?

Ideally, a search function that went through all of the fields of the Vehicle / Transmission.
Dan Pedroza
Eagle Transmission
Pflugerville, TX
Silky7
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Re: Transmission Report Search?

Post by Silky7 »

Dan,

Just wanted to help clarify on this. The word search for invoices is looking for labor line items containing that number. It doesn't search the vehicle screen for data. So when looking at the ticket for the '01 Odyssey there is no exact reference to the B7TA on any of the line items. If for example, you added it into your labor line for the Transaxle Assembly R&R, it becomes searchable.

Might be worth that added step for you guys in particular with a focus on transmissions.
M1 Product Manager

Return to “Tips + Ideas”