What Is Your Warranty Invoice Method In Manager?

A place to post for now; some will turn into TIPS under the other topics
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

What Is Your Warranty Invoice Method In Manager?

Post by timbre4 »

Over the years I have read differing methods by shops to handle warranty situations. I am tasked with developing a brief video for customers who ask tech support how they should go about this. I started this thread to get a discussion started that reflects the current thinking on this. In the past I have heard concerns of how the warranty invoice sits on the books, business rules, effect on average R.O. dollars and all the rest. Maybe a few new wrinkles will be brought up here? Once the regulars have posted their thoughts, I will do my best to distill the warranty methods into a poll to determine what the most popular method it. Thanks in advance.
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
DynaBMan
100 Club: Active Contributor

Re: What Is Your Warranty Invoice Method In Manager?

Post by DynaBMan »

We generally just list the parts and labor that are warranty as we normally would and charge nothing for them. It's easy to spot in history because everything is no charge and we still have all the information we need to see what has been done to the vehicle.
Larry Jackson
Greg's Too Car Care
Fort Smith, AR
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

DynaBMan wrote:We generally just list the parts and labor that are warranty as we normally would and charge nothing for them. It's easy to spot in history because everything is no charge and we still have all the information we need to see what has been done to the vehicle.
Thanks for the input; I will refer to this as the "0 Dollar invoice with full detail" method in the POLL. Is it safe to say that Shop Supplies & HazMat are turned off and the order made non-taxable?
Tim McDonnell -
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by ricmorin »

The method we use depends on the nature of the warranty. We break down failures into 4 categories. We make use of the 'Come Back' feature in Manager and also use a note to 'code' each failure into one of the 4 categories. We place this code in the work performed field so it shows up in the Comeback report. These are reviewed periodically and action taken when needed.

Our categories are:
  • Part Failure
    Technician Error
    Other
    Goodwill
Part Failure

The part that failed will be billed at zero cost and zero sell. Any additional parts will be billed at their respective costs and zero sell. Labor will be billed as usual with hours and dollars. A discount will be added to offset the labor so the total to the customer will be zero. We like to see the labor documented on the order here so if a labor claim is pursued it will show on the Invoice. Our techs get a bonus for hours billed, so we need to show this so they don't get penalized for something out of their control.

Technician Error

Parts are billed at their respective costs and zero sell. Labor is billed at zero dollars, zero billed hours and the other labor fields as usual. Here the technician becomes responsible for their failure. Filling out the Invoice like this shows us the true cost of the failure in F12.

Other

These are billed just like the Technician Error except the zero billed hours. We will input the billed hours here but still keep the dollars zero. Other is the catch-all when fault can't be determined easily.

Goodwill

Sometimes there is no fault on the shops part, or at least none that we can determine. Here we have a discount (100% parts and labor) and apply it to the order after all is billed as a customer pay.

Over the years we've felt that this approach gives us a good balance between treating the technicians right and allowing these incidents to affect our figures in a fair manner as well.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
DynaBMan

Post by DynaBMan »

timbre4 wrote:
DynaBMan wrote:We generally just list the parts and labor that are warranty as we normally would and charge nothing for them. It's easy to spot in history because everything is no charge and we still have all the information we need to see what has been done to the vehicle.
Thanks for the input; I will refer to this as the "0 Dollar invoice with full detail" method in the POLL. Is it safe to say that Shop Supplies & HazMat are turned off and the order made non-taxable?
That would be correct. Shop supplies are calculated off the total ticket, so they are zero.
Larry Jackson
Greg's Too Car Care
Fort Smith, AR
Sauvageaus
300 Club: Superstar Contributor

Post by Sauvageaus »

When I Finish the original invoice I have the warranty information included and if the part fails and they come back. I start up another invoice and add the parts and warranty in there. I just zero out the prices.
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

Circling back to this topic to summarize the details we should recommend in a potential SE video; let's see if I know enough to create 2 or 3 choices for a poll: (or adopt it right away if a single choice emerges)

1. The Warranty work is recorded on its own Invoice?
2. Is the Comeback designation used?
3. The cost of labor and parts is entered and then a) Priced at $.00 OR b) 100% Discount applied?
4. Technician assigned; with commissions off?
5. Taxes turned off
6. Shop Supplies / HazMat turned off
7. "Paid" by a Warranty (internal account) payment type

What are the specific concerns about Average RO values?
What are the specific concerns about applying 100% discounts?

Thanks again for all input! :wink:
Tim McDonnell -
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

This is exactly how we do it also. I do add a line item noting that it was warrantied from Invoice # 1234 and the date of the original repair. This is the same for our mistake or parts defect.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

timbre4 wrote: 1. The Warranty work is recorded on its own Invoice? >>> Yes
2. Is the Comeback designation used? >>> I do not (but I do not track on reports or I would.
3. The cost of labor and parts is entered and then a) Priced at $.00 OR b) 100% Discount applied? >>> correct cost entered sale price adjusted to $0
4. Technician assigned; with commissions off? >>> I still pay tech so hours are set. If a place does commission they will need to plan accordinally
5. Taxes turned off >>> its zero sale so no tax collected or needed.
6. Shop Supplies / HazMat turned off >>> yes off
7. "Paid" by a Warranty (internal account) payment type >>> I just pay cash buts its a zero balance.
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

Thanks Brian, that makes it very simple.

So maybe the last question is: can anybody tell me why they DON'T think $.00 pricing for the invoice is OK? (because I'm very close to saying that is the way to go with this)
Tim McDonnell -
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

I personally do not. But then again I far from know it all so hopefully others chime in.
Sauvageaus

Post by Sauvageaus »

I create a new invoice

Then I add the part we are warranting out and leave the Item # but zero out the cost/extended price

I add the Labor and leave the time in there for the tech but I zero out the cost so it shows $0

I cancel out the shop supplies and haz mat

I then do the same as Brian and Enter a Note stating Previous Invoice #, Date, previous Miles and the new Miles and add WARRANTY

Not sure if there is a way for Mitchell to have a warranty option in there that would just transfer all of this over to a new invoice if you go to the previous invoice and just click warranty.
Jeff @ Able Auto
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Post by Jeff @ Able Auto »

Pretty simple here. Show the ticket as a full pay and discount 100%. Remove haz and SS. Customer gets no charge. Come back is used when it is written up. Since I am pretty much a one man band it is mostly for tracking part failures. If I make a mistake I know it. :oops:
Jeff Fitzgerald - retired
Treasure Coast of Florida
"there will be enough time to sleep when we're dead"
Sauvageaus

Post by Sauvageaus »

Jeff @ Able Auto wrote:Pretty simple here. Show the ticket as a full pay and discount 100%. Remove haz and SS. Customer gets no charge. Come back is used when it is written up. Since I am pretty much a one man band it is mostly for tracking part failures. If I make a mistake I know it. :oops:
how do you do a come back in the program, i've never done that.
Jeff @ Able Auto

Post by Jeff @ Able Auto »

Open the symptoms drop down. On the right side there is a box to check for comeback and a place to put previous Invoice number. HTH. Jeff.
Jeff Fitzgerald - retired
Treasure Coast of Florida
"there will be enough time to sleep when we're dead"
ARS

Post by ARS »

The problem with the Comeback tracking is that you can not fill it after the fact. You have to know it is a comeback before you look at the vehicle. Sometimes the vehicle might be coming back for the what the customer says is one but it turns out that it is something different. Or it was a while ago & we forget that it is a comeback until the customer or the tech mentions it. I would like it that you can track the comeback after the fact easier. (The symptoms lock up!)

For Warrantys, we usually put the parts & labor & then subtract it back off- then we can give the warranty to part failure or to the tech if it is mistake. They get the negative time.
We take the shop supplies off.

Thanks, ARS
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

You have to know it is a comeback before you look at the vehicle.
No you don't. While it's true you cannot *MODIFY* an existing one, you can create a *NEW* symptom line on the existing order and fill out the come back information. Then copy the symptom and other info from the original line to the new one. Then delete the original symptom. We do this all the time.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
ARS

Post by ARS »

Very true.. I have to do that when the symptoms lock me out- either for spacing or we added stuff to the order (amazing when you copy & paste the old symptoms to a new one & then keep typing-you do not run out of spaces) - when we have to add more symptoms or more of a description to the symptoms... that is a real pain.... I really wish we would not be locked out.

That is very frustrating whenever we have to do it...
So it would be nice if it was easier to track comebacks or add more to symptoms without being locked out.

Thanks, ARS
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

What I've been doing is I just basically start a work order and under the notes option for the order I will type in the # for the work order that the warranty work is being done for. After work is completed and all is well I will discount the order by 100% and post it so it will keep in the customers history. I print out the original order and start a bill using the part supplier as the customer and bill it out for warranty reimbursement. On that order I'll include original order and present order in the note option. After all that is done I'll print out the warranty order in the suppliers name and put it in a file I keep for warranty so I can keep track of company and part failure rate. In the suppliers section I have sub folders as parts. I can look up by manufacturer and by part. If I notice a certain part failing from a certain supplier I'll switch. I have the same set up for tech's.
I know it's a very simplistic way of doing this but it will deal with any inventory issue, keeps an active order until I get paid by the supplier and unless it's a complete and utterly tech failure I will not dock the tech and pay him for his time. Don't know if this helps but I wanted to make this an active subject for me so I can keep on top of it.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
mytee

Post by mytee »

We use the zero dollar invoice. In terms of dollar average, we simply don't use the zero dollar invoice toward our car count.

Return to “Tips + Ideas”