Internal/ In House Invoices? New to Program

A place to post for now; some will turn into TIPS under the other topics
Bchill84

Internal/ In House Invoices? New to Program

Post by Bchill84 »

Hello all,

I am very new to this program, and I am having a difficult time trying to figure out how to separate our internal/ in house tickets. We are a dealership as well as a service center and we do inspections and repairs as needed. Is there a way that I can properly invoice these tickets so that the inventory is still adjusted but isn't processed as a payment? I have used programs before that you could list it as a customer or internal ticket. Any and all suggestions and help is greatly appreciated.
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: Internal/ In House Invoices? New to Program

Post by ricmorin »

Welcome to the Forum.

What we do is bill these normally, then apply a discount we created called Shop Discount. The discount applies 100% parts and labor, making the order come out to zero.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
Silky7
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by Silky7 »

One thing I'd recommend (am I'm not a shop owner, so take it for what it's worth :wink: ) is making sure you have the business in the customer rolodex as you would any normal customer. If you do a high volume of internal work, I'd recommend creating one for each year, so that the history becomes manageable.

Then as Ric mentioned, treat the work however you need to for pricing. Then if you sell the car to a customer, you can simply change ownership.
M1 Product Manager
Sauvageaus
300 Club: Superstar Contributor

Post by Sauvageaus »

ricmorin wrote:Welcome to the Forum.

What we do is bill these normally, then apply a discount we created called Shop Discount. The discount applies 100% parts and labor, making the order come out to zero.
I haven't tried this, but if you do this does it still track the cost of the parts and labor a tech did the work? There are some cars we've done work to and then went to sell them, definitely need to know how much we have invested into the vehicle.
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Sauvageaus wrote:
ricmorin wrote:Welcome to the Forum.

I haven't tried this, but if you do this does it still track the cost of the parts and labor a tech did the work? There are some cars we've done work to and then went to sell them, definitely need to know how much we have invested into the vehicle.
Yes. If you enter your parts cost and your technicians time you will still have those figures. As I stated, we make the order just like any other, then apply the discount.

The F12 will give you costs on that order before posting.

FWIW, we try to get full retail on cars we flip.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
motley06

Post by motley06 »

I realize that this will be difficult to answer as it varies from state to state, but does applying a 100% discount properly account for taxes?

The way I understand it, if we do an oil change on one of our loaners, we must write up a ticket and close it out so taxes are paid on the oil, filter, etc...

*Update: I did a simulation ticket. 2 hours labor to install an amp and lock actuator, $500 cost for parts, sold for $825. Applied 100% coupon. Taxes owed did not increase any. Parts margin for the day tanked.
The taxes might not matter to anyone, but in another post a from a few years back, they made it look like it was important...:
http://www.managerforum.net/viewtopic.p ... ers#p32835

Looks like you either take a hit on your parts GP% or artificially inflate revenue numbers with other payment types.

Return to “Tips + Ideas”