Password Protect HELP!!!

A place to post for now; some will turn into TIPS under the other topics
mapauto

Password Protect HELP!!!

Post by mapauto »

I got a little problem. We are a flat rate shop and I have a technician who is changing hours on repair orders and invoices. I know he needs to go but I don't have the authority to do that. What I would like to do is block him from making changes - is this possible? I tried to set up users by passwords but that doesn't seem to work - everyone gets blocked and passwords do not work. I've contacted Mitchell 2 x's this morning with no results. I have spent 5 hours trying to figure this out. Can someone please help me??
Gerald Martin
50 Club: Regular Contributor
50 Club: Regular Contributor

Re: Password Protect HELP!!!

Post by Gerald Martin »

You need help, for sure. Others here may be able to point you in the direction of program security. I would say if your tech has access to the management system he needs to know what his boundaries are. If he is modifying RO's without permission that is an integrity issue and he would not have a job in my shop. You can not put enough locks on a house to keep a dishonest man out....

One option might be to use the management system viewer on his computer. http://www.m1faqs.com/fix/SE/index.htm Download line 40 and install.

Gerald
mapauto

Post by mapauto »

Management system viewer - what exactly does that do. I downloaded it but not sure what it does??
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by ricmorin »

mapauto wrote:I got a little problem. We are a flat rate shop and I have a technician who is changing hours on repair orders and invoices. I know he needs to go but I don't have the authority to do that. What I would like to do is block him from making changes - is this possible? I tried to set up users by passwords but that doesn't seem to work - everyone gets blocked and passwords do not work. I've contacted Mitchell 2 x's this morning with no results. I have spent 5 hours trying to figure this out. Can someone please help me??
First of all, the way passwords work currently, when you block a function it is for everyone. Protection is based on function, not user. So if you password protect editing labor, you do so for everyone. This is said to change in a future release.

The first window sets which functions will require a password. The Users define which password protected areas they will have access to.

I don't see a way to protect this particular function, but I'll admit I'm a bit rusty with it as I don't change these settings often.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

mapauto wrote:Management system viewer - what exactly does that do. I downloaded it but not sure what it does??
Provides technician access to simplified WIP screen and to open orders; they can ONLY write notes. That could be your solution depending on location of computers and the access allowed.
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

I'm surprised that you didn't get a call back from Mitchell. That has never ever happened to me. If I need to leave a contact number for return calls I'll use my fourth stand alone phone number. My other three lines are tied together and used as drop downs so I rarely have a busy signal. There are many times where all three lines are in use especially when my wife is in the office doing book work. The third line in this group is also my credit card processor and fax line. Anyway, before I started using my fourth line as a return call number I found when I called services back complaining I never received a return call I was told that the line was busy every time they called. Suggest also using cell phone as a return line as well. I guess I'm just really floored that you never received a return call. If memory serves me well I believe the longest I've waited was about 20 minutes. Good Luck.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

I would want to know the right phone # was used to speak to the right department. Each support agent is required to identify themselves by name and number; knowing this we can circle back to see what happened (or didn't happen). It's also helpful to return to the forum to read the replies and suggestions offered. :idea:
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

Another point you need to look at and I mean look at is the basic fact that your employee is a thief. He's blatantly stealing from customers and putting the shop in a high risk position. Many years ago my boss (owner) of the gas station where I started working as a gas jockey and worked myself up to what I am today (have never forgiven him for teaching me) discovered some increased in house charge activity on one employees shift. What caught his eye was that on several occasions there were invoices in his drop envelopes dated two or three days in advance and some dated two or three days prior. We went over as many of the slips that were available to us including credit card receipts. He was writing in house charges and putting cash in his pocket. There wee also changed amounts on credit card receipts. What surprised me was my boss, being the tight wad that he was, called the police then started contacting all our customers. I mean all, not just the in house charge ones about the oddities he had discovered. I was thinking along the lines that he would make the thief pay back all the money plus a % and deal with customers as they came in. That never was even presented as an option. He was completely clear. Return money on any transaction the customer questioned. We had a few customers that were real butt holes and really tried to put the screws to us claiming the money stolen from them was a crazy amount. Well we finally got it all behind us and when I had the chance had a sit down with him and asked him what made him resolve it this way. His explained that customer retention was #1. By letting the people know that we had discovered the problem and moved forward so quickly to resolve it they, for the most part, would feel comfortable with our findings and accept them. This would cut the amount of time and frustration, be thankful and trust us more since we were looking out for them, and for the most part be swift and decisive. Like I said, only a few tried to screw us but he felt that it wasn't all that bad and was satisfied with the overall results. He told me that even though he didn't press charges he needed to report this as soon as we found out to legally cover himself. If he didn't and we discovered the amount of money stolen went well into the thousands it would be almost impossible to submit an insurance claim and more importantly look like we were trying to cover the whole thing up. Bottom line was it stayed out of the papers leaving the shops reputation in tact, increased most of our customers trust in us so much that many became huge fans and brought us a lot of new customers and taught us a lesson being that even though all the numbers are fine when a shift is totaled out doesn't mean a thief is in our barn. After this situation all in house charges were posted by date and slip number instead of amount only. All loose charge books were gathered and destroyed. Every attendant was issued his or her own personal charge book and the beginning and ending numbers were noted. At each shift change a manager not only took meter readings but took note of the next number for the credit card imprint receipt.

So having said all that, personally I feel it's your job to treat this like a crime, investigate it thoroughly, make restitution where possible, report it, and make him sign a letter agreeing about all this based on the facts. If I didn't know better it almost looks like you just want to prevent it from going on put it behind you. Won't say it can't be done but will say shouldn't. All it takes is one person to discover the issue and raise a stink about it. Probably as of right now your insurance company will cover any losses and send a lawyer to represent you. If this happened in my shop I would push it as far and as fast as I could. Send out a mailer and make all the phone calls personally and spend as much time needed to go over all work orders within a certain time frame and keep all involved on the same page.

Now when things are winding down I would want to know what the tech was willing to do to satisfy me for all my time and aggravation to stop me from pushing this legally. It certainly wouldn't be working it off, or anything that has to do with any personal involvement. We could settle on an amount and he could pay me. If we agreed on a cash amount and he wanted to pay it off in timed payments I would want something to hold against the note that would retain it's value so if I have to take possession of it and sell it I would get enough for it to satisfy the debt. Everything would be in writing and legal. If he or she refused I would allow the law to deal with it and maybe, just maybe, if I pray hard enough bad things will start to happen to them. My prayers on issues like this one seem to get answered for some reason.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Return to “Tips + Ideas”