Parts Cost Display Markup?

A place to post for now; some will turn into TIPS under the other topics
GRIZZAUTO

Parts Cost Display Markup?

Post by GRIZZAUTO »

I HAVE A NEW ACCOUNT THAT NEEDS MY PARTS COST DISPLAYED { ONLY ON THAT CUST. } , ALSO NEED TO MARK UP 50% AND SHOW THAT AS WELL CAN THIS BE DONE ?
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: Parts Cost Display Markup?

Post by ricmorin »

I am sorry, but there are no current templates that display parts cost, or markup percentage for that matter. Your situation is highly unusual.

Additionally, if there were such a template available, you'd have to manually select it every time you print an invoice for this customer since they are the only one with this requirement.

Sounds like a manual affair for the time being, unless you can come to a compromise with this customer.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

I've had customers request a lot of different things in the past but nothing like this one. I have a good customer that I got through the parts store and he's become a close friend since then. When I first started working on his fleet it was labor only since he purchased his own parts and that is how we were set up. I would charge what he needed through Car Quest, attach the slip to the order and boll labor straight as I would on any order. The more vehicles he added to his business as well as his families it began to get confusing ad when I needed parts from other places he had no charge and the slips were billed to me which caused issues because when posted on an order it would automatically be calculated within my matrix. What we did was to sot down and work out a formula that worked. We agreed on a certain across the board discount on parts and labor that would work. There were exceptions and I would start another work order for the vehicle we were working on that would have those items on it and no discount was applied to that order.
I have no idea why someone would want to know your cost other than to use it to push for better discounts or maybe 1099 you at the end of the year based on his calculations for your total profit. I'm no accountant but when I do something out of the "norm" he gets all pissed and tells me never do anything like this again or make it a cash thing and don't put it on paper. I would love to know why this account wants the cost plus noted on the orders. If you offered this to him as an incentive to get his business I could understand it but don't know how to show it. I would like to help you calculate a formula but I see no easy solution. It looks like a line item calculation. The only way that pops into my head would be to make a copy of the parts slips, attach them to the order, add them up, calculate and include the agreed markup and add that figure as a single amount in the part column. If it is just one slip I would just copy that onto the back of the work order. I don't know any other way but watch the parts figure as it is added to the order to make sure nothing is added when it's carried over to the final figure box. Good Luck.....................
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Rich
4K Ultra Amazing Contributor
4K Ultra Amazing Contributor

Post by Rich »

Can you bill out the part on one line, show cost. Then on the line below it, make the part # "mark up" and for a price make it 50% of the price of the part?
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (6.99 KiB) Viewed 2138 times
Rich Hays
Work 9-11 or 616-696-0020
Being able to get CAPE off a Skew T chart is important in this hobby.

Return to “Tips + Ideas”