Intended Workflow

A place to post for now; some will turn into TIPS under the other topics
madmoneymike5
50 Club: Regular Contributor

Intended Workflow

Post by madmoneymike5 »

We come from the old fashioned days of handwritten everything and what wasn't handwritten was done on a handshake. However, we took over a shop two years ago and have been self-teaching how to use Mitchell ever since. Additionally, we're growing quickly and it's probably time we do things "by the book" as they were intended.

I've watched the videos on the software numerous times throughout the last two years, but I'm not 100% clear on the intended workflow. Since I've been in discussion on the topic of workflow over in the Enhancements subforum, I thought it might be a good time to bring this up...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the intended workflow generally is:

1. Customer calls to schedule appointment and this is entered into the scheduler.
2. Convert appointment in scheduler into estimate or work order.
3. Use symptoms to describe the problem.
4. Print work order and have customer sign it.
5. Print tech worksheet and begin diagnostics.
6. Tech makes recommendations.
7. Service writer creates revisions to sell.
8. Customer accepts/declines as he/she feels necessary.
9. Revision is "sold" to transfer it to the work order and log the details of how it was sold.
10. POs are created and parts are ordered.
11. Parts are received into inventory.
12. Repairs begin.
13. Once repairs are complete, service writer makes any final comments/recommendations.
14. Convert to invoice and call the customer.
15. Customer pays.
16. Rinse and repeat.

Did I miss anything or get something out of the intended order?
(Using Version 7.0.11 as of June 2016)
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Re: Intended Workflow

Post by timbre4 »

I'll let other shops comment on variations as they see fit, I think it's pretty close.

One thing that was mentioned in an earlier post that I didn't address; many shops do not want their technicians in the Manager SE program at all. This is why the technician worksheets are important to CAPTURE the essence of the issues and justify the repairs, then hand that worksheet over and let the Service Advisor enter the Recommendations and build out the Revisions as his time permits.
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
madmoneymike5

Post by madmoneymike5 »

I assume the signed and printed work order then is for CYA purposes, such as being able to show permission to operate the vehicle to police and perhaps Garage Operators Liability insurance requirement purposes, etc. Also, some states/counties/cities require it, right?

If the above is correct, how do you handle the situation when the work orders change, such as moving from diagnostics to actual repairs, or additional unforeseen repairs that come up? Is it expected that you print and have signed a new work order every time something changes?
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

I'll leave it to other shops to detail regulations they have to follow, too many variables...
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
Jeff @ Able Auto
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Post by Jeff @ Able Auto »

Several options for the "upsell". I do it several ways. Long standing customers get a call or text. Approved revision moved to RO and work completed. These are the folks I have dealt with for years and have a good working relationship. Newer customers get the same call or text. BUT I will ask for a confimation text (best option) or get the last 4 of their social to verify the approval. This covers the unsigned authorization. EVERYTHING gets signed on pick up.
Jeff Fitzgerald - retired
Treasure Coast of Florida
"there will be enough time to sleep when we're dead"
madmoneymike5

Post by madmoneymike5 »

Jeff @ Able Auto wrote:This covers the unsigned authorization. EVERYTHING gets signed on pick up.
Does this mean you do print the new versions of the RO and have them sign all the new ROs?

Sometimes our initial repair can change two or three times, such as when the customer calls in and requests additional things they originally forgot about or on larger jobs where we can't determine if a certain part needs replaced until other parts are removed, etc., etc. In this situation, do you print and have them sign all the different versions of the RO as it changed?
Jeff @ Able Auto

Post by Jeff @ Able Auto »

I guess you could get everyone signed. I only have the initial Est signed at drop off. Added work gets the text or last 4 noted on RO along with the time. The RO is never printed. Tech sheet will be reprinted with added work. At pick up I print Inv and have it signed. At the bottom of the inv is a detailed revision "report" . I hope this explains it better. Jeff
Jeff Fitzgerald - retired
Treasure Coast of Florida
"there will be enough time to sleep when we're dead"

Return to “Tips + Ideas”