Dropbox backup?

A place to post for now; some will turn into TIPS under the other topics
DynaBMan
100 Club: Active Contributor

Dropbox backup?

Post by DynaBMan »

I currently use a USB drive to backup my host machine every evening. The USB drive then goes into a lock box that is fireproof. I have been toying with the idea of using Dropbox to backup Manager. Has anyone on the forums tried this?
Larry Jackson
Greg's Too Car Care
Fort Smith, AR
Rich
4K Ultra Amazing Contributor

Re: Dropbox backup?

Post by Rich »

I have used DB, used it for stuff at the Fire department. Also have loaded some photos to it. I have not done a back up to it, but don't think there would be an issue using it. I have the free account and you get 2.5gig. I wouldn't think the back up is that large.
Rich Hays
Work 9-11 or 616-696-0020
Being able to get CAPE off a Skew T chart is important in this hobby.
DynaBMan

Post by DynaBMan »

Therein lies the problem. I just checked my USB drive to see how large my backup files are and I am currently setting at 3.5 gb. I'm not sure how much space a free Dropbox account is allowed.
Larry Jackson
Greg's Too Car Care
Fort Smith, AR
Rich

Post by Rich »

The free one 2.5gig
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (4.36 KiB) Viewed 6534 times
Rich Hays
murraymotive

Post by murraymotive »

DynaBMan wrote:Therein lies the problem. I just checked my USB drive to see how large my backup files are and I am currently setting at 3.5 gb. I'm not sure how much space a free Dropbox account is allowed.
Google Drive gives you 15gb for free.
DynaBMan

Post by DynaBMan »

I am testing Microsoft's OneDrive now. Our owner already had an account. It has 15GB as well.
Larry Jackson
Greg's Too Car Care
Fort Smith, AR
sbebenelli
750 Club: World Class Contributor

Post by sbebenelli »

We use Dropbox. I've had Dropbox for years and have gained free space for different promotions through the years so I have plenty of space.
DynaBMan

Post by DynaBMan »

The only complaint I have so far with OneDrive is that it seems to be slow uploading files to the cloud. Of course, I did hit it with almost 4 gb at once, so that might have something to do with it. :D
Larry Jackson
Greg's Too Car Care
Fort Smith, AR
Gerald Martin
50 Club: Regular Contributor
50 Club: Regular Contributor

Post by Gerald Martin »

Sure, DropBox would work, you can buy a business account with 1 TB of file storage. But why would you when Mitchell offers free daily offsite backup with their DPR program? A call to Tech Support, no expense to you, and a copy of your database is uploaded to M1 once a day, if I'm not mistaken.

Gerald
sbebenelli

Post by sbebenelli »

Gerald Martin wrote:Sure, DropBox would work, you can buy a business account with 1 TB of file storage. But why would you when Mitchell offers free daily offsite backup with their DPR program? A call to Tech Support, no expense to you, and a copy of your database is uploaded to M1 once a day, if I'm not mistaken.

Gerald
I have plenty of room in my free Dropbox so it doesn't cost me anything. You can never have enough backups. Nothing wrong with having your own backup along with Mitchell having a backup.
dnnstory

Post by dnnstory »

I can't entirely trust my Mitchell 1 automatic backup -- it doesn't go through every single night. It sometimes won't go through for 3 nights! I don't know why -- the computer is left on specifically for that, and I haven't seen any patterns.

I back up to two sticks every night. I am also looking at a cloud-based backup, so thanks for the information
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by ricmorin »

From my experience with DPR, often the backup will go through but is waiting authentication on M1's side so it looks like it didn't go. Best practice is to always use more than one backup. I added Carbonite to my strategy when we went paperless in the back office.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
motley06
300 Club: Superstar Contributor
300 Club: Superstar Contributor

Post by motley06 »

Never thought about doing this, but seems really smart!!! I have 100 gigs on Google drive that costs me a whopping $2/month. Think I'll be pulling the USB stick out that never gets removed anyway (I know, I'm lazy/busy) and setting the back up to the Google Drive folder
Rich

Post by Rich »

Just a side note from an old retired fire fighter. When you back up to a thumb drive and throw it in a fire "proof" box, take a second and put the TD in a zip lock bag 1st. Your fire "proof" box is designed with with stand "X" amount of heat for "X" amount of time. (they are fire resistant boxes, not fire proof) However, if there is a large fire and your fire "proof" box is submerged in water for a few hours/days your Thumb drive may be toast when recovered.
Rich Hays

Return to “Tips + Ideas”