New User Learning Manager SE

A place to post for now; some will turn into TIPS under the other topics
Rich
4K Ultra Amazing Contributor

New User Learning Manager SE

Post by Rich »

Have a new M1 user that is having a few issues learning the system. He isn't too excited about the lack of teaching he is getting from M1, and I have offered to meet him at our shop to teach him what I know. This inventory issue I know is over my head, shy of hand entering it all, just want to not lead him down the wrong path on this issue when we meet.

Thanks
Rich Hays
Work 9-11 or 616-696-0020
Being able to get CAPE off a Skew T chart is important in this hobby.
Silky7
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Re: New User Learning Manager SE

Post by Silky7 »

Rich,

As for the lack of training, we can help him with that as well, but appreciate your efforts too. :D

Hope it helps.
M1 Product Manager
Rich

Post by Rich »

Thanks! I am getting the info 2nd, maybe 3rd hand. Kinda like R.E.O., heard it from a friend who heard it from friend.......

He was told as far as help with training to go to You Tube. Which I understand, but I have been using the system for 15 yearsish. I have passed on the word to come to the Forums. I am thinking he is a very busy owner/service writer and trying to learn on the run.
Rich Hays
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by ricmorin »

I've always thought there was a gap between the sale of Manager and being a competent user. I've mentioned this to several people in the M1 hierarchy over the years. I've always tried to share what I've learned to whoever wants to listen, but I've heard this story before where new users feel lost.

Maybe there are others out there, like me, who want to help newbies with their software. Maybe M1 could charge a monthly extra fee for access to this kind of volunteer training and reimburse those who are providing it(or provide some kind of comp to their subs). It's unique training done by real shop owners who are M1 customer/advocates. Remote sessions can easily be set up and time can be tracked. Thinking out loud here.........trying to fill the need.

Actually, I think M1 should recruit retiring shop owners/customer advocates to fill this position as personal trainers full time. Make them available on a per diem basis for one on one training for users that want to supercharge their experience. Take some of the 'training' role away from support and let them deal with technical issues. More thinking out loud......... I should stop now
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
Pauls Automotive
1000 Club: Interstellar
1000 Club: Interstellar

Post by Pauls Automotive »

I am with Ric here. There is a gap. I really learned what I know through trial and error. It would be nice to have some sort of software use training for newbies.

Rich I can say as far as the data transfer that Bolt_On Technologies has done two data import for me over the year from M1 to Enterprise and 3 years later back to M!. They do a fantastic job. Yu may want to have your friend talk to them about it. It may be a huge time savings. Just a thought.
Paul
Pauls Automotive
6318 Falls Road
Baltimore, Md 21209
410-825-2224
paul@paulsauto.com
TRUE HAPPINESS IS WITHIN YOU
Rich

Post by Rich »

Paul, I will ask him about it. We don't use Bolt-on here. :cry: I have always said, M1 is like a Cadillac system, but we use it like a Chevette.

I also believe there is a gap in training. I believe the salemen are paid to sell the product, not train people on it. Just as I explained the IT is for trouble and not really for schooling.

Thank God for the forums!

But I also believe in M1 100% and the system is awesome. I hate to have a shop have M1 in their hands, get sick of it, and go back to something else. I won't be asking for any kodos or reimbursement. The peeps at M1 have went above and beyond for us, and I just feel this is something i can do to to pay it back. There is a lot of "help" info on line. However, you can find it under "how to", in You tube, knowledgebase and forums, and I am sure I am missing one or two. But if you don't know which question to ask where not sure you will find it.

I will meet with him and see just where he is at in life and go from there.
Rich Hays
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

The forum has definitely filled part of the gap, but there are times where only a one-on-one will provide that ah-ha moment. This is the only flaw I see in M1's delivery process. I get random phone calls from people regularly. I'm happy to help, too, but those calls really show a need.
603-622-6434 x203

Rich

Post by Rich »

ricmorin wrote:The forum has definitely filled part of the gap, but there are times where only a one-on-one will provide that ah-ha moment. This is the only flaw I see in M1's delivery process. I get random phone calls from people regularly. I'm happy to help, too, but those calls really show a need.
\ :D / < thats me, raising my hands! I have been "that guy" a few times.......
Rich Hays
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

I would certainly like to close any such gaps by any reasonable means. I'll post a list of the SE product training tools and how they are accessed so that we may discuss this further.

In the meantime, Rich - Please PM me the shop name and their zip code so that I may look into this.
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

Post by Tim Martin »

Rich wrote: also believe there is a gap in training. I believe the salemen are paid to sell the product, not train people on it. Just as I explained the IT is for trouble and not really for schooling.
If I may reply to this comment. Here in our shop, we too are 'newbies', so to speak, having just gotten set up with the Shop Management program. We have so much to learn. However, the local salesman, Stanley Gipe by name, is one super good salesman. Quite obviously, he believes in the service and support after the sale. He was and is very instrumental in getting us set up as well as helping my secretary begin several jobs in the 'new' system. He is one super hero and deserves more than high fives for his work and service. I have no way of knowing if the salesman for Mitchell are salesman only or if they are allowed to train also but this man certainly is going beyond the call of duty and providing service that is usually characteristic of the Mitchell program through the years.

Thank You Stanley for a job well done!
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

Tim Martin wrote: Thank You Stanley for a job well done!
Stan definitely honors his commitment and gets it right for customers.
Tim McDonnell -
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

Thanks to Rich, I have made contact with the Mitchell 1 ISC (rep) about this shop's training concerns and just spoke with the regional manager about what is in progress.

Below is an overview of the particulars for Manager SE field training:

1. Manager SE is sold by A) Mitchell 1 independent sales contractors (ISCs) across North America, or B) Mitchell 1 inside sales representatives. Inside sales typically works with the ISC to get the training done. If the sale was in a 'house account' territory, the regional manager over that territory will ask an ISC with a different territory to step in and complete the customer training. We use a form (SE Setup &* Orientation Checklist) to govern the training process and confirm the training is completed with the customer's signature (see attached).

2. We provide the following materials and resources for Manager SE customer training:

A) LEARN & SETUP Workbooks [PDF with active video links] - We suggest a block of 4 hours training time to guide the user through the LEARN book (with demo database) and to confirm that the checklist items for SETUP have been completed. Depending on each customer's skillset (some are going to take longer) and geography (some are long drives away), this time is split into multiple sessions and potentially completed via a remote desktop program such as TeamViewer, LogMeIn or similar. When the ISCs do get additional questions, they handle themselves, remind the customer of the tools available (listed below) or put them in touch with technical support where necessary.

NOTE 1: 'Prepare' (attached) [printed and included in their SE product box], shows customers how to proceed with getting acquainted with Manager SE even before contact is made with ISC. It shows them how to click on Help - Documentation to gain access to the LEARN and SETUP (PDF) book files. They may view or print portions as they see fit.

NOTE 2: 'Info Gathering' (attached) [also printed and included in SE product box] shows the customer what information will be required ahead of time for SETUP to customize the SE software to their business. This way the valuable training time together is better utilized.

B) 100+ SE training videos that demonstrate program concepts with recommendations and best practices
C) F1 Help system on every SE program screen; displays text, graphics and a link to the related video (these are stored on YouTube and can be found independently of SE too)
D) Tech Support also supplies training within their busy schedule; they are thinking "inside the box" [how the program is expected to function]
E) Manager Forum - provides answers whether the customer is thinking inside or outside the box [tips & tricks come to mind]

I look forward to any suggestions to improve this process.
Attachments
SE Setup & Orientation Checklist 2017.pdf
(99.76 KiB) Downloaded 225 times
Manager SE Setup Info Gathering.pdf
(193.12 KiB) Downloaded 217 times
SE Prepare Sept 2017 booklet.pdf
(482.02 KiB) Downloaded 236 times
Tim McDonnell -
Rich

Post by Rich »

The more I am understanding about this "issue" is that maybe the new operator hasn't taken, or had, the chance to set aside any time to learn the system - while the doors are locked. Sounds like he is trying to learn on the fly, while the phone is ringing, the doors are open, and the techs want their stuff NOW!

My goal is to either meet him at his business or to meet him here and answer the questions I am able to answer. He would like to meet while we are open, but once we talk person to person, I am going to do my best to do this after hours.

Thanks for all the input. I will be sure to read up on the links you posted and be sure he sees them and understands that HE needs to read them.
Rich Hays
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

The unfortunate reality is that this is how most users start. I won't deny that M1 has training in place. I think it is a good process, but I'm willing to bet that very few have the patience to sit through 100+ videos. Since every user has a unique way of using the program, videos have no way of responding to that. Those are completely static/rigid and centered around how the engineers deem the system should operate. In the real world it's much different. I still maintain there should be some OFFICIAL avenue of direct, one on one training available.

I'm doing my best to help users in my area. Whether you fault the user for not utilizing the available training or not, the issue remains.
603-622-6434 x203

timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

The videos are not intended to be the primary means to learn the software, the workbooks are. Then if uncertain, watch the related video clip(s). The 100+ videos are built to support each individual SE Help topic page. Other than that, they also appear in an alphabetical list and also grouped into 5 playlists to earn certificates for passing quizzes.

What we're truly aiming for is to get the shop users through that hellish first 30 days of worry and confusion. So we formatted the workbooks to get them through this period with enough info to write invoices and get paid for them and then allow them to get into learning more [Self-Instruction] once they establish a comfort level. I always include a slide when speaking to new ISCs -Managing Expectations- because that is central to everyone getting what they perceive

The LEARN workbooks include the baby steps (entering a customer, adding a vehicle, creating an estimate, check profit, assigning techs, convert to RO, convert to INV, pay & post), with Recommendations & Revisions thrown in. Then the balance of the is inventory, canned jobs, etc. The SETUP book is also divided into two parts; what needs to be setup to write actual invoices.

One thing I've heard with some frequency is "Workbooks? Never seen those." I'm not sure what I can do about that. The workbooks were printed and put in the product box for 20 years; now we supply a link to electronic copies so no matter what, they will remain accessible to view or potentially print portions under the SE Help - Documentation menu.

Given that customers may each have a unique usage or learning style and the rep may have their own teaching style, we can only provide the framework of the common elements that all users must grasp. The one-on-one time with the initial rep comes with limitations; they are commission driven (new sales, not renewals) and incentivized to be out selling.

I remain open to any practical ideas that are win-win for all.
Tim McDonnell -

Return to “Tips + Ideas”