LOF: To Rev 9 OR Not Rev 9?

A place to post for now; some will turn into TIPS under the other topics
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Re: LOF: To Rev 9 OR Not Rev 9?

Post by brianp87 »

How does it know what parts are associated with the service needed. The majority of the time it is more then an lof. It could be rotation, caf, def fill, air filter, etc.
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by ricmorin »

CARTECHPLUS wrote:Maybe I am not understanding the situation properly here. I guess my question would be why copying & pasting from the vehicles history to the new estimate, order, invoice, whatever it may be doesn't work both from a convenience standpoint as well as a documentation standpoint. When the vehicle comes in for the LOF, I simply pull up the history, find the last oil change info [filter, oil used, amount, and labor] highlight it and copy & paste it. I am a small shop compared to most of you here, Its just me & the owner, but all of my stock filters are in my inventory and the copy and paste pulls them out just as it would if it was a new entry. Just my 2 cents. I'm sure I'm wrong as my knowledge of the program is minute to you guys on here but that it what I do here!
I think you have a better grasp of the program than you think. It's not very hard at all, and using Rev9 makes it even easier.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
GUTHTIRE
400 Club: Mega-Star Contributor

Post by GUTHTIRE »

brianp87 wrote:How does it know what parts are associated with the service needed. The majority of the time it is more then an lof. It could be rotation, caf, def fill, air filter, etc.
The scenario was:
Customer comes in and says I need and oil change.

That's it! I have NEVER had a customer walk in and say I need CAF or Engine Air Filter.

Using the scenario above clicking a SINGLE button to automatically add an oil change, and associated filter/gasket/etc. which is automatically pulled from the LAST time the customer was in, to the repair order is far easier and quicker than looking up anything from anywhere and copy/pasting.

All the customer requested was an oil change!!!

Sure, the vehicle goes back in the shop and you notice it needs other things; CAF, Engine Air filter, etc. That's upsell. The same code, with some adjustment, could be used for CAF, Engine Air Filter, etc. but that was not the original request for automation.
Dan
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

I guess that is where we are different. Nowadays routine maintenance is more then an oil change in almost all cases. I have trained the customers of this as it is due for a "service". With extended intervals you almost always fall in line for a rotation, caf, air filter, fluid maintenance the list goes on. They trust me to keep them up to date, safe and reliable. Just and oil change is like saying a tune up they might say Id like an oil change but in reality they mean what ever is needed for the mileage and date they are at. We serviced 6 today like this and in todays case they all needed lof plus some of the following: rotation, air filters, caf's , fuel filters, def filled, tire pressure monitor reset. I guess we just do different then you do so your need is different then ours nothing wrong with that.
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

brianp87 wrote:I guess that is where we are different. Nowadays routine maintenance is more then an oil change in almost all cases. I have trained the customers of this as it is due for a "service". With extended intervals you almost always fall in line for a rotation, caf, air filter, fluid maintenance the list goes on. They trust me to keep them up to date, safe and reliable. Just and oil change is like saying a tune up they might say Id like an oil change but in reality they mean what ever is needed for the mileage and date they are at. We serviced 6 today like this and in todays case they all needed lof plus some of the following: rotation, air filters, caf's , fuel filters, def filled, tire pressure monitor reset. I guess we just do different then you do so your need is different then ours nothing wrong with that.
Like!
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
Rich
4K Ultra Amazing Contributor
4K Ultra Amazing Contributor

Post by Rich »

So going with the original idea, what would the system look back at to find the latest part info? I will try and give an example.

We stock CarQuest oil filters, line code in "RFI" Supplier is "Binneys <repairlink shop catalog link>, last oil filter I sold to this car was a "R84356 Oil Filter"

Last time the customer was in we sold them an air filter, line code RFI and part number 83125 (made up number)

Now I go and click the "one button LOF", the system goes to look back and pull up the "LOF" information. How could the system find that info? Is it possible? Does system look at Line code? (There has to be hundreds on oil filter line codes), does the system look at description? What if the last one was a Engine filter or engine oil filter, or around here it could be a OLI Fitler.

I do like the idea, but I am still thinking of how it could work. Shy of having an area in each vehicle to enter said info. Like Rev 9, but....when your in the RO, you can click on the "one button LOF" and it would transfer said info, in just one click, no copy and paste.

Man I so happy I don't program computers. I am sure I'd get a C++ :D
Rich Hays
Work 9-11 or 616-696-0020
Being able to get CAPE off a Skew T chart is important in this hobby.
GUTHTIRE

Post by GUTHTIRE »

Rich wrote:So going with the original idea, what would the system look back at to find the latest part info? I will try and give an example.

We stock CarQuest oil filters, line code in "RFI" Supplier is "Binneys <repairlink shop catalog link>, last oil filter I sold to this car was a "R84356 Oil Filter"

Last time the customer was in we sold them an air filter, line code RFI and part number 83125 (made up number)

Now I go and click the "one button LOF", the system goes to look back and pull up the "LOF" information. How could the system find that info? Is it possible? Does system look at Line code? (There has to be hundreds on oil filter line codes), does the system look at description? What if the last one was a Engine filter or engine oil filter, or around here it could be a OLI Fitler.

I do like the idea, but I am still thinking of how it could work. Shy of having an area in each vehicle to enter said info. Like Rev 9, but....when your in the RO, you can click on the "one button LOF" and it would transfer said info, in just one click, no copy and paste.

Man I so happy I don't program computers. I am sure I'd get a C++ :D
Dan

Return to “Tips + Ideas”