EST Convert to Revision?

A place to post for now; some will turn into TIPS under the other topics
Alaskatech

EST Convert to Revision?

Post by Alaskatech »

Is it possible to turn an estimate into a revision so you don't have to save the estimate in the WIP?
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: EST convert to revision

Post by ricmorin »

Alaskatech wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:21 pm
Is it possible to turn an estimate into a revision so you don't have to save the estimate in the WIP?
Yes and no. You can copy all the info from the Estimate and paste it into a Revision slot. We do this all the time. Delete the now-blank Estimate and keep your WIP clean.

When I have a feeling that the Estimate I'm creating will not turn into an appointment, I'll often create an Estimate entirely in a revision. Start an Estimate as usual and go directly to the Revision tab and do your work right there. If they say yes you can move it to the Order tab. If they say no you can close out without ever creating a numbered estimate but a Revision will be saved with a time and date stamp. This is probably best if you create a lot of Estimates that don't turn into jobs.

HTH.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
Frank Panipinto
50 Club: Regular Contributor
50 Club: Regular Contributor

Re: EST Convert to Revision?

Post by Frank Panipinto »

Another benefit to copying and pasting an estimate back into a revision (or building the revision only), is that you can double click on the Revision Tab and change the tab title from "SubEst1" to "Front Brake Est". Makes it easier to remember which of the revisions is the one you made for the ones(s) you're trying to sell. Try it!
Frank Panipinto
Frank's Tire & Service Center
Don't make me ...hungry, you won't like me when I'm ...hungry
ServiceProsAuto

Re: EST convert to revision

Post by ServiceProsAuto »

ricmorin wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:00 am
Alaskatech wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:21 pm
Yes and no. You can copy all the info from the Estimate and paste it into a Revision slot. We do this all the time. Delete the now-blank Estimate and keep your WIP clean.

When I have a feeling that the Estimate I'm creating will not turn into an appointment, I'll often create an Estimate entirely in a revision. Start an Estimate as usual and go directly to the Revision tab and do your work right there. If they say yes you can move it to the Order tab. If they say no you can close out without ever creating a numbered estimate but a Revision will be saved with a time and date stamp. This is probably best if you create a lot of Estimates that don't turn into jobs.

HTH.
How do you copy from estimate and paste it into revisions? I've tried to find this little trick everywhere. I can hold the shift key down and highlight the lines but right click does not give me the option to copy
Rich
4K Ultra Amazing Contributor

Post by Rich »

On the top line of information, click the left mouse button ON HOLD. Drag to bottom line of information. Release mouse button. Then go to top of screen and click on EDIT, click copy. Open revision, high light top line, go back to EDIT and click paste. Go back to the Estimate and delete the information.
Rich Hays
Work 9-11 or 616-696-0020
Being able to get CAPE off a Skew T chart is important in this hobby.
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Use keyboard shortcuts for copy/paste in Manager. Highlight your lines and press Ctrl+ C (or X for cut) and then Ctrl+ V for paste.
603-622-6434 x203

Rich

Post by Rich »

And to add to that. I find it helpful to also copy and paste any oil change information to revision nine. Then the next time this car comes in for an oil change simply go to revision and copy and paste. Saves looking it all back up again. Just remember to not "sell" the revision as that will clear the information from the revision.
Rich Hays
ServiceProsAuto

Rich wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:47 am
On the top line of information, click the left mouse button ON HOLD. Drag to bottom line of information. Release mouse button. Then go to top of screen and click on EDIT, click copy. Open revision, high light top line, go back to EDIT and click paste. Go back to the Estimate and delete the information.
Thank you, tried it I guess my version 8.2.1.81 will not let me copy/cut and paste from estimate/order to a revision or vice versa :( It has the option, just doesn't work
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

I have confirmed that the pull down menus don't work. I have never used those. The keyboard shortcuts work. Use those.
603-622-6434 x203

Rich

Post by Rich »

Strange...mine works fine. I never remember the crtl/? options, so I ALWAYS have used the "edit" pull down.

8.2.1.81 also
Rich Hays
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

I just played with the Edit menu for Cut, Copy + Paste with single and multiple parts, going from Order to Revision and these worked*.

* The Paste command (at least with multiple order lines) may require "touching" the $.00 line as the destination before it will paste. The Order or Revision grid requires 'focus' to accept what you paste.

If you were already doing something on the Order or Revision, you've already established focus there. I think the reason the KB shortcuts (Ctrl+X, C or P) work right away is the focus is on the grid, whereas the move up to the Edit menu moves the 'focus' up there.

Whew. :shock:
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
Rich

Post by Rich »

Ok, that does make sense to me, I guess the "re-focus" is something I do and didn't really realize I was doing it.

However, you Honor, I much point out I DID include that step in the "how to" gibberish I posted above.

please allow me to share exhibit "A"

"click copy. Open revision, high light top line, go back to EDIT"

I rest my case.

lol
Rich Hays
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

I will defer to your argument counselor!
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
ServiceProsAuto

ServiceProsAuto wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:29 am
Rich wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:47 am
Thank you, tried it I guess my version 8.2.1.81 will not let me copy/cut and paste from estimate/order to a revision or vice versa :( It has the option, just doesn't work
Update, Copy/cut and paste work with keyboard short cut but not with the program shortcuts under edit tab :roll:
Dixon

Post by Dixon »

I absolutely love having the ability to copy/pasta (that's what we say heehee) line items. What I have found issues with is "losing" it to items on the clipboard. It's not LOST per se, and can be recovered in the clipboard history (windows + V) if you have it set up. I've tried pasting to Word, Excel, Notepad, etc. to see if I can get it back into Mitchell and cannot. Is there a secret format to this I have yet to try? Am I making sense?
Silky7
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by Silky7 »

Windows clipboard (Windows + V) is fantastic for anyone's daily use of any sort on a computer. Glad you brought it up as a tip!

With that said, it can be a tad suspect for saving longer strings (like a lot of line items) and might not have the best results when pasting history. However, we're currently at work on some controls that should make copying and pasting lines in general a much easier process for all. Stay tuned. :D :D
M1 Product Manager

Return to “Tips + Ideas”