DISCOUNT COUPON OFF TOTAL INVOICE?

A place to post for now; some will turn into TIPS under the other topics
HeadsUpAuto

DISCOUNT COUPON OFF TOTAL INVOICE?

Post by HeadsUpAuto »

Hey Guys,

I feel like I'm missing something really obvious here.

We want to offer a few coupons to our existing customers for example:

$25 OFF ANY SERVICE
$40 OFF ANY INVOICE $400 OR OVER

I wanted to set these coupons/discounts up so that they would be applied to the total invoice amount pre-tax but for some reason Michell only has an option to apply a discount to either parts or labor.

Am I missing something here or just trying to approach this all wrong?

Thanks,

Chris
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: DISCOUNT COUPON OFF TOTAL INVOICE?

Post by ricmorin »

I don't think you're missing anything. Discounts are applied to parts, labor or both. It can be a percentage or a dollar amount. The program does not offer the option to simply take an amount off the total, only parts and or labor.

Typically I would split the amount between parts and labor. In your examples it would be rare for me to not have a sufficient dollar amount for it not to work.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
HeadsUpAuto

Post by HeadsUpAuto »

Hey Rick,

Thanks for the reply on this, you've always chimed in on my questions with great feedback.

Just to ask you opinion with regards to my discount examples, how would you typical implement that type of discount on an invoice in your shop? Would you apply the total discount to parts or labor?

Just wondering if there is a better business practice to implementing discounts in our industry.

Thanks,

Chris.
nickscarcare
750 Club: World Class Contributor
750 Club: World Class Contributor

Post by nickscarcare »

Create a coupon, or discount, apply either to parts labor or both as stated above, then apply to whichever order you want. Then you can also track said coupon to see how many are going out. Then all you need to do is click promos, discounts, and pick which coupon. We love this as we can track how many we get back for advertising dollars worth.
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.

507-345-6425
http://www.nickscarcare.com
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

HeadsUpAuto wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:16 am
Hey Rick,

Thanks for the reply on this, you've always chimed in on my questions with great feedback.

Just to ask you opinion with regards to my discount examples, how would you typical implement that type of discount on an invoice in your shop? Would you apply the total discount to parts or labor?

Just wondering if there is a better business practice to implementing discounts in our industry.

Thanks,

Chris.
I tend to split these 50/50 parts and labor. You may run into a rare invoice that doesn't have enough of one or the other to meet the minimum. I would create a manual discount in that case.
603-622-6434 x203

HeadsUpAuto

Post by HeadsUpAuto »

Also what is a manual discount?
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

You can create discounts ahead of time with a date range (coupons) or you can create one manually on the fly. Open the order where the discount is going. Click Options>Discount. (should be password protected) Click either dollar amount or percentage. Enter the values for the discount. Click OK. Now you have a manually applied discount. No tracking available here as with Coupons.
603-622-6434 x203

ShopManTim
100 Club: Active Contributor
100 Club: Active Contributor

Post by ShopManTim »

ricmorin wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:36 am
You can create discounts ahead of time with a date range (coupons) or you can create one manually on the fly. Open the order where the discount is going. Click Options>Discount. (should be password protected) Click either dollar amount or percentage. Enter the values for the discount. Click OK. Now you have a manually applied discount. No tracking available here as with Coupons.
This is how I do it. Works well.
Enjoying Life as Our Maker Designed - Wrenching to pay the bills

Return to “Tips + Ideas”