Limit WIP to Tech or User View?

A place to post for now; some will turn into TIPS under the other topics
KERNERS
25 Club: Starting Contributor

Limit WIP to Tech or User View?

Post by KERNERS »

So we currently use Bolt On DVI's and they can separate what RO's the technician can see on their tablet. Limiting the need to scroll through all the ROs and also this would limit access to other open ROs that technicians like to look at. Since Bolt on has a way to do this, is there not a way to do the same and have only assigned work viewable from their desktop? Each technician has their on tablet and desktop at their workstation so I would like to limit what they see to what they have been assigned. Keeps wandering eyes away from searching what the other guys in the shop are doing as well as what other work is currently available and not assigned. Thanks for the help.
megoff
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Re: Limit WIP to technician or User view.

Post by megoff »

With the latest release 8.5.0.90, the WIP can be customized quite a bit. You are able to group the WIP items by the technician, once the labor tech is set for the group you are able to filter out all other techs. If you have questions about this please feel free to give us a call in tech support.
M1 Product Manager
KERNERS

Post by KERNERS »

But can I limit view to user? Like Bolt On.
megoff
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by megoff »

The new WIP allows you to hide columns and configure how each user would like to view the WIP. If this is not an immediately I would wait until the version 8.5.1 is released in the upcoming weeks. Once you see the notice at the top show 8.5.1.x apply the update and for further instruction on how to modify the WIP for a custom look give Tech Support a call as there are quite a long list of options for how to change the view.
M1 Product Manager
KERNERS

Post by KERNERS »

But it still allows the user access. I understand you can reorganize it. I want to limit access to other RO's other than what is assigned. Like Bolt On.
megoff
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by megoff »

We do not limit access to any order phase other than Printed Invoice. Other than an order being in that phase we do not limit the use of a workstation from modifying orders in that way.
M1 Product Manager
KERNERS

Post by KERNERS »

So continuing using Bolt On? I assume since they can do it, it's something that Mitchell can. What you're doing is giving access to the work that is assigned to the tech and removing unnecessary ro's.
megoff
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by megoff »

If Bolt on is working for you then I'd continue to use Bolt on. As I'm not quite sure what exactly you'd like to limit this would be something to give our tech support team a call to gather feedback for an enhancement request.
M1 Product Manager
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by ricmorin »

KERNERS wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:01 pm
So continuing using Bolt On? I assume since they can do it, it's something that Mitchell can. What you're doing is giving access to the work that is assigned to the tech and removing unnecessary ro's.
Mobile Manager Pro (Bolt-On) can be configured to view only jobs assigned to a specific tech, but there is no mechanism to prevent them from turning that off and viewing everything if they know how. They are not locked out. It's the same with the WIP in Manager. You can configure the Labor Tech column to view only a specific tech. If they don't know how to turn that off, you're good.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
Silky7
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by Silky7 »

Have you looked at using the Time Clock for this purpose? It's browser-based, so the technician can access it on any device. By its nature, Technicians will be limited to seeing ROs assigned to them.
M1 Product Manager
KERNERS

Re: Limit WIP to Tech or User View?

Post by KERNERS »

While you are correct there is a work around to the Mobile Manager option, it does at least allow for the concept. I am just trying to simplify the process and keep techs on to their WIP. My point I guess is, since Bolt On Can do it why can't Mitchell?
megoff
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by megoff »

I completely understand that it would be great to keep your techs focused. As previously mentioned with 8.5.0.90 and the soon 8.5.1.x version you are able to filter out the WIP to just display one labor tech on each of the machines.
M1 Product Manager
KERNERS

Post by KERNERS »

So to do this each tech would have to have a separate user name/profile?
megoff
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by megoff »

That has been in our system for years, a user in our system is a view setting and a password for program security. When a user is selected on each workstation it will take their view. The views can be set to only show their labor items. If you'd like more information on how to setup users please watch this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_VujmvZ3r4 This will show you how to create users in Program Security. Once a user is created each user can be selected by clicking "Users" and then "User Preferences"
M1 Product Manager
KERNERS

Post by KERNERS »

Does anyone have any information on the "Messages" column that now appears in the 8.5.0.90 update and how that is populated? Specifically the Messages column. Thanks
megoff
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by megoff »

The messages column is a notification box that will show if the customer has sent you a text through our Text Message Center.
M1 Product Manager
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

text.JPG
text.JPG (23.8 KiB) Viewed 4184 times
603-622-6434 x203

KERNERS

Post by KERNERS »

Ok, you had me all excided that there was an actual messaging system with Mitchell like Bolt On. Thanks for responding.
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

KERNERS wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:39 am
Ok, you had me all excided that there was an actual messaging system with Mitchell like Bolt On. Thanks for responding.
If by messaging system you mean text messaging, there is! Unless you are referring to an internal messaging system like Chat with Bolt-On.
603-622-6434 x203

KERNERS

Post by KERNERS »

internal messaging is what I am interested in. In that I can text a tech in the shop, as all my techs have desktops and tablets. The issue with using Bolt On's is that it send notifications for everything automatically including opening and closing DVI's. I would like an internal text or messaging program within Mitchell that lets me send messages to Techs and that notification show up on the desktop and not go away until they respond or click something to make it go away like Bolt On's notification that a customer has opened a DVI.

Return to “Tips + Ideas”