Mgmt Software Must Block User Info On Tech Worksheets

A place to post for now; some will turn into TIPS under the other topics
brownscarcare

Mgmt Software Must Block User Info On Tech Worksheets

Post by brownscarcare »

Mitchell needs to figure out how we can block owners information from showing up on Tec Worksheets and repair orders. In my state we are required to protect the identity of our car owners from theft. It would be great if we could push a button and mask the owners information from all Tech worksheets or repair orders. The owner information has no reason to be broadcast outside the control of the office area. We are using black markers now and trying to do this 20 to 30 times a day is starting to get costly.
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: Shop Management Software

Post by steven kiser »

Welcome to the Forum. I'm kind of the class trouble maker but have figured my way around pretty well. I have two printers on line. One for customer receipts and one for all the other crap. If I wanted to print this way and couldn't find a template for it I would take a printed tech sheet, place it over a blank piece of paper, use a ball point pen and make marks over the areas I want blacked out. Black them out with a marker making them large enough for wiggle room in the paper tray. Make a copy of the paper and run it through and see if it works. If not make adjustments until I have want I need making sure I make adjustments for any wiggle room. Place the template in the copier and knock out copies to be used for tech sheets. Save the original for more copies in the future. I know this is probably out of the box a bit but with computer issues I've tried to conform to them not make them conform to me. Every time I get something set the way I want it something happens to change it. When we occasionally loose power I need to reset all my defaults and passwords.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Rich
4K Ultra Amazing Contributor

Post by Rich »

Ok so I am completely lost. Coming from a over-indated-with-government-regulations-medical-field I understand HIPAA (i hate it but understand) But what in GGE does it matter who the owner of a car is????

So I see that Bruce Lee owns the Little Red Corvette and it needed brakes......SO WHAT??? So i guess if you wish, tell me why it matters. I wouldn't think anything less of Steve if I knew his Pink Smart Car needed a belt.
Rich Hays
Work 9-11 or 616-696-0020
Being able to get CAPE off a Skew T chart is important in this hobby.
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your question.

This is honestly the first I've heard of this concern, I'll leave it to your peers to comment.
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

I have no problem with that info on the TW. I trust all the people who work for me. Besides, what can you do with a name and an address? You can get that from a phone book. I don't see the concern.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
Rich

Post by Rich »

They state "in my state we are required" so it sounds like they have no choice..in their state...where ever that may be..Must be California :lol:
Rich Hays
lmcca
25 Club: Starting Contributor

Post by lmcca »

his issue is not trusting his employees, he says its a state law.
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

If this is the case, would the original poster please confirm which state and when this regulation went into effect?
Tim McDonnell -
brownscarcare

Re: Mgmt Software Must Block User Info On Tech Worksheets

Post by brownscarcare »

I have been using Mitchell for 20 + years I asked this question of my rep and he told me to go to this site and ask. He said Mitchell monitors this site for fixes for the program. Thanks to the one shop owner for his input but for the rest of you what a bunch of clucking hens I did not realize this was a gossip rag. You who don't know or have not checked it is the shop owners responsibility to guard customer information in most states. All it takes is one unhappy customer who has had their identity stolen to sue you (even if the theft was not from your shop) and they will win if they can prove you let their information out of your control. I guess it is not a big issue if you have a one bay one person shop but for the big shops it is a real issue. It is not a question of employee trust it is a question of attorney distrust. You need to protect you shop in this day and age from all sorts of things. This is a real issue that could be solved with a click of a mouse if Mitchell wants to.
Johnny5
500 Club: Champion Contributor

Post by Johnny5 »

I believe the statute refers to vehicle/owner information that must be safeguarded when provided by a governmental agency. The ownership information in your circumstance is provided freely by your customer. You do have a responsibility to protect "sensitive" data or information from consumers - such as social security numbers, financial records, credit details - none of which are normally recorded in the management system, and should never be. Theft or misuse of this information can put your customers' financial information at risk, damage the reputation of business and other ramifications.

Below is the Washington State statute regarding vehicle/owner information.

RCW 46.12.635
Disclosure of names and addresses of individual vehicle owners.

*** CHANGE IN 2013 *** (SEE 5182-S.SL) ***

(1) Notwithstanding the provisions of chapter 42.56 RCW, the name or address of an individual vehicle owner shall not be released by the department, county auditor, or agency or firm authorized by the department except under the following circumstances:

(a) The requesting party is a business entity that requests the information for use in the course of business;

(b) The request is a written request that is signed by the person requesting disclosure that contains the full legal name and address of the requesting party, that specifies the purpose for which the information will be used; and

(c) The requesting party enters into a disclosure agreement with the department in which the party promises that the party will use the information only for the purpose stated in the request for the information; and that the party does not intend to use, or facilitate the use of, the information for the purpose of making any unsolicited business contact with a person named in the disclosed information. The term "unsolicited business contact" means a contact that is intended to result in, or promote, the sale of any goods or services to a person named in the disclosed information. The term does not apply to situations where the requesting party and such person have been involved in a business transaction prior to the date of the disclosure request and where the request is made in connection with the transaction.

(2) Where both a mailing address and residence address are recorded on the vehicle record and are different, only the mailing address will be disclosed. Both addresses will be disclosed in response to requests for disclosure from courts, law enforcement agencies, or government entities with enforcement, investigative, or taxing authority and only for use in the normal course of conducting their business.

(3) The disclosing entity shall retain the request for disclosure for three years.

(4) Whenever the disclosing entity grants a request for information under this section by an attorney or private investigator, the disclosing entity shall provide notice to the vehicle owner, to whom the information applies, that the request has been granted. The notice also shall contain the name and address of the requesting party.

(5) Any person who is furnished vehicle owner information under this section shall be responsible for assuring that the information furnished is not used for a purpose contrary to the agreement between the person and the department.

(6) This section shall not apply to requests for information by governmental entities or requests that may be granted under any other provision of this title expressly authorizing the disclosure of the names or addresses of vehicle owners.

(7) This section shall not apply to title history information under RCW 19.118.170.
[2005 c 340 § 2; 2005 c 274 § 304; 1995 c 254 § 10; 1990 c 232 § 2; 1987 c 299 § 1; 1984 c 241 § 2. Formerly RCW 46.12.380.]
Notes:
Reviser's note: This section was amended by 2005 c 274 § 304 and by 2005 c 340 § 2, each without reference to the other. Both amendments are incorporated in the publication of this section under RCW 1.12.025(2). For rule of construction, see RCW 1.12.025(1).
Part headings not law -- Effective date--2005 c 274: See RCW 42.56.901 and 42.56.902.
Effective date -- Severability -- 1995 c 254: See notes following RCW 19.118.021.
Legislative finding and purpose -- 1990 c 232: "The legislature recognizes the extraordinary value of the vehicle title and registration records for law enforcement and commerce within the state. The legislature also recognizes that indiscriminate release of the vehicle owner information to be an infringement upon the rights of the owner and can subject owners to intrusions on their privacy. The purpose of this act is to limit the release of vehicle owners' names and addresses while maintaining the availability of the vehicle records for the purposes of law enforcement and commerce." [1990 c 232 § 1.]

WAC 308-93-087 Agency filings affecting this section

Disclosure of names and addresses of individual vessel owners.
(1) What vessel record information is protected from disclosure?
Vessel information protected from disclosure is the same as under chapters 42.56 and 46.12 RCW.
(2) Who may receive disclosure of individual vessel owner names and addresses?
(a) Government agencies;
(b) Any business entity that uses the name and address information in their normal course of business in accordance with these rules;
(c) Vessel manufacturers that require vessel ownership information for recall of their own products;
(d) A vessel owner for their own vessel; or
(e) Individuals who meet the criteria listed in subsection (6) of this section.
(3) What documentation does the department require to disclose vessel owner names and addresses?
The department requires:
(a) A disclosure request form provided by the department and completed by the applicant; and
(b) Acceptable business verification.
(4) What is acceptable business verification?
For purposes of this section acceptable business verification includes:
(a) If a licensed Washington business, a copy of its current unexpired master business license;
(b) If a business is not required to be licensed in this state, its federal employer identification number/federal tax number (or Uniform Business Identifier) on its official letterhead with a signature of the owner or an authorized representative;
(c) If an attorney, a copy of the current bar card; or
(d) If a private investigator, a copy of the current private investigator's license; or
(e) If an out-of-state business not licensed in Washington:
(i) If the business is required to be licensed, a copy of its current business license issued by the governmental authority with jurisdiction over the license; or
(ii) If the business is not required to be licensed, its federal employer identification number/federal tax number on its official letterhead with a signature of the owner or an authorized representative.
(5) If a business has entered into an agreement with the department, is a separate request for each inquiry required?
No. If a business has entered into a written agreement with the department, a separate request for each inquiry is not required.
(6) When may an individual be provided vessel owner name and address information?
(a) When the owner of record is requesting the information; or
(b) When the requester presents a bill of sale or other evidence of ownership and needs the ownership information to obtain a release of interest.
(7) Who may release the vessel owner name and address information?
(a) The department of licensing; or
(b) Agents and subagents, only when disclosing information for purposes described in subsection (6)(b) of this section.
(8) When may the department disclose the names and addresses of vessel owners?
Notwithstanding the provisions of chapter 42.56 RCW, the department may disclose the names and addresses of vessel owners when:
(a) The requesting party is a business that requests the information for use in their normal course of business;
(b) The request is in writing, signed by the person requesting disclosure, contains the full legal name and address of the requesting party or their business, and specifies the purpose for which the information will be used;
(c) The requesting party enters into a disclosure agreement with the department in which the parties:
(i) Agree they will use the information only for the purpose stated in the request for the information; and
(ii) Individuals meet the criteria listed in subsection (6) of this section.
(9) Is the department required to notify the vessel owner when ownership information is disclosed?
When the department grants a request from an attorney or private investigator, for information under this section, the department will provide notice to the vessel owner that the request has been granted. In addition, the notice will contain the name and address of the requesting party.
Additionally, if contract holders release owner information to a private investigator or attorney, they must notify the vessel owner that a request has been granted and include the name and address of the requesting party and send a copy to the department public disclosure unit.
(10) Who is responsible for assuring that the information is used appropriately?
Any person, business, agency or association that receives vessel owner information under this section is responsible for assuring under penalty of perjury under the laws of the state of Washington that the information received is not used for a purpose contrary to the agreement between the person, business, agency or association and the department.
John Dwulet AKA: Johnny5
Retired - Mitchell1
brownscarcare

Post by brownscarcare »

So Johnny can you do it can you make the program mask owner information? Is it in the works?
Rich

Post by Rich »

"Thanks to the one shop owner for his input but for the rest of you what a bunch of clucking hens I did not realize this was a gossip rag."

The problem was this clucking hen sees nothing wrong with the system as it is. I still don't understand (i understand YOU not the LAW) how any information on any of our invoices could be used to steal any identification. Granted I am not into ID theft. I can see if I took a CC# when the car was dropped off and we entered it on the invoice. Then I would have a HUGE issue.

So with that, and trying not to get called more names. Does the state allow you to keep the names in the system. But anything printed is not allowed to have owner info? all you can use it say Vehicle description or License plate number to know your on the correct car? I am so glad Michigan doesnt do any of this....i think....i just may go check this out.....
Rich Hays
Johnny5

Post by Johnny5 »

brownscarcare wrote:So Johnny can you do it can you make the program mask owner information? Is it in the works?
Mike,

The program does not allow for a user to eliminate the name and address of the vehicle owner from the tech worksheet or repair order. There are no plans to implement that unless a regulation requires it.

Regards,

John Dwulet
Mitchell 1 - Sr Product Manager
John Dwulet AKA: Johnny5
Retired - Mitchell1
rhillig

Post by rhillig »

We don't use the Mitchell tech sheets - but ones we have made up due to the information we want to capture- HOWEVER, many times our tech goes & picks up the vehicle from the customers home or work....it would really be hard for them to do so if they did not have the name & address on the sheet.

That being said - we are a used car dealer that purchases vehicles at the auction & trade's vehicles in - if people were so worried about identity theft - they would not leave their vehicle purchase contract, their loan documents, insurance cards, repair orders with cc receipt attached etc in the cars. WE take everything out & shred it when we find it, but since some of these cars are coming from other dealers - that is not always the case. It's hard to believe the difference in state laws or interpretation about customer privacy.
A year from now you will wish you had started TODAY ~ Karen Lamb
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

A clucking hen, mmmmmmm, never been called that before. I still don't and probably never will have a good grasp on computer communication skills.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

With a 9 year history (established in 2004) of over 50,000 postings where we have helped thousands of shops, this forum community members stand as the best resource for shop management software support. It's about more than just the technical details; it's the sharing of ideas and experience, comparing notes about shop operations. At times its even about asking trusted peers to help solve today's specific vehicle mystery.

In this particular instance, an idea was posted not so much for discussion but more as a proclamation (demand) for product management to immediately address a previously unheard of concern. When asked for supporting evidence, the original poster was unable to supply any legislative evidence or persuasive reasoning for such a requirement to be added to the software. When faced with opinions to the contrary, including some detailing how this would create other hardships within shop operations, the new member chose to denigrate the forum "as a gossip rag". With the possible exception of The Clubhouse topic area, this is an entirely unfounded and unfair assessment of what we do around here!

Everyone who takes the time to address user questions on this forum can be very proud of their continued contributions to make this the productive community environment we enjoy today. Thank you all for your constructive participation.
Tim McDonnell -
rhillig

Post by rhillig »

Good post Tim & for some reason I am wishing there was a "like" button on the forum posts once again!

timbre4 wrote:With a 9 year history (established in 2004) of over 50,000 postings where we have helped thousands of shops, this forum community members stand as the best resource for shop management software support. It's about more than just the technical details; it's the sharing of ideas and experience, comparing notes about shop operations. At times its even about asking trusted peers to help solve today's specific vehicle mystery.

In this particular instance, an idea was posted not so much for discussion but more as a proclamation (demand) for product management to immediately address a previously unheard of concern. When asked for supporting evidence, the original poster was unable to supply any legislative evidence or persuasive reasoning for such a requirement to be added to the software. When faced with opinions to the contrary, including some detailing how this would create other hardships within shop operations, the new member chose to denigrate the forum "as a gossip rag". With the possible exception of The Clubhouse topic area, this is an entirely unfounded and unfair assessment of what we do around here!

Everyone who takes the time to address user questions on this forum can be very proud of their continued contributions to make this the productive community environment we enjoy today. Thank you all for your constructive participation.
A year from now you will wish you had started TODAY ~ Karen Lamb
sbcauto
100 Club: Active Contributor
100 Club: Active Contributor

Post by sbcauto »

I Start All Work Orders As Estimates. These Orders Do Not Change Until Cust Picks Up & Pays For Vehicle & Then It is moved
to Invoice. When I Print Off My Tech Sheets In Estimate-Cust Name & address DO NOT PRINT On Tech Sheet. Only Name & Phone Number. Maybe Be You Are Using Ro. I Have Not Tried That But See No Reason For Anything But Estimate & Invoice. Never Understood Why So Many Different Formats For Same Thing.
hope That Helps.
CHEERS
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

Every state (and every shop for that matter) is a little different; hence, many options.
Tim McDonnell -

Return to “Tips + Ideas”