The Dreaded 3-Valve Spark Plugs

Information and links to Repair assets on the forum
protraxrptr17
100 Club: Active Contributor

The Dreaded 3-Valve Spark Plugs

Post by protraxrptr17 »

Im about to tear into one. This will be my second one. The first one wasn't too bad. Getting the porcelain chipped out enough to get the tap in it was pretty tough. Had a couple electrodes break off. I used kroil for penetrant. Anybody care to share their tricks? I have a long 3/16 drill bit that I use as a chisel to break up the porcelain.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Re: The Dreaded 3-Valve Spark Plugs

Post by brianp87 »

I use a removal tool. I think rich sent me the info. DO a search on here and youll find it. It works great.
protraxrptr17

Post by protraxrptr17 »

Yeah, I have the Snap-on, but I would like to try the one that is self tapping. I just finished the job. Only broke number 3. Probably could have been a little gentler and avoided it. Really didn't put up much of a fight. Kroil is amazing stuff. Anybody have the porcelain remover tool? I would be afraid I would break it off in the porcelain, then you can't chip away at it very easily. I warmed the engine up a little and then sprayed a bunch of Kroil down the hole. Then I turned the plugs very gently back and forth a few times and walked away for a while.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

the tool is lisle I believe and yes it removed the porcelin. i have used the factory ford tool and it sucks
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by steven kiser »

the mac tool remover works well. i use pb blaster. i find that if i put it in a metal cup and heat it with my hot air gun it penetrates quicker and better. someone told me that bleach works well also but i've never tried it.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

Post by Tim Martin »

Great idea about using the blaster. I will try it.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

just did my first in the list of the fords that started skipping on the highway or when puddle jumping. only two broke on this one. the mac tool is still working great. one had the porcelain broken flush. i chipped away just a minimal amount just to give the tap two turns. installed removal tool loaded up with hot pb and it came out rather easily. i've also found that the thread is so coarse if you just break the seat and spray solvent into the plug hole is seems to work better. i also have a few u boats towed in that just died after they hit major puddles at 50 or 60 mph. can't wait to fight with the insurance co's over these.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Rich
4K Ultra Amazing Contributor

Post by Rich »

Lisle - 65600 is the number we have here to use.
Rich Hays
Work 9-11 or 616-696-0020
Being able to get CAPE off a Skew T chart is important in this hobby.
protraxrptr17

Post by protraxrptr17 »

steven kiser wrote:just did my first in the list of the fords that started skipping on the highway or when puddle jumping. only two broke on this one. the mac tool is still working great. one had the porcelain broken flush. i chipped away just a minimal amount just to give the tap two turns. installed removal tool loaded up with hot pb and it came out rather easily. i've also found that the thread is so coarse if you just break the seat and spray solvent into the plug hole is seems to work better. i also have a few u boats towed in that just died after they hit major puddles at 50 or 60 mph. can't wait to fight with the insurance co's over these.

How much labor are ya'll getting for these? The plugs by themselves are $150 plus.
Rich

Post by Rich »

We do time and material. no set fee
Rich Hays
Work 9-11 or 616-696-0020
Being able to get CAPE off a Skew T chart is important in this hobby.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

Rich wrote:We do time and material. no set fee
Same and in fact I have the same tool
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

i go right by the labor guide. say for example it pays 3 hours to replace the plugs. i charge that, plus a minimum of i hour per broken plug. if the three hour figure is correct then the labor charge would of been 5 hours. on the same point, am i the only one that's had the pleasure of a customer declining my "price jabbing" only to have another shop call and ask to borrow the special tool needed to do that job you were accused of being a price jabber over. i have and i got to say it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy when i tell the shop to kiss my a**. on rare occasions the person that had the vehicle removed from my shop calls and asks if they can tow it back. "sure" but it goes to the end of the line..........................................................
protraxrptr17

Post by protraxrptr17 »

Ooooh, that's sweet. Don't happen very often but it sure does feel good. It hurts when somebody says you charge too much even when you know that you don't.

Return to “MEMBER REPAIR TIPS”