Spark Plug Inserts?

Information and links to Repair assets on the forum
jbadenoch
400 Club: Mega-Star Contributor

Spark Plug Inserts?

Post by jbadenoch »

I am betting most of you have a good bit of experience with spark plug inserts to repair when a plug has blow out. What is your success/fail rate for this and any tips you may have?
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

Re: spark plug inserts

Post by Tim Martin »

They work about 50% of the time. I will not fool with them anymore.
jbadenoch

Post by jbadenoch »

That's been my experiance, just wondered if I was out there by myself. We will see what others have to say... in this case I think Steve's signature may be very fitting :lol:
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

I use time cert and they work 100 % of the time and I use them alot. Im using them right now on a caddy 4.6 head bolts. I do alot of ford spark plugs with them. Id highly recomend them
nickscarcare
750 Club: World Class Contributor
750 Club: World Class Contributor

Post by nickscarcare »

I was going to say the only ones I used were the time cert ones and I never had them come back with a problem.
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.

507-345-6425
http://www.nickscarcare.com
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: Spark Plug Inserts?

Post by steven kiser »

with the proper repair tools i haven't had an issue. the trick is doing it correctly. don't get me wrong when i say correctly, not dissing here. when you cut the new threads they need to be thoroughly cleaned. cast heads are porous and really heed to be cleaned, while aluminum are fairly easy to clean. thread sealer needs to be used and allowed to set up. the taps must remain sharp and clean so the insert will install easily. the problem i see a lot is impatience. people will purchase the do it yourself kit at the part store and tear into it like a prime rib. you can't install the insert with the plug. i see this a lot. we go to tune and a plug comes out with the insert on it. another point here is that it seems that each kit has it's own thread pitch so if you try to re-cut with another one the head really gets messed up. the snap on kit was a bit :shock: more than others but was well worth it. it cuts 100% and straight. a lot of others seem to cut at a slight angle. i use "heli coil" for all other applications but shy away when it comes to spark plugs. i switched to snap on after my parts suppliers started switching from brand to brand. they weren't compatible. well enough for me. i have no issue installing inserts. however if one comes in blown out, the head comes off. i always pull the plugs on the other head to make sure there aren't any inserts in that one as well. if so i quote two. make sure the company you're getting them from will accept the heads as cores. i got stuck for 150 clams one time. some do and some don't.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

I suppose that the reason I tend to be fairly pessimistic regarding spark plug inserts is because I see the vehicle after another person or shop has tried repairs and it hasn't worked. The vehicle winds up here and I am expected to perform a miracle of some kind after the other guys couldn't. Wow! I have seen it all. Had one not so long ago where the guy tried to JB Weld the plug into the hole after other repairs didn't work. You talk about an ugly mess. Where do some, well I will not call them techs, but where do some of these wannabees get their ideas from? is beyond me. You gotta be kidding me that these fellows get paid to mess up like this!

So, from that angle is why I say that I do not have a very good feeling about spark plug inserts.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

the internet is a wonderful thing. i watched a "how to" install your own lower ball joint. fred flintstone would have walked away from that one. it's amazing that these people survive with all their fingers, well i've seen a few missing fingers in some videos. i watched a "tech" at another shop trying to seat a 19.5. finally he decided to use either. apparently he had seen it on the internet. i tried to stop him before he started. i tried to explain that he had the wrong side of the tire facing down. if you're going to pop the tire you need the high side of the wheel facing down to keep the rubber off the floor or on a 5 gallon bucket. i got the "i know what i'm doing look". well he loaded it up with either and ignited it. it came about three feet off the ground, started spinning around, knocked a bunch of tools off the bench, etc. he looked over to me and i gave him the "dumb a**" look and laughed. i told him i always enjoy watching experts in action. remember these people breed and usually have someone standing next to them that thinks that it's a great idea. sometimes i have a hard time with the fact that someone actually thought it would work and am floored when someone else argues the point along side of them. i had a vehicle come in after another shop repaired the brakes. the customer wasn't happy with how the pedal felt. not only were their compression fittings but, are you ready for this, fuel injection line spliced in. i called the shop that did it and since the line said high pressure they felt there wasn't anything wrong with the work. i did make a call because my family and friends are on the same roads that other vehicles with splices from that shop are on. if you've been working on vehicles for as long as i have you've probably seen a lot. if not, just wait, you'll see things that will just scare and anger you. i try not to bash other shops but in situations like this i'll drag out the soap box and block traffic. they probably charge twice a reputable shop would to repair it correctly.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

I also use the Time-Cert's. 100% effective.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
mopwrforme
200 Club: Major Contributor
200 Club: Major Contributor

Post by mopwrforme »

ive watched as inserts were put in a v-10 ford they were new to me they came from the cornwell tool guy ford oem tool is what he was trying to sell me. as his buddy installed them. he hasnt had a problem yet i just dont like the jb weild thats used. or the fact you use the spark plug as an insertion tool as stated i could see a lot of inserts coming out with the spark plug. i use the time serts as well with 100% fix rate no problems yet i like the fact that you use a tool from time sert to flair the inner portion of the insert that insures you its not comeing back out. they work just be carefull take your time or it can cost you a lot of money if you dont have the customer preped for the worst. i will inform the customer that i am at this time recomending you replace the cyl. head that has blown the plug. times as they are the less expensive way is the time sert. only time will tell if its a reliable fix... i think it will be thats why i give a warr. with the instaltion.
perfection-automotive.net
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

Ive used the timeserts on spark plugs as long as like 5 yrs ago with so far 0 come backs

Return to “MEMBER REPAIR TIPS”