Ford Exhaust Manifolds

Information and links to Repair assets on the forum
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Ford Exhaust Manifolds

Post by steven kiser »

My last post made me think I should post this. I've done a lot of Ford exhaust manifolds and by far the best way I've found is I use a torch, burn the studs flush with the manifold then burn, melt the manifold into two or three sections and pry the pieces off leaving the remainder of the studs in the head. I purchased a palm held nail driver at Lowes, get it in there and pound the studs with two or three short bursts. My Snap On dealer sold me a stud remover that looks just like a drill chuck and works like a charm. I drop it over the stud and use my mini 3/8 air ratchet on it and the studs have never snapped when I've done it this way. I only use the up dated studs and nuts from Ford. The manifold seems to go on easier with them as opposed to the ones from the parts store or if they come in the Dorman box with the manifold. I always order the oil dip stick tube for the truck and depending on what transmission a tube for it as well. I've spent way to much time the first few trucks trying to save or get around the tubes. The oil one usually breaks flush with the block and I have a punch I made to fit perfectly and drive the remainder of the tube into the oil pan. It will sit in the bottom of the pan and have no effect on the engine.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Return to “MEMBER REPAIR TIPS”