HELP! Instrument cluster

Information and links to Repair assets on the forum
KGA
100 Club: Active Contributor

HELP! Instrument cluster

Post by KGA »

Can anyone help me figure out what vehicle this instrument cluster might be out of and year?
Our customer thought it belonged with the vehicle we are working on but nope.
Thanks for any help
Attachments
IMG_20141117_163208.jpg
IMG_20141117_163208.jpg (14.86 KiB) Viewed 3488 times
IMG_20141117_163220.jpg
IMG_20141117_163220.jpg (17.35 KiB) Viewed 3488 times
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

Re: HELP! Instrument cluster

Post by Tim Martin »

My guess is an early eighties chevy g series van.
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by steven kiser »

I would be inclined to go along with an early G.M. vehicle.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
KGA

Post by KGA »

Thank you for the help. So far looks like its from a 1970 GMC Vandura van, that its the optional cluster for this vehicle. Now to find the connector for it lol :?
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

Just a suggestion here. It sounds like (to me anyway) your rehabbing or making something for this customer. If it were in my shop I would work along the lines of getting something that fits both our needs. First and most important is getting something that I'm exact on what it is and will be able to work with it. The speedo may or may not be correct because we don't know the ratio of the speedo drive gear to the speedo head. The other gauges may depend on a thermal resistor and the % is unknown at this point. It's a basic cluster that you have but it looks like it's been kicked across a parking lot or two and the functionality is at best questionable. I've seen on a few of those reality auto garage shows that they've purchased clusters and all the fixins for builds that they are doing. The hard part isn't getting it to fit, it's getting it to function to your standards. I've worked on equipment, vehicles and whatever's where the customer was satisfied it was partially correct and was willing to take it that way. My name was attached to it and even though it was his I didn't want friends of his looking things over and seeing the item I worked on wasn't up to high standards and would give me a bad reputation. For the most part anything we work on in my shop is 100% or to the best of out ability for the most part.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Rich
4K Ultra Amazing Contributor
4K Ultra Amazing Contributor

Post by Rich »

I see nothing in LMC, maybe check Summit? They have a ton of old school goodness
Rich Hays
Work 9-11 or 616-696-0020
Being able to get CAPE off a Skew T chart is important in this hobby.

Return to “MEMBER REPAIR TIPS”