2007 FJ Cruiser: Incorrect Oil Weight?

Information and links to Repair assets on the forum
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Re: 2007 FJ Cruiser: Incorrect Oil Weight

Post by brianp87 »

Could there be a tsb that asks for it to be changed to 5w20 ive seen that before on something else
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by ricmorin »

I believe that is the case here. Looks like TSB EG018-06 sets the oil to 5w20.

TIP: We've run into this at the shop and the techs sometimes question the weight when it differs from the cap. We've started placing a label on the cap that refers to the TSB and the new weight for our own customers.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

ricmorin wrote:I believe that is the case here. Looks like TSB EG018-06 sets the oil to 5w20.

TIP: We've run into this at the shop and the techs sometimes question the weight when it differs from the cap. We've started placing a label on the cap that refers to the TSB and the new weight for our own customers.

Is it bad if I feel like if a quicky lube(walmart or a garbage shop) put in the wrong stuff it serves them right for not going to a good place ..... We see a lot of issues with crap oils and extended intervals.
steven kiser

Re: 2007 FJ Cruiser: Incorrect Oil Weight?

Post by steven kiser »

Man isn't it fun being in this business with today's vehicles. I'm an old fart and remember when 10 oil filters covered 90% this included cartridge and the optional long oil filter. Six air filters, one coolant, one grease, one brake fluid, and oil consisted of 20, 30, 10/30 and 10/40. 10 weight was stocked but collected dust. 4 head lamps then the square ones showed up and it was a big deal when radial tires hit the road. All truck tires had tubes and liners and repairing a tire meant a 50/50 chance of patching a tube or tire. I didn't know how to plug a tire and resisted until my boss made me until the steel belted radials started cutting through the plugs. We would filter the used oil through old felt hat's and use it in out cars. Today my TBA inventory including all the oils and specialty fluids is well over 10 grand. My stock of oils being just 10 cases of each one we use is over 200 cases. I do overdue a bit since I offer two levels of synthetic and Pentossin oil for a few juiced up European and Asian applications.

Now getting to the point here. It's my job as the owner to either make sure my son keeps on top of all the service updates or do it myself. I never assume all is well with the industry. The point I was going to make in the first part until I went rouge is back then there were no real changes for 3 or 4 years with the exception of cosmetics. Now I constantly see changes and updates over and over again. It's common to see something changed or updated as it's called during production. I'm seeing build dates being asked for enough so I added it to my input sheet for new vehicles. I also print out the update and give it to the customer so when he looks at the lube sticker he doesn't jump to the conclusion that I'm just like a low bottom lube shack. Many years ago my favorite tool was the multi meter, mow it's my communication skills and my ability to stay on top of any changes made or tsb's that can save a customer a big pain and me a huge head ache. Well enough here and I know I ran with this but sometimes when I get going on yester year and today's automotive industry I tend to compare it to a bottle rocket and an Atlas Missile.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
John C.
500 Club: Champion Contributor
500 Club: Champion Contributor

Post by John C. »

ricmorin wrote:I believe that is the case here. Looks like TSB EG018-06 sets the oil to 5w20.

Some RAV4s too, I believe the V6 engines. We also put a note in the vehicle "memo" referencing the TSB, so it pops up when creating an RO.
John C.

Return to “MEMBER REPAIR TIPS”