Borg Warner Transfer Cases

Information and links to Repair assets on the forum
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Borg Warner Transfer Cases

Post by steven kiser »

Don't know why I haven't mentioned this before but certain BW transfer cases have a huge issue with locater forks wearing out. So far I've dealt with two in Chevrolet / Hummer SUV's and three in Ford Pickups. The only tricky one was in a Hummer otherwise it took less than a half an hour to separate and replace the forks. The fork in the Hummer was either a hard plastic or nylon and the replacement is cast Alum. The Fords were cast and the oil pick up screens were plugged with sludge. Otherwise I found no other damage in them and I saved the customer a buck or two and even though the ticket price was lower my profit was 30 to 50% more.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

Re: Borg Warner Transfer Cases

Post by Tim Martin »

Steve, do you recall what year those vehicles were?
steven kiser

Re: Borg Warner Transfer Cases

Post by steven kiser »

Not off the top of my head but if you go to TSB's it will pop up. A quick look showed the Fords were in the late 90's and the GM's were 06. The last one I did I just You Tubed the B/W number. B/W NR3 and NR4 cases on the GM's. Not entirely sure on the Fords but my flow of diagnostics is simply start, put foot on brake, put in gear, move 4w lever back and forth, put in park slowly and once you feel the park pawl starting to engage shut it off, put in park, order the location fork. It's not possible to do it in vehicle and remember, anyone in the snow belt, the labor guide isn't very friendly since it doesn't consider the salt and rust issues we face.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Return to “MEMBER REPAIR TIPS”