Oil Fill Capacities

Information and links to Repair assets on the forum
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

Oil Fill Capacities

Post by Tim Martin »

My fellow men: When the engine oil is being changed in a vehicle, how do you determine how much oil and what kind of oil to put back in the engine? Say you look it up and MOD says it takes 6 quart, do you simply put 6 quart in and stop at that even though the dipstick shows barely above the add mark or do you add till the dipstick shows full?
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Re: Oil Fill Capacities

Post by brianp87 »

There are usually two marks on the sticks. Almost always the amount put in is safely between the two. Some times the measurement depends on how long it the vehicle has been sitting since started. If checked immediately after running it should read lower then if it has sat. I do agree with checking after servicing to make sure the metered gun if used is accurate.
Rich
4K Ultra Amazing Contributor

Post by Rich »

I use Mitchell as a guide. When the tech is done I confirm amount used. Then correct amount in my Revision 9.
Rich Hays
Work 9-11 or 616-696-0020
Being able to get CAPE off a Skew T chart is important in this hobby.
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

So, the dipstick is not used as a measurement of when the "full" level is reached? I realize, I'm old school, so to speak, but my concern is when the customer checks the oil level the next morning and it isn't full, he comes back to us saying "You didn't put the correct amount of oil in". How do we handle a situation like that?
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by ricmorin »

ProDemand is our source of oil capacities. We back that up with a physical check on the dipstick and if there is a discrepancy we defer to the dipstick. We then record the corrected amount in our Rev9 stored oil change. Cars always leave with oil on the full mark, regardless of what ProDemand states.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Well, I thought so. Yesterday it happened again to me. I changed oil in a 2017 Chevy Impala. MOD says it takes 6 quart of 5-30 DEXOS oil. So, that is what I put in. However, after running the engine after oil change and refilling, the oil level barely made it to the hatched area between "add" and "full". So, it leaves me wondering ............
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

We run into that from time to time. Always defer to the stick. It has the final say IMO.
603-622-6434 x203

steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

I refer to the fluid option on the work order page. I tag any I'm in need of and transfer to order. Obviously I know it's just a guide and not Gospel so I run and check. However, on the vehicles that there is no dip stick to check levels such as BMW's and other European vehicles I will go directly to the owners manual copy the page and staple it to the work order to prove I did it to mfg specs. I also will keep a copy for myself to lessen the need for glove compartment diving. I'm getting pretty good at nailing the specs using Google as well. Sometimes I discover dealer receipts that will give me a fluid amount and value to use the correct fluid and adjust my invoice if necessary. I will adjust either way, it may be is a small way un ethical but what the hell I get porked that way by other shops and dealers as well. My battle cry is always be fluid specific, no matter what any vehicle gets what's call for and the only fluid I will consider openly using is the green antifreeze. Tim was in my shop last week and was reveling in the controlled mess and can testify to the truth in what I'm saying. Without doing a hands on count I'll guess my fluid inventory by specs not volume including all the oils, coolant types, p/s, and transmission fluids is close to 40 types and as a rule each type consists of 5 to 10 cases or bulk tanks with air powered filling heads. Again in todays day and age correct fluid (not universal or this should work crap) is a necessity we as true techs must follow to a T. I've personally seen and worked on engines, transmissions, transfer cases that have grenaded because some moron used incorrect fluid or filters on the vehicle. Enough from me on this but I'm glad to see others paying close attention to fluid types and volume.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Rich

Post by Rich »

For us if M1 says it takes 4.5 quarts, i tell the guys 4.5. They start with that. If it takes 5.5 to actually fill it, i change it in R9 to 5.5. We ALWAYS check the dipstick.
Rich Hays
Johnny5
500 Club: Champion Contributor
500 Club: Champion Contributor

Post by Johnny5 »

Do you fill the filter with oil before installing when possible. This happens ALL THE TIME on my motorcycle unless I 'top off' the filter first. It may not be practical on 4 doors cages. :)
John Dwulet AKA: Johnny5
Retired - Mitchell1
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

I very rarely run into a vehicle when the spec says an amount and it does not put in the safe zone on the cross hatches. Do you all see it a lot?
Rich

Post by Rich »

I seldom find Mitchell being off. My numbers were random numbers.

(lack of sleep, up all night at a car accident, brain in fog)
Rich Hays
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Occasionally. Maybe 1 out 50?
603-622-6434 x203

Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

MOD typically agrees with OEM. My concern was that by using the figures given by both OEM & MOD, at times they do not bring the oil level up to the full mark. Then what?

Thanks guys for your input.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

I've found Mitchell to be extremely accurate but always check fluid level no matter what. Everyone makes mistake including Mitchell and don't want a misprint to cost me an engine.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Ok, so it is Monday morning. I have this 2012 Hyundai Sonata with a 2.4L VIN C engine. MOD calls for 4.86 quart. So, I put that in. Ran the engine. Checked oil level after a few minutes. Barely above the "ADD" mark. So, I add 3/4 quart. That brings it up to the full mark.

In the interest of customer satisfaction, I guess we are forced to check oil level after putting in what is called for and make sure it is full before it leaves the shop. And, now, I have another issue I need to decide on. Am I going to bill the customer for what it calls for or do I charge for what we actually used? I'll need to decide.
Rich

Post by Rich »

I would get into the revision 9 and change to what you actually used. Make a note "MOD says 4.86, it really takes 5.25" or what ever.

YES! you bill the customer for what they got. If they complain it is just a "guide".
Rich Hays
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Rich wrote:I would get into the revision 9
Sorry for exposing my ignorance but what is Revision 9? Sounds like something I need to get familiar with.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

I only worry if the oil level is at the very bottom or under the hash marks. If it is in the range then that is acceptable in my opinion. Revision # 9 is the 9th revision on your revision tabs. That is commonly where a person would keep Common maintance items to copy and past to the order to keep from having to type every time. So lof's would be stored there, caf's etc. I store maint interval, maint light,etc under the memo's for the vehicle.

Return to “MEMBER REPAIR TIPS”