2005-2008 Ford - Broken Spark Plugs

Information and links to Repair assets on the forum
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 2005-2008 Ford - Broken Spark Plugs

Post by steven kiser »

The porcelain is broken and it needs to be pounded down so the tap can fit. On some of these the palm hammer comes in real handy. I cut the threads, put in the extractor and then spray in PB. I think it's kind of a mental thing like having chicken bones on your Bingo Card. Wait a while then extract the plug extension. The extraction process is a take your time one and uses my patience to a max. I've extracted many of these and never have had an issue with porcelain in the cylinders or the extension being driven into the cylinder. I have a long punch that i've ground the tip to fit into the extension and the other end fits into the palm hammer.

As a rule i will spin the engine over for a second or two a few times to clear out the broken porcelain. If you're going to have another person spin the engine over while you watch WEAR SAFETY GLASSES because the porcelain can really do a # on an eye. I got a piece (of porcelain) that hit me in the face just above my safety glasses and it took a bit to dig it out to stop the bleeding.

Another quick point before i finish. I clean the port in the head with a round brass brush and top end cleaner before i install the plugs. I do this on all cylinders and it makes it so much easier to install the plugs and never never use anti seize.

Charge accordingly, i get an hour labor per plug minimum.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

Post by Tim Martin »

So if I am understanding this right, you simply break the porcelain and let the pieces fall into the combustion chamber, correct? Then. after I have the shell taken out, what, run the engine so the broken porcelain pieces fly out or how do you do that? Or should I stick a vacuum hose down into the cylinder and remove it that way?

I have one of those kits from MAC Tools to remove these nasty things with but have not used it yet.
nickscarcare
750 Club: World Class Contributor

Post by nickscarcare »

The kit I have from Lisle pushes the porcelain down and when I hear a crack, which is the strap on the bottom of the plug I stop. Then install the remover part and with some patience they usually come out. I always turn the engine over after each plug, and if I see pieces missing off the plug, in goes the borescope to make sure none is left in the cylinder. I am not sure which tool you have, but I have heard the ones that you have to glue to the porcelain don't work well. I love my Lisile one, and so far can usually do these in about 4 hours. The last one I did took 6, and this was the lowest mileage truck and hea was even running fuel cleaner through it. Truck only had 70k on it. Have fun, hope you have hair left when you are done! LOL :D :lol:
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.

507-345-6425
http://www.nickscarcare.com
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

The lesle one is the best. the glue type which ford uses at the dealers does suck its a pain in the you know what
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

if porcelain gets in it gets in. Cranking it over to blow it out has not resulted in any issues.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Guys! I did it! Got my first one out with no problem.

Thanks for all the tips. I am greatly indebted to ya.
nickscarcare

Post by nickscarcare »

Conrats!!!!! Now you are ready to do many more. They usually are not that bad once you do the first.
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.

507-345-6425
http://www.nickscarcare.com
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Yea, I agree. As mentioned, the kit I use is the one where you tap the shield and insert the puller and thread the shell out. Actually not that bad. As mentioned elsewhere - take it easy and slow.

Got one coming in later this month to do all eight.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

Tim Martin wrote:Yea, I agree. As mentioned, the kit I use is the one where you tap the shield and insert the puller and thread the shell out. Actually not that bad. As mentioned elsewhere - take it easy and slow.

Got one coming in later this month to do all eight.
All eight? are we thinking that they're going to break and since your first was a breeze it doesn't matter? In my case i've had a few where it wasn't even close to being easy. I always take as much caution as possible and find that if i do so my % of breaks is is less than 10%.
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Well, it is premature to assume all 8 will break off but if any do, we got just a little experience to go on so far as removing a broken one out.

For today, I got to replace a water pump on a 99 Intrepid with a 2.7L engine. And we all know what they are like.
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

I just did this job yesterday. Got it in the night before, pulled coils off, sprayed PB Blaster in the holes and only 1 plug came out whole. Got me a Lisle kit and actually that one works better than does the MAC one. But we got the other seven out. So, I have started a trophy section of my toolbox.

Great Kit, that Lisle one is. Works well. Looking forward to the next one.

My advice to anyone doing this job? Take it slowly and carefully. Don't get angry or pushy.
jbadenoch
400 Club: Mega-Star Contributor
400 Club: Mega-Star Contributor

Post by jbadenoch »

My advice to anyone doing this job? Take it slowly and carefully. Don't get angry or pushy. /////////////////// In other words, "have patience, don't be one" lol?

Return to “MEMBER REPAIR TIPS”