Scanners For Ford Diesels

Information and links to Repair assets on the forum
swood

Scanners For Ford Diesels

Post by swood »

What scanners out there are the best for the ford diesel. We are maintaining a fleet of ambulances that all run 6.0l. We have a snapon solus but it seems limited on what it will do for the diesels. Thanks Sam
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: Scanners

Post by steven kiser »

i use the snappy solus as well as the ford star tester. BUT as a rule diesels can be a bit set apart. bent push rods won't come up in a scan and million hour engine is just going to be a pain unless it's blown or there is a fuel issue. if you've just started working on these beauties buckle in for a ride. just like anything else after a while of banging your heads and smashing your knuckles you'll become an expert. don't be afraid to ask questions and i hope your getting good money working on these. we work on diesels and may i suggest a few things. get a good battery cable manufacturing set up, flat stock for fabrication of brackets and drive shaft cages. a good selection of wire, plastic conduit, and weather proof wire connectors. i've worked on ambulances in the past and it takes a lot of practice, patience, savvy, and skill. there isn't one that's the same. i have a great rebuilder i use for the alternators and would suggest you find one you can trust. the after market remans would be better suited as chok bloks. i would make the owner of the ambulance company pay you to have at least one alternator, starter, and injector pump on your shelf. i have a good plazma cutter and mig welder. if you work on these ambulances on a regular basis i suggest you look into getting these. some of the brackets are fabricated and you'll have to do this as well. oh ya, if you are going to do any engine swaps use jasper for the engine and either reinforce your hoist or get an otc. i have two. one that lifts with a boom (i made an adaptor that bolts onto the top of the intake) and the one that bolts onto the front of the engine. it all depends on how much room is available. oh ya, another tool that's come in real handy is the hydraulic and a/c line collar crushing tool. i know i'm a bit long winded here :shock: :lol: but there is way more to consider than a scan tool when it comes to ambulances. these things are in a class by themselves. nothing is the same. one more thing, :shock: if they are ford chassis the suspension may be listed under a chassis listing. don't go with the series. even the gvw can be misleading. i don't miss working on these. i've been around for many years and i know i'll be working on them again. there is a major ambulance service moving into the area and they have contacted me about working on their ambulances. get paid what your worth and get paid as you go. i strongly suggest not billing monthly and not giving discounts. a shop that will work on these with any amount of sucess and turn around time is worth every penny. don't sell yourself short.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
swood

Post by swood »

Thanks Steve for the advice. I've been doing their work for the last couple years and yes they are the most difficult thing I've ever worked on and they pay for for that difficulty. I didn't know if there was a better scanner availble for diesels.
We do a fair amount of fabrication as they abuse the crap out of everything they touch.
I don't have a rebuilder they want new parts used.
We have been lucky we haven't had to do a motor yet but I'll keep Jasper i mind.
Be sure, now that I know this site is here I will be asking lots of questions!!! Thanks for the advice and help Sam
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

no problem.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

I work on ambulances and they have 6.0L's 7.3L's and a new sprinter for the 6.0L I use my mastertech but I do have a snapon modus? Depends what ur looking for in its functions. Btw the 6.0L are born broke
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

Re: Scanners For Ford Diesels

Post by Tim Martin »

I use a MAC Mentor Pro. It works well for me in most if not all situations so far. It is bi directional and i also use mode 6 alot in the diesel work that i do, especially on the fords. I did find out with the Mentor that it pays to keep it updated with the latest and greatest software.

On reman engines, Jasper is the only way to go. My advice is that you get the complete drop in motor. Costs more initially but you get a better warranty and I feel a better engine.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

I did a motor and trans on a 7.3L ambulance with everything needed it was alotta $
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Yea, BIG dollars. They musta like that amby much.
swood

Post by swood »

Has anyone ever used a scanner from OEMTools.com? Suppose to be the same as what dealers use.
I have a friend that has access to a scanner from a dealer it's a laptop with ford only software and it was amazing what he could do with it. Seems like if you had access to that kind of info it could pay off pretty quick.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

lap tops are the up and coming scanner. snap on has one out and it can handle the programs from other companies. the lap top for the diesels are just for the diesels i think. i know that cat and international have been using them for a while. i try to stay on top of the scanner information and i'll keep you posted...............a friend of mine works for a bus company and that's what they use.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

Tim Martin wrote:Yea, BIG dollars. They musta like that amby much.
Yes better then a new cost wise and anythings better then a 6.0L :lol:
Stellers Garage
50 Club: Regular Contributor

Post by Stellers Garage »

swood wrote:What scanners out there are the best for the ford diesel. We are maintaining a fleet of ambulances that all run 6.0l. We have a snapon solus but it seems limited on what it will do for the diesels. Thanks Sam
I suggest if you work on Fords, and plenty of them, you purchase a I.D.S.
That is the factory/dealer scan tool. I have had one for a year and it has helped us out tons.
PM me if you are looking for purchase info.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

Stellers Garage wrote:
swood wrote:What scanners out there are the best for the ford diesel. We are maintaining a fleet of ambulances that all run 6.0l. We have a snapon solus but it seems limited on what it will do for the diesels. Thanks Sam
I suggest if you work on Fords, and plenty of them, you purchase a I.D.S.
That is the factory/dealer scan tool. I have had one for a year and it has helped us out tons.
PM me if you are looking for purchase info.
i have on and it's a life saver when needed. as far a s quick hits i use the snappy scanner but for body issues, abs, restraint etc the oem scanner is a huge plus.
Eddie8

Post by Eddie8 »

The best scanner for working on ford diesels is the ids.....period :mrgreen:
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Eddie8 wrote:The best scanner for working on ford diesels is the ids.....period :mrgreen:
I don't doubt what you are saying. In what ways is the IDS scan tool superior to the other choices? I work on many Ford diesels and, I suppose my curiousity is at the point where I am wondering what I am missing. My MAC Mentor Pro has been doing everything I need to diagnose the powerstrokes so far, especially when I go into Mode 6 data.
Eddie8

Post by Eddie8 »

The mac mentor cant due cylinder balance test and it can't program. The ids has alot more bi-directional controls. The IDS can command the IPS which the mentor or the snappy can't. Also, its the factory tool.
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Eddie8 wrote:The mac mentor cant due cylinder balance test and it can't program. The ids has alot more bi-directional controls. The IDS can command the IPS which the mentor or the snappy can't. Also, its the factory tool.
So far as programming, the ids would be able to do only the Ford products. Is that right?
Eddie8

Post by Eddie8 »

The Ford IDS is able to program Fords,Jaguar,Land Rover and Mazda.
Its a very good tool as well and is run on a laptop
Stellers Garage

Post by Stellers Garage »

So what did you get? :lol:
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

you can purchase the additional cards on e/bay saving a few bucks along with the saab card if you have a tech 2.

Return to “MEMBER REPAIR TIPS”