Detailed Specific Info When Asking For Help In WRENCH

Information and links to Repair assets on the forum
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Detailed Specific Info When Asking For Help In WRENCH

Post by steven kiser »

I would just love to see a specific information flow necessary to post a question in vehicle repair; this could also be included in other areas. I don't think a bit of defined specific information is to much to ask.

In the "keeping it simple" rule, what's simple for the questioner may not be for the tech that replies. I love this forum, it's that simple. If I see a post I feel the need to reply if it's within my ability to offer helpful information. My post about the 'ford that wouldn't start' was a Mel Brooks version of Star Wars. Personally, I need direction. If something is left to me to muddle through, we never know where we'll end up.

Along the lines of make, model, year, production date, gvw for trucks, maybe wheelbase, brief history relating to issue, what, where, why was anything just done to vehicle, oem or after market. I hope before a post is made oem or known good is on the vehicle, engine codes, size, transmission type, symptom, etc.

I don't mind replying or even asking for information to help the poster. I really don't care if I get a thank's or reply to my post. I belong to this forum for strictly selfish reasons. It makes me feel good and I can use it to break a run of stressful or "high anxiety" issues. That was another Mel Brooks reference. I wonder if anyone with the exception of Tim hit on that, but "all ya'll" know what i'm talking about. threw that in for the southern members of the forum, sorry :shock: I didn't fit "eh?" in for all my associates north of the border. OK, OK, "chier" for all y'all in Louisiana.

I'm getting a bit more off base that usual. hey that reminds me where's lil joe?
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
asample
300 Club: Superstar Contributor
300 Club: Superstar Contributor

Re: Detailed Specific Info When Asking For Help In WRENCH

Post by asample »

iatn suffered the same issues a long time ago and now has a sheet to fill out before you can post a query much to the same format that Steve mentioned. Works well.
Arlin G. Sample
Automotive Services of All Sorts, Inc.
Greeley, CO 80631
970-352-5598
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

To briefly paraphrase what iATN does, here are the steps that members have to agree to before posting for help:

1. You must first offer help to other members' TechHelp requests.
2. Spend time on the problem yourself before asking others for help.
3. Supply all the vehicle information and relevant test data.
4. Follow up with the "FIX" (and more details when requested).
5. Share what you learn, even if you never fix the vehicle.
6. Posting limits and rating system are in effect.

Granted, their membership is much much larger (worldwide) and repairs are a huge part of iATN, so their software is very sophisicated in this regard. We can adopt/adapt some of this and post into each WRENCH topic as an announcment after a little more discussion.
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
fortknoxx
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Post by fortknoxx »

i'd be happy with year, make, mod, and most imp engine size.
then describe what is happening and when. I have given up on replying to posts that don't have the information that we need to help.
T-N-T (Tina Nuse-Tolar)
Gone but not forgotten...Camper Bob's

609-760-7079 Cell
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

Just a quick reminder about WRENCH posts

1. Please put these in subject line: 4 digit YEAR, MAKE, MODEL then a dash before what the issue is

2. Start the post with a brief sentence about the vehicle engine, trans, fuel etc and the specific problem.

3. Give us a paragraph about the issue as to what's already been checked and any other particulars

4. Sign off with "anybody seen this before? etc and most importantly THANKS
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer

Return to “MEMBER REPAIR TIPS”