Input Shaft Cleanup?

Information and links to Repair assets on the forum
a&mauto
500 Club: Champion Contributor

Input Shaft Cleanup?

Post by a&mauto »

Anyone have a slick trick to clean up an input shaft on a manual transmission? The part that goes inside of the pilot bearing. I am trying to get this truck back on the road Thursday afternoon. Customer doesnt have the time or money to fix it right. I know, I know, no kind deed goes unpunished. Everytime we try to help someone out it comes back to bite us in the dupa. This will be the last time...........................
Adam Jadovitz
A & M Automotive
Lake Elsinore, CA
951-245-1562
http://www.aandmautorepair.com
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: Input Shaft

Post by steven kiser »

tall order, if the shaft is scored bad you're pretty much over it unless you are set up for it. if the bearing spun on the shaft and it's workable you can take sand paper and smooth it out. i purchase belts for belt sanders and tear them into strips. there are thin strips or rolls of sand paper available but i find the belts give me better choice as far a composition and grit. use the strip like you see the shoe shiners use a cloth and just work the shaft. but if your not set up for machine work it's a real shot in the dark. if you're not dead nuts when you do it you can trash the bearing when you install the transmissions. work the shaft and make sure the bearing slides on smoothly. another question comes to mind. is it a bearing or bushing. there is a difference, some trucks and most older (i mean older) use bushings, a brass slug. if you have a bushing there are other ways of doing this. a bushing is a centering guide only and the shaft will spin with the engine and a bearing will allow the shaft to spin at a different speed. i know i'm kind of going over board in my description. what kind of truck is this? if your jammed up and need help use the phone. sometimes i only hit the forum once or twice a day. yes, one time is usually around 5ish in the morning.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
wbuxton
1000 Club: Interstellar
1000 Club: Interstellar

Post by wbuxton »

We use emory cloth and a silicone bronze bushing on all replacements.
Uncle PETA said I could come back.
William
Weatherford, TX
817-599-7680
866-744-3887
http://www.phoenixtrans.com
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

Post by Tim Martin »

wbuxton wrote:We use emory cloth and a silicone bronze bushing on all replacements.
Same here for us when we do one.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

Tim Martin wrote:
wbuxton wrote:We use emory cloth and a silicone bronze bushing on all replacements.
Same here for us when we do one.
+1
a&mauto

Re: Input Shaft Cleanup?

Post by a&mauto »

Thanks You Guys! We too have used strips of sand paper and emory cloth. It is/ was a bearing not a bushing. You all think a bushing stands a better chance of abuse? It is a 92 Ranger. I will look for one now.
Thanks Again,
Adam
Adam Jadovitz
A & M Automotive
Lake Elsinore, CA
951-245-1562
a&mauto

Post by a&mauto »

A BCA PB652HD fits like a glove. Now the customer has to make the final decision.
Adam Jadovitz
A & M Automotive
Lake Elsinore, CA
951-245-1562
fortknoxx
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Post by fortknoxx »

a&mauto wrote:Thanks You Guys! We too have used strips of sand paper and emory cloth. It is/ was a bearing not a bushing. You all think a bushing stands a better chance of abuse? It is a 92 Ranger. I will look for one now.
Thanks Again,
Adam
the race is on
T-N-T (Tina Nuse-Tolar)
Gone but not forgotten...Camper Bob's

609-760-7079 Cell
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

a&mauto wrote:A BCA PB652HD fits like a glove. Now the customer has to make the final decision.
In a situation like this, is it the most appropriate to give the customer the option?
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

Tim Martin wrote:
a&mauto wrote:A BCA PB652HD fits like a glove. Now the customer has to make the final decision.
In a situation like this, is it the most appropriate to give the customer the option?
I almost always leave desions to the customer. Example you have no fuel pressure. But you have power to pump. I call to get permission for tank removal to check pump and give est for pump as it is most likely. Then you drop tank pump out and no gas. Guage doesnt work. I call customer and let them know and decide do they want gaurenteed fix? pump and gas. Or just fuel no guage and hope the pump works?
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

you must fully educate the customer on the options. there may be a chance that no matter what, if it fails, you didn't warn him of all the pit falls. i don't make suggestions in situations like this. i tell them the pro's and con's and let them make the choice. remember, they're making their choice based on what you tell them. in a weird way, no matter what, you'll be to blame if it fails and they'll take the credit if it works. right is right, wrong is wrong. remember that.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Return to “MEMBER REPAIR TIPS”