Frozen AC Line Nuts

Information and links to Repair assets on the forum
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

Frozen AC Line Nuts

Post by Tim Martin »

How does one remove a nut that is frozen or galded fast to the metal line on an AC system? I have had quite a few in the last few years that have given me grief and in thinking about the upcoming AC season, I am hoping to have a better idea how to remove these nuts rather than have to replace the entire line just because of a stuck nut.
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: Frozen AC Line Nuts

Post by ricmorin »

I've added a little heat to them with a propane torch...real quick then hit it with a bit of wd-40. Let it sit. Then crack it loose. Change the orings, lol.

I wonder if those inductor tools would work?
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

it does work but as a rule i always tell the customer that i may have to replace lines until i get one to separate. if i'm replacing a particular line and the attaching nut is an outside fit i'll slice it with a cut off wheel and split the nut with a screw driver. it's funny that the ones that are clean and shiny are the ones (at least what i find) that strip on. the scaly ones that look like they've been at the bottom of a pond for years alway's seem to spin right off.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

Man I dont have that problem around here. ususally they just pop off
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

brianp87 wrote:Man I dont have that problem around here. ususally they just pop off
Ain't you lucky!
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Ahh the ones that really bite are the GM vehicles with the evaporator nut almost flush with the firewall. Ya know the one back behind the motor that is soooooooooooo easy to get to, an here it is stuck fast. Not going anywhere.
Ruger77
50 Club: Regular Contributor
50 Club: Regular Contributor

Post by Ruger77 »

Same problem here in Indiana. Here it's propane torch, wd-40, die grinder, etc. Had several last year.
sbebenelli
750 Club: World Class Contributor
750 Club: World Class Contributor

Post by sbebenelli »

We have the same problem in Iowa. Propane torch and a lot of cussing, and that doesn't always work.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

it seems that as soon as i try to break it free i know if it's going to be a smile or head banger. like i said, i never quote an a/c job as an in and out. if i have to repalce a receiver dryer i always include the attached lines. i had a customer with a honda that heeded the little line from the receiver to the condenser. told him what the issue was and possible cost. a while later he came in and took the car declining the work. sometime later i noticed that car on the lot for work and i popped the hood. low and behold almost every a/c component had been replaced. i called and asked him about it. i explained that i know a/c is very open ended and decided a long time ago to fully explain what the collateral damage would be so a customer could make a decision with their eyes wide open. well it seems that a local shop quoted the job with just the line replacement claiming that they never had any issues with "collateral" damage and kiser always replaced unnecessary parts. well apparently they had to replace a lot more than just the line and was about 800 bucks more than i was. i asked how they justified than and he told me that they used genuine honda parts. well when he came in to pick up his car i walked out to it with him and showed him the tags on some of the parts that said modine. told him that modine wasn't o.e.m. i wasn't condescending but wanted to jump around screaming "i told you so". i asked if i could add him to a list of customer that i can have someone call about my work and ethics. he looked at me and said "you mean the list that you suggested i call" i explained to him that i knew and accepted that when i quote a job of a lot of money especially on a seasonal repair that it may come under scrutiny. we since have become good business-customer pals. on a side note i had a ford plow truck come in with a seized engine. it was an a/c compressor that had seized and i quoted the replacement cost. i was told i was trying to screw him because some one he called said to just take off the belt. i knew from his attitude that no matter what i said it would just add to the disdain. i was instructed to take the belt off. i said ok, you can come and get it in 1/2 an hour. he came in, paid the 48 dollars i charged him and left. 10 minutes later he came in and said that i did something to disable his power steering and his battery light was on. i told him that in a way he was correct that i did it and i was instructed to do so by him. i explained that his friend gave him bad advise and he followed it. i reminded him that i told him one belt ran all and it was necessary to replace or install a bypass the compressor and he told me that a friend told him by removing the belt it would work. the engine is running but none of the belt driven items. told him that the truck was going to overheat and possibly blow the motor. well this was monday and we were expecting snow tuesday. he had a problem now. he was dropped off and had no way home, it was going to snow and he needed the truck. i just looked at him and waited to hear the words that i needed to hear. he told me to fix it, not the words, he asked if i could have it for him to plow, still not what i was looking for. he stared at me and asked if i could do it, still waiting. he looked at me and said "i'm sorry i didn't listen to you" i asked if he could be added to a list that i sometimes use if someone is in the same situation that he's in and i ask that person to call him. he said gladly, he had his truck 9am yesterday. i also explained that i required a certified check or cash under these circumstances. he understood and agreed.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Return to “MEMBER REPAIR TIPS”