817-599-7680
866-744-3887
http://www.phoenixtrans.com
mopwrforme
200 Club: Major Contributor

Re: Cleaning Headlamps

Post by mopwrforme »

hell i havent seen my wifes headlights in 6 month. all togeather know aaaaaaa, :( :( :(
perfection-automotive.net
mopwrforme

Post by mopwrforme »

wow maybe i should look at the dates on the posts before i reply just a tad bit late. :? :? :?
liljoe
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Post by liljoe »

mopwrforme wrote:hell i havent seen my wifes headlights in 6 month. all togeather know aaaaaaa, :( :( :(
I ordered a new set of lamps for the bosses wifes van and when they came in I texted him that I had his wifes headlights in my hands, he texted back, "have fun" :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Working hard to prove the Green Team can do it with the best of 'em.
Always remember: AIN'T NO FREE LUNCHES!!
Am I the Only One?- I don't think I am.
The further a society retreats from the truth, the more it hates those who speak it. George Orwell.
mopwrforme

Post by mopwrforme »

o boy :o :o :o
jbadenoch
400 Club: Mega-Star Contributor

Post by jbadenoch »

thinking about getting into cleaning here but see nothing in these posts about the clear coat. Is this the same clear coat for paint or is there a special one for plastic? 3m kit says nothing about clear coat. Curious in sc
jbadenoch

Post by jbadenoch »

just found out napa has same 600 dollar kit for 300 dollars. same 3m part #
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by steven kiser »

i got mine through car quest. there is nothing said about clear coating. one of my tenants in a body shop and he had mentioned about the clear coat. he claims he just sands them by hand and clear coat them. well, i clear coated a set when i was finished polishing them. i almost died right there. they fogged right out. it reminded me of spraying carb cleaner on plastic. i freaked out, they went right to gray. after a while it started to fade away and after about a 1/2 hour looked like glass, best i had seen. i do it all the time now. a rattle can works just fine. it's kind of funny that this post was made active again. i had a jeep in here yesterday and the head lamps looked like they were sand blasted. i read in a previous post about before and after lamps. about a month ago we shipped a jeep to the great beyond and i took out the head lamps. i was going to do a one to one comparison but i did a 1/2 polished and the other side left alone. i sold the job.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
jbadenoch

Post by jbadenoch »

Hmmmm. Ok playing with test lens and it looked great after cleaning. Used spray can of clear acrylic laquer for a clear coat. No fogging when applied but now it looks like the surface of the moon. A nice clean moon mind you but there is no way I would send this out my door. I either need to figure out the clear coating issue or not clear coat and I would like it as an option. Help? Different clear coat? Better job of working the lens?
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Sounds like fish-eye. Did you clean the polish off real good with some kind of paint prep?
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
jbadenoch

Post by jbadenoch »

No, not really. Just washed pretty well with windex. It is more cracked than fish eye. I have done some antiquing paint at home that looked similar.
jbadenoch

Post by jbadenoch »

Ok re did the clearcoat after cleaning first with paint prep.... Duhhhh Looks much better but still not satisfied. I think it is just a matter of doing a better job working the lens at this point. Will do it again. Thanks for the help folks. My receptionest has promised to let me play with her headlights when I get it down to a science. :twisted:
Still trying to figure out how to get the old lady to agree to it :o
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

Still trying to figure out how to get the old lady to agree to it

who said she has to know. make sure you don't leave any greasy hand prints on her head lights. this will cause the clear coat to fish eye. :lol: :lol: like all painting, the prep is the most important issue. if you look at angles you may see the flaws that the clear coat will accentuate when applied. i find that if i spend a longer time grinding with the first disc it makes a better job. i grind until there is no longer any dust coming off. sometimes i've used two or three discs on each lens. if it's not all ground off when you clear coat the lens it will granulate and all sorts of distortions will occur. the other issue is grind slowly. i watched a tech wind up the air grinder and it melted the powder like happens when some one gets the paint to hot when polishing a fender. some lenses i can knock out in 1/2 an hour a pair while others take 45 minutes each. i do a lot of jeeps and subaru's so i have a few sets on the shelf that i have already prepped. i looked up by f5 / vehicle and had my primary salvage yard cross the vehicles to see the most common application and send me a set. i use them as a sale point display and can swap them out in 10 minutes and during a slack time prep them.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Return to “MEMBER REPAIR TIPS”