Dash Overlay

Information and links to Repair assets on the forum
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

Dash Overlay

Post by Tim Martin »

Was wondering, where a dash has cracked apart and or even broken, has anyone used a dash overlay that can be gotten and simply glued over top of the broken dash? I got a Dodge pk tk coming in that needs a dash. The price of the overlay is about half of a new dash from the dealer.
nickscarcare
750 Club: World Class Contributor
750 Club: World Class Contributor

Re: Dash Overlay

Post by nickscarcare »

Hey did my customer come your direction?? LOL Just had a 01 dodge p/u in here with the same deal. We looked at replacing it even with a used one, its alot of labor. He is just going to order a neoprene cover for it that is camo, and get matching seat cover also. I have never used the hard plastic overlays, for fear of how long does the adhesive hold?? Will be interesting to see if anyone has.
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.

507-345-6425
http://www.nickscarcare.com
liljoe
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Post by liljoe »

Just had a 98 in here with the plastic all busted on the dash, cust got one of those hard plastic overlays and it fit nice considering that ther is nothing below it to even glue it to. Deffently worth getting one for these trucks.
Working hard to prove the Green Team can do it with the best of 'em.
Always remember: AIN'T NO FREE LUNCHES!!
Am I the Only One?- I don't think I am.
The further a society retreats from the truth, the more it hates those who speak it. George Orwell.
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

liljoe wrote:Just had a 98 in here with the plastic all busted on the dash, cust got one of those hard plastic overlays and it fit nice considering that ther is nothing below it to even glue it to. Deffently worth getting one for these trucks.
Could you see that it was an overlay? Was there an edge that could be seen or how was that?
fortknoxx

Post by fortknoxx »

i bought a dash mat for my ram, its still in the box
T-N-T (Tina Nuse-Tolar)
Gone but not forgotten...Camper Bob's

609-760-7079 Cell
liljoe

Post by liljoe »

Tim Martin wrote:
liljoe wrote:Just had a 98 in here with the plastic all busted on the dash, cust got one of those hard plastic overlays and it fit nice considering that ther is nothing below it to even glue it to. Deffently worth getting one for these trucks.
Could you see that it was an overlay? Was there an edge that could be seen or how was that?
The edges of the overlay went behind the instrument trim and the dash vent trim pieces, so no, you could not really tell it had an overlay on it. If the truck is still on the lot I will get a pic of it in a bit when I take a camaro back to them.
The further a society retreats from the truth, the more it hates those who speak it. George Orwell.
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

So, what you are saying is that the overlay is only for the top part of the dash and not a cover for the entire unit?
liljoe

Post by liljoe »

They sold the truck Friday. But basicly the overlay covered from the bottom edge of the windshield to the trim around the cluster, down the top third to half of the front and tucked behind the trim pieces. This truck was so busted up theat you see the top of the heater core and the back of the cluster with out the overlay in possistion, nothing left to even glue it to and it still looked decent enough to sell. This is an upper-mid level car lot not a lower level type lot. Granted this did not turn out to be one of the nicer trucks on the lot, but it was better then doing away with the truck......

Return to “MEMBER REPAIR TIPS”