GM Speedometers?

Information and links to Repair assets on the forum
Rich
4K Ultra Amazing Contributor

GM Speedometers?

Post by Rich »

We have been replacing GM speedos, about one a month. But the quality hasnt been as good as we think it could/should be.

Just wondering what others are doing. I am kicking around the idea of finding some place else to get them. However, we don't have a way to flash the ECM to get it all to jive.
Rich Hays
Work 9-11 or 616-696-0020
Being able to get CAPE off a Skew T chart is important in this hobby.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Re: GM Speedometer

Post by brianp87 »

I get them from dorman direct already programed with vin and mileage. We dont do that many maybe 4-8 a year
Rich

Post by Rich »

Have you had many come backs? We did one for the third time last week. it had 7 stickers on it, meaning it had been worked on 7 times!
Rich Hays
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

I have not had any actually. Were were you getting them from?
nickscarcare
750 Club: World Class Contributor

Post by nickscarcare »

I have done some, use doorman replacements. Have not had a problem yet! (knock on wood) Otherwise I have a guy who is about 100 miles from me that does them also. I have not used him yet as I just learned about him, supposed to be good.
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.

507-345-6425
http://www.nickscarcare.com
sbebenelli

Post by sbebenelli »

We use this outfit. http://www.aaellc.com/ I heard about them on iATN. They have most of them in stock, they program mileage and anything else that needs programmed. We have only used them a couple of times since hearing about them and have been real happy. They include a shipping label so you just put the old in the box and send it back. They give you a month to do that before they charge a core fee.
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

Post by Tim Martin »

Well, we don't do that many of them but I have always gotten mine from the dealer. I order the unit, tell them the mileage and next day it arrives and so far has always worked well. Have not used Dorman yet.
rytek
50 Club: Regular Contributor
50 Club: Regular Contributor

Post by rytek »

We have had good success using http://www.bba-reman.com/us/index.aspx

- Chris
Chris
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by steven kiser »

We use Dorman for any part we can. We use their window regulators, clusters, door locks, anything they sell. I've found that the quality is as good as oem and better than other options. For the first time i had an issue with dorman. It really came as a shock, it was on a radiator fan for a jeep. The nut came off and the blade ripped into the radiator. I've been waiting 10 weeks for the warranty claim to be processed, nothing yet.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
sbebenelli

Post by sbebenelli »

steven kiser wrote:We use Dorman for any part we can. We use their window regulators, clusters, door locks, anything they sell. I've found that the quality is as good as oem and better than other options. For the first time i had an issue with dorman. It really came as a shock, it was on a radiator fan for a jeep. The nut came off and the blade ripped into the radiator. I've been waiting 10 weeks for the warranty claim to be processed, nothing yet.
I guess I have to respectfully disagree about Dorman. I don't see them anywhere near as good as OEM. They are my last resort.
steven kiser

Re: GM Speedometers?

Post by steven kiser »

I respect your opinion and might add here a bit. I've never had issues with the window regulator assemblies. They come complete and cost 65 bucks where a G.M. costs 170.00 and an after market supplied through a part store i will not take out of the box. I've always looked to Dorman for parts to repair a unit as opposed to replacing the complete unit as the dealer wants you to. All the pulleys available come from Dorman. Door handles, window cranks, thermostat housings (plastic), I'm finding that the warehouses are stocking more and more Dorman and the wait is nothing compared to O.E.M. and no shipping. In my opinion piling Dorman into the after market auto parts group isn't fair to them. As a rule my quality list is O.E.M, Dorman, and after market parts stores. There are a few in each group that are exceptions. It's my opinion that Motorcraft remans from ford come from whoever has the contract. I've purchased alternators from outside suppliers that are in Motorcraft boxes and i wouldn't use them as paper weights. Ford parts are different. G.M. remans are made in Mexico and i've seen some that should've stayed there. If i need to tear a dash out to replace something it's going to be O.E.M. new or if that can't be purchased Dorman and if that can't be purchased i'll try new through my local parts store or the internet. Prayer candles and chicken bones are used at this level.

The search for quality parts at reasonable prices has always been a quest for me. Personally i will go for quality instead of price. I think this has to do with a lot of been there done that. I do anything i can even loosing a job as opposed to becoming an a** hole. Pad slap, using cheap brake parts, go somewhere else. I see shops that will tear down a fuel pump module as opposed to replacing it like it's designed, clamp in a pump and ship it. They come to my shop with a noise and you can sing along with the pump whine and the noise it makes when it slams around. A fuel module is one of the rare parts that you can make a good buck on using O.E.M.. Delphi is the G.M. supplier and after market through Dorman or World Pac is Delphi and 100 bucks less than the dealer. I had a pick up in here Thursday with a bad pump. I priced it from World Pad, called my local dealer and asked for my cost. It was 100 bucks more and i told them if they wanted to sell it to me they needed to sharpen their pencil. I was asked how much i could get it for. I asked if his wife was any good in bed. I know him well and could get away with that, he said "i see you're not going to tell me, and i replied it's not how the game is played". He gave me a price 135 bucks less than World Pac.

Getting back to my original point here and ending this rant. As a rule new O.E.M. parts are the leader in quality and a first choice in some cases. Dormn is, in many cases new and less money than o.e.m. remans and my first choice at that level then comes after market.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Rich

Post by Rich »

brianp87 wrote:I have not had any actually. Were were you getting them from?
I get them from the local GM dealer. I believe they get them from another supplier than GM. We also get them next day. They do us very well, but the dashs are starting to raise flags. Just wanted to get some ideas in case we need them, which it looks as though we may.
Rich Hays
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

Rich wrote:
brianp87 wrote:I have not had any actually. Were were you getting them from?
I get them from the local GM dealer. I believe they get them from another supplier than GM. We also get them next day. They do us very well, but the dashs are starting to raise flags. Just wanted to get some ideas in case we need them, which it looks as though we may.
yes the dealer gets them somewhere else. And there not preprogramed. If you get dorman from napa they will honor the labor claim if the need shall arrise.

Return to “MEMBER REPAIR TIPS”