Engine Rotation

Information and links to Repair assets on the forum
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

Engine Rotation

Post by Tim Martin »

Pardon my ignorance men but I got a question that has begs for an answer. Do all engines (gas or diesel) rotate clockwise as you look at the harmonic balancer end? I am thinking that most if not all engines rotate clockwise but there is this fellow that claims that some engines rotate counterclockwise.
liljoe
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Re: Engine Rotation

Post by liljoe »

I know that V6 hondas spin backwards from the 4cylinder cars. Had one one time that came in for no start after starter replacement and the person working on it had ordered a 4cly starter and the nose where it mates to engine was different so he swaped it from the old to the new and had a spin but no start. I noticed it sounded a bit "off" when cranking, so I pulled a vac hose to shoot some carb spray in to it. when I spun it over with the hose off, I could see it shooting out of the vaccume hose nipple, come to find out the engine was going in the wrong dirrection. I recall being told of a special cam for the corvaire engines that would change the rotation so it could be put in VW bugs, seems like I remember looking in the spped pro catalogs and seeing reverse rotation cams for marine apps...... So sorry, looks like you are wrong on this one......
Working hard to prove the Green Team can do it with the best of 'em.
Always remember: AIN'T NO FREE LUNCHES!!
Am I the Only One?- I don't think I am.
The further a society retreats from the truth, the more it hates those who speak it. George Orwell.
Pauls Automotive
1000 Club: Interstellar
1000 Club: Interstellar

Post by Pauls Automotive »

Although I don't have any specifics that come to mind I do know there are a few engine designs that do go counterclockwise. I wish I could remeber what they were but that was so long ago and I have CRS disease. :roll:
Paul
Pauls Automotive
6318 Falls Road
Baltimore, Md 21209
410-825-2224
paul@paulsauto.com
TRUE HAPPINESS IS WITHIN YOU
fortknoxx

Post by fortknoxx »

Tim Martin wrote:Pardon my ignorance men but I got a question that has begs for an answer. Do all engines (gas or diesel) rotate clockwise as you look at the harmonic balancer end? I am thinking that most if not all engines rotate clockwise but there is this fellow that claims that some engines rotate counterclockwise.
since you asked the guys, guess I can't answer.

lol. i don't know which way, I just know they spin. :P
T-N-T (Tina Nuse-Tolar)
Gone but not forgotten...Camper Bob's

609-760-7079 Cell
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Sooooooooooo. I recall when I typed in the question at the beginning of this post that the thought crossed my mind that the audience on this forum may not be only the male species. However, the initial wording is simply a figure of speech we use here in our shop and is not intended in any way, shape, or form to exclude any females on this forum. It appears that you took it in stride and may be accustomed to some ribbing in this business. Thanks for the contribution you make to this forum. While I am somewhat from a more traditional background where it usually is males that are in this trade, I have much respect for women that know the trade and are able to make a worthwhile contribution to it.

Is there any place, including Mitchell1 service information that has the direction of engines or is it just assumed that engines are counterclockwise unless it is mentioned otherwise?
brother bubba
300 Club: Superstar Contributor

Post by brother bubba »

Tim Martin wrote: Is there any place, including Mitchell1 service information that has the direction of engines or is it just assumed that engines are counterclockwise unless it is mentioned otherwise?
I assume you meant clockwise there. I do know that a 95 Honda Accord four banger turns counterclockwise. The only real reference to direction is in timing belt replacement where it says rotate counterclockwise to set the tension. I know a friend that has a cigarette boat with twin 454's, one of which turns counterclockwise.

And don't worry about Tina. If you had actually offended her, she would have already taken your nose off with an impact gun.
Measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a piece of chalk, cut it with an axe. Sand it to fit.
Jeff @ Able Auto

Post by Jeff @ Able Auto »

I dont believe Tina would stop at the nose if she were truly offended. I do know that many marine engine, especially in twin engine ste-ups, turn counter. Makes the larger boats easier to handle in dock. And I thought rotation was the reason for some Honda crank bolts being so tight.
Jeff Fitzgerald - retired
Treasure Coast of Florida
"there will be enough time to sleep when we're dead"
brother bubba

Post by brother bubba »

Jeff @ Able Auto wrote: And I thought rotation was the reason for some Honda crank bolts being so tight.

No, that's cause it was Sumo Wrestler night at the Honda factory .....

Measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a piece of chalk, cut it with an axe. Sand it to fit.

Return to “MEMBER REPAIR TIPS”