Ford 6.0L Diesel Head Gaskets

Information and links to Repair assets on the forum
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Ford 6.0L Diesel Head Gaskets

Post by ricmorin »

Hello forum members.

We have this engine in here and it's got combustion gasses in the coolant. We're assuming head gaskets but we alos know about the EGR coolers. It's likely getting both. My question is this: During teardown, is there anything else you'd be doing or looking for? We want to get this right cuz it's labor intensive. Also, any special tooling required?
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Re: 6.0 Diesel Head Gaskets

Post by brianp87 »

I buy egr coolers from a place called bullet proof diesle. Id do the oil cooler also while it is off and the screen for it to. A must is head bolts. we usally do oil the oil feed tubes in the heads also but nothign really special needed thati recall. Weve done like 6 I think.
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Excellent. That's just the insight I'm looking for. Thanks.
603-622-6434 x203

liljoe
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Post by liljoe »

I would try to upsell to the ARP studs, they are much better and the torque process is much easier. The studs torque to 210ft/lbs while the bolts tighten to something like 90lbs plus 90 degrees three times, by time you are doing the third pass, it is extreamly hard to pull the handle. The studs clamp tighter and are more resistant to streching during high boost conditions. I also like to replace the seals in the top of the injectors while it is down. They are not available from ford, but you can search for them from alliant power, they run about $12 per injector and are easy to install, each kit comes with all the seals for one injector. If you are doing it with the cab on the truck, you will not be able to pull the rear lower bolt all the way out of the driver side head. You will have to lossen the bolt completly and pull it up a little and tie it with a zip tie so it does not fall down then lift the head with the rocker carrier off at the same time with the bolt still in the head, reassembly is the same way (with the studs or bolts either one). The head set comes with new oil supply tubes for the HPOP system but I also replace the dummy plugs while I am in there.
Working hard to prove the Green Team can do it with the best of 'em.
Always remember: AIN'T NO FREE LUNCHES!!
Am I the Only One?- I don't think I am.
The further a society retreats from the truth, the more it hates those who speak it. George Orwell.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

Agree with all above but will add that we find it so much easier to remove the front tires and set the lower ball joints onto 4x4 pressure treated blocks. We also remove the hood, i need all the space possible and all this gives me the angles i need for bulling. This is a good example of doing anything possible on the way out like the egr cooling tube and on any chance of an overheat (even if the customer claims no) i try my best to replace the water pump.

Personally i sell the job as a whole but i do throw out that if the egr cooler is bad we may take another look at it. Basically i do this because when they call other shops they're going to get a tube quote and told the head gaskets should be ok. I try to include this from the get go to avoid the crapolla that will ensue.

Again, since i deal with a bunch of tire kickers, on jobs like this i get them as deep as possible into the repair. We talk about 02's, glow plugs, etc since if coolant got into the cylinder they may be junk. mention that there is a possibility the glow plug harness connectors may break and that harness may need to be replaced (i stock one of each side). I get right down to the special coolant and rotella oil we use. I'll stop now but will mention again that customers will lie hoping the cost will be less. :shock: :shock:
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
erlesauto
25 Club: Starting Contributor

Re: Ford 6.0L Diesel Head Gaskets

Post by erlesauto »

It's been our experience when egr cooler goes coolant goes out exhaust. I agree with doing oil cooler also, might look into doing egr cooler delete .
We think the easiest way to do the job is lift the cab. It is nowhere as complicated as it sounds.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

An egr delete will require aprogrammer to remove it from the computer so you have no mil on. I havent doen one on a 6.0 only a duramax
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

We have started teardown. My guy says he needs special tools. Glow plug connector remover/installer 303-1114 and High pressure supply tube remover 303-1164. Do we really need these? Workarounds?
603-622-6434 x203

liljoe

Post by liljoe »

For the injector plug remover, I use a 17mm socket, you may need to move up or down a size depending on the thickness of your sockets, all it has to do is push the plastic connector out of the rocker carrier, for the oil tubes, unless it is the early model, 03-04 1/2, you need no tool, the tube unscrews from the oil manifold. If it is the early one, you can use needle nose pliers to remove the connector, or you can unscrew the connector from the oil manifold. Which year are you working on and I will dig out pics to help you make sense out of this?
Working hard to prove the Green Team can do it with the best of 'em.
Always remember: AIN'T NO FREE LUNCHES!!
Am I the Only One?- I don't think I am.
The further a society retreats from the truth, the more it hates those who speak it. George Orwell.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

Weve never needed anything special youll be ok.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

No special tools. We did purchase a connector remover for the glow plug harness connector to make it easier but got along fine with pliers before.

For the most part, in my humble opinion, at least 90% of the time we've been able to work without specially required oem tools. Anyone with any kind of mechanical ability can see beyond the special tool and either find something that will work or make something. Heck, i've got a drawer full od "modified tools" that i've heated and bent or hammered to apply to what i need. I've cut, welded, sized and molded wrenches or sockets and a year later a snappy dealer will come in with this special socket to do the job for 200 bucks and i've been using one i made from a 60 dollar snap on socket for a year or two.

I was replacing a lot of engines on G.M. trucks and vans and after the second one i took the core, a marker and some light cardboard and made a template of the bolt pattern for the intake, made a plate for each head, bolted them on, made a rib assembly, welded it in, set up three attaching points for the hoist. Now we bolt this on, attach the hoist and lift the engine right out without spending hours jacking and moving. After that if i wanted to make something like that i used the intake gasket as a template and with my plasma cutter and mig will have something made in less than an hour. I feel that a mechanic has the ability to look at something and see how it works and take it apart.

I'm adding that maybe since i've been working on vehicles since the late 60's and taught by an old timer stuff like this comes easy and buying a wrench across the street for 10 or 15 bucks heating and bending is like anticipating the ending of a book you're reading by your favorite author. Many times Scott will ask me where that wrench or tool i made for such and such is and he takes it refits it for something else. A local Dodge Dealer uses the tool i made to yank Sprinter injectors because it's so much easier than the specialty oem tool.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
jbadenoch
400 Club: Mega-Star Contributor
400 Club: Mega-Star Contributor

Post by jbadenoch »

Steve, you ought to submit some of you modified and special app tools, or ideas, to a company, maybe make a few/lot of bucks for the idea or proto-type.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

People have said that from time to time but right now my main focus is mechanics. I looked into it once and it's an undertaking to make this work. You can submit modified tools to snap on and they will pay you a flat fee and then they own it. Everyone seems to think it's so simple but there are big companies out there that their main focus is to crush you and develop your idea. I really like to be able to look at something and develop a tool to make it easier. There is a feeling of accomplishment and sometimes i need immediate satisfaction. I love puttering around (been way to busy lately) my forge, anvil, benders, welders, cutters, etc. I'm toying with the thought of after retiring starting with stock steel and building a rock crawler from the ground up. My first move after the base frame is developing a hydraulic walking system with a leg on each corner much like the Dr. Lovelace walking machine in The Wild Wild West. I've collected a large selection of hydraulic pistons, pumps, spool valves and controls over the years and intend to really make something awesome. I got a phone call a few years back from a person that just purchased a piece of property in an industrial center ant there were three street sweepers there he wanted disposed of. What a trove of neat stuff.

Return to “MEMBER REPAIR TIPS”