Readiness Monitor Issue

Information and links to Repair assets on the forum
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

Readiness Monitor Issue

Post by Tim Martin »

Is there any way to discover what is hindering a given readiness monitor to reset? I am test driving a 2005 Chevy Colorado that after many miles of starting, stopping, idling, cruising, etc, the catalyst readiness monitor does not reset. It is frustrating because the vehicle is in for an emissions inspection and this monitor needs to be reset. How can I find out why this thing does not reset?
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: Readiness Monitor Issue

Post by steven kiser »

We've run into a few issues with readiness monitors. The biggest issue i've found is running temp. If it's not reaching a specific operating temp it won't run certain monitors. A point specific to the Colorado, brace the customer that the cat's may need to be replaced. I had a commercial account who had a fleet of pickups that fit this criteria and we replaced the cat in every one of them. If you replace it you may see a slight difference. I think there is a 100k warranty on them. There is no real tech bulletin that makes any sense because, in my opinion, the feds backed way back from allowing the manufacturers to pay a hefty fine as opposed to repairing the cats. Remember when Chrystler recalled a lot of their pickups, recalibrated the pcm to accept failing cats, paid the huge fine to the fed and saved money doing it. Almost a mirror issue with the gm's.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Return to “MEMBER REPAIR TIPS”