Batteries And AAA

Information and links to Repair assets on the forum
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Batteries And AAA

Post by steven kiser »

Personally i get steamed when i see a AAA battery in one of my customers vehicles. This is the start of the battery season and i always test them along with all the other fluids and services we do during an oil change. I've seen vehicles that i know didn't need a battery but there it is the AAA. power house. Sometimes they're incorrect or installed improperly. I tell my customer they should call AAA and get it resolved and point it out. If it's an install issue i point it out and offer to repair it for free. I don't want to come off as being disgruntled and looking for reasons to bash AAA.

I don't want my customers to feel i didn't look at the battery and don't want to defend myself because some AAA expert sold a battery even though the interior light activated when the cables were attached. I always try to be congenial when it comes to customers telling me that the AAA tech said this or that. I'm very friendly with the local chapter and the do all my small vehicle towing and i repair their trucks beyond tires and brakes. All their trucks have batteries i've installed. I would like to use that as a selling point but i wanted the most amps i could get into the trucks and AAA didn't supply it, if they had i still wouldn't have used them because of how they are built. Every time i have a vehicle towed in by AAA and the customer tells me that the AAA guy said it was this i kindly tell them that i like to make my own call and some of the AAA personal do know what they are doing while others zip up while they're still peeing. I try to keep it even keel and i know for a fact that AAA is forcing all their tow truck services to push the batteries to the point, and i know it as a fact, they would pull the service from them and give it to someone else. It appears that AAA has no issue of stomping on shops toes and pushing batteries. I still push the towing service to my customers but will tell all that listen a dead battery does not mean a bad one. I can put my carbon pile battery tester on any battery and fry it if i'm so inclined bit i don't. It's like when a person tells me that the AAA tech put the battery tester on their battery and showed them the print out showing it was no good. I look at them and ask how can you test a battery that's not charged and get anything but a negative report. Just a thought and i keep all my customers informed.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
ricmorin

Re: Batteries And AAA

Post by ricmorin »

This time of year we test every battery that comes through the door. This helps to minimize the AAA effect. BTW, you can test a partially discharged battery with a capacitance type tester accurately. I like to use both carbon pile and capacitance testers to get a good result.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
steven kiser

Re: Batteries And AAA

Post by steven kiser »

I use both as well and check every vehicle. It just sees that there are always one or two who leave the lights on, are told a battery i said was fine is junk, and have the print out to show it. I try to point out you can't tell how fast someone is unless they start to run. You can't test a battery after a night of being on. Like i said, i'm friendly with the local AAA service and really try not to bash them but on occasion i'll say to a disgruntled customer that they are friendly people but if they are experts on vehicle repair then i feel they would be working in a shop not jumping a car at 5am in zero degree weather for 12 bucks. I will not throw them under the bus any further. Heck, I've had to repair a vehicle or two when a battery was installed and cables reversed with the key on from them and just went with the flow. I guess sometimes i just get a bit bitchy.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Return to “MEMBER REPAIR TIPS”