Bosch O2 sensors

Information and links to Repair assets on the forum
Jeff @ Able Auto
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Bosch O2 sensors

Post by Jeff @ Able Auto »

Just wanted to throw this out for ya'all. Had an 2005 Chrysler Town and Country in last week for P0032 O2 heater code. Test showed failed heater circut in sensor. Ordered sensor from CQ (Bosch) and installed. Code p0132 set in a hot minute! Run the heater test on the scanner. Could watch the sensor heat up BUT the % stayed at 0 %. Retest found heater circut in sensor at 13 ohms, spec is around 2-3 ohms. Ordered a second sensor and tested it before install and was the same. Ordered a sensor from Dodge dealer (Denso) and checked it, in spec. Installed it and no furthur problems. When running the test you could see the % start at 100% and taper down. Wont be using anymore Bosh parts O2's.
Jeff Fitzgerald - retired
Treasure Coast of Florida
"there will be enough time to sleep when we're dead"
jbadenoch
400 Club: Mega-Star Contributor

Re: Bosch O2 sensors

Post by jbadenoch »

never had any issues with the bosch 02's yet, but i will be watching and pre-testing from now on. Thanks for info
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by ricmorin »

We've had good luck with Bosch so far. Using a lot of Denso too. So far so good. Thanks for the heads up.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

Post by Tim Martin »

Well, we have been using Bosch O2 sensors from Carquest for quite sometime now and so far have not had any issues, although I admit that OEM is my first prefference for O2 sensors. My personal opinion is that Bosch is probably better than some of the options that are available.

I would be slow to condemn a brand simply because of a one time incident with the same vehicle. I might be tempted to call the Bosch tech line and inquire about the issue though.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

Never have had issues with Bosch or Denso sensors. However if i open the box and it shows any sign of being used as a puck in the warehouse lunch hockey game or being installed it goes back. I've seen the guides in the plug removed, wires switched in the plug and incorrect sensors in the box. I usually as a habit look at the # on the sensor and compare it to the one on the box. Been stung by that a time or two. It's not as easy as opening a G.M. starter box and it being a Ford. I cross check even with spark plugs. I've gotten 4 plugs in a NGK 4 pack and one of the 4 is incorrect. There are shops out there that will purchase an 02 with a cost of 120 bucks, save the box and later in the month purchase a much less expensive one and re box it into the expensive one return it for credit. It goes back on the shelf and may end up at my shop.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Jeff @ Able Auto

Both sensors were new, and had the caps on the threads. The leads were even still folded and taped. I did see in identifix where there were several hits for similiar problems on the trucks, if I remember correctly. I am not bashing bosch and have used them in the past w/o problems. Just wont be using them on a chrysler product. Might have been a bad production run and they all wound up here. Just wanted to toss it out in case anyone else had a problem. Nuttin worse than installing a new part and having to second guess your diagnosis. I will say if there is a BOB (Bad Outta Box) part within a hundred miles it will wind up in my shop! :?
jbadenoch

Post by jbadenoch »

Jeff @ Able Auto wrote:Both sensors were new, and had the caps on the threads. The leads were even still folded and taped. I did see in identifix where there were several hits for similiar problems on the trucks, if I remember correctly. I am not bashing bosch and have used them in the past w/o problems. Just wont be using them on a chrysler product. Might have been a bad production run and they all wound up here. Just wanted to toss it out in case anyone else had a problem. Nuttin worse than installing a new part and having to second guess your diagnosis. I will say if there is a BOB (Bad Outta Box) part within a hundred miles it will wind up in my shop! :?
fire murphy and the bob parts may stop. If you really have a murphy there then never mind, don't want his unemployment on my head.
sbebenelli
750 Club: World Class Contributor
750 Club: World Class Contributor

Post by sbebenelli »

We've had a couple problems with Bosch and have tried to use OEM only since.

http://www.managerforum.net/viewtopic.p ... sch#p56038
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

I was wondering if Bosch made different levels of sensors for OEM and after market. Looked into it and was told no, not that i would set my clock by these answers but World Pac sells them and on occasion i'll get them in OEM boxes from overstock. Again, i really haven't hit a wall with these but will keep it in mind.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
tferraro
25 Club: Starting Contributor
Location: Conway's Car Care 32009 Fort Rd, Rockwood, MI 48173

Post by tferraro »

We also had a problem with a bosch O2 sensor, called the dealer and found their part number had been superseded with a new updated part. Installed that sensor and no more problems. I don't find fault with bosch because the sensor wasn't the newest update, it was just one instance where the oem part was better. We normally don't have problems with those either
Jeff @ Able Auto

As a side note the OEM sensor was a denso. FYI. Jeff
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

Picking up on a twist here. We've found on any Chrystler, Dodge vehicles that are 2000 and up many after market sensors act a bit off. What brought this up was we were working on a Chrystler T&C with cat and egr codes. The egr was stuffed because of the cat partially plugged. I just automatically called the dealer for the egr and cat. We've gotten into the habit of getting many sensors oem because they seem sharper and respond faster. Don't understand it but i don't understand a lot lately, or it seems my wife feels that way.
John C.
500 Club: Champion Contributor
500 Club: Champion Contributor

Post by John C. »

For what it's worth (A - I'm not a tech, B - almost 70% of the vehicles we see are Toyota/Lexus and Honda/Acura) and the guys tell me we use Denso only, which they say are OE (what do I know? I just pay the bills :? ). I do know we get them from Worldpac whenever possible, at a huge savings, we make a nice profit and customer saves some dough - everybody goes home happy! :D
John C.

Return to “MEMBER REPAIR TIPS”