VW Jetta TDI Decoking

Information and links to Repair assets on the forum
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

VW Jetta TDI Decoking

Post by ricmorin »

Hello Forumfolk,

We have a customer with one of these vehicles. Just did a timing belt on it and we noticed a lot of buildup of coke in the intake. From what I've been seeing this is a VERY common problem, but I've never actually done one myself. Any shops out there that have done this? I would love to hear from you. I'm looking for basic procedures, chemicals and time to accomplish. TIA.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Re: Jetta TDI Decoking

Post by brianp87 »

I cant remember the one we did. I think it started with a bg engine oil flush. Ours was for engine oil sludge. I think we had to get a pick up feed tube of some sort. Actually ours wasnt a tdi it was a passat I think and gas engine forsure a turbo . I can not find the vehicle in the system hmmm...
nickscarcare
750 Club: World Class Contributor
750 Club: World Class Contributor

Post by nickscarcare »

I have done them here. I have a machine shop that has a rotating heated cleaner machine, that I just pull of the intake and take it to them and they take care of it. Sometimes they have to hammer and chisel some of it off, but always comes back clean. Our local VW dealer does this alot with them also. Pull the intake, remove all sensor, drop it off to them and wala, clean when returned. I am not sure if you have someone in your area that has a machine like that, but it works great. Had a Jetta diesel that I couldn't even see the EGR valve when remove much less see through the passages, removed it took it to them and car now runs great.
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.

507-345-6425
http://www.nickscarcare.com
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

This one is still running ok, but we'd like to get to this before it becomes a problem. Thanks for the info. I'll call my machine shop and see what they have to say.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders

Return to “MEMBER REPAIR TIPS”