Dodge RAM 2500 U-Joints Too Tight?

Information and links to Repair assets on the forum
slowtech
50 Club: Regular Contributor
50 Club: Regular Contributor

Dodge RAM 2500 U-Joints Too Tight?

Post by slowtech »

I've been running into a lot of u-joints that are too tight to get the retainers in. Tried different brands and OE, same thing. Didn't have this problem years ago. Anyone have a method to keep yokes spread?
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: dodge ram 2500 u-joints

Post by steven kiser »

I have a spreading tool for my porta power that I use from time to time. Another point is many joints aren't as precise as years ago. I use spicer joints and even with them sometimes I need to shave the clips down on a belt sander. I've saved clips over the years from installs and rummage through them finding thinner ones when needed or not having to search the world when one sails.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

Re: dodge ram 2500 u-joints

Post by Tim Martin »

Steve, your'e mentioning a point that we as shop owners and technicians are having to deal with more and more. That is the quality of the parts we are given. And, I agree, we also use Spicer where available. At one point I was somewhat inclined to say that the poor quality parts come from abroad but I am not so sure about that. Back to the original post, I have seen more issues with the Chrysler line and ujoints than other brands. Not sure though why that is. I have even gotten a new yoke for one and the ujoint did not fit that one very well either, indicating to me that the issue was with the ujoint manufacturer. Frustrating to say the least.

Return to “MEMBER REPAIR TIPS”