05 Pontiac Montana HVAC Drain

Information and links to Repair assets on the forum
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

05 Pontiac Montana HVAC Drain

Post by Tim Martin »

The customer brought in this 05 Montana with the complaint that water was draining into the passenger compartment when the AC was on. What I found was that the cabin air filters were severely plugged up, restricted with a half inch a dirt thus creating a vacuum and was drawing in air through the HVAC drain. I have never seen cabin air filters so messed up. After I replaced the 2 cabin air filters water drained out the HVAC drain like it is supposed to. So I was reminded anew to check cabin air filters more regularly.

Just a tip I learned the hard way today.
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 05 Pontiac Montana HVAC Drain

Post by steven kiser »

Should be done as part of normal service.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

steven kiser wrote:Should be done as part of normal service.
I can agree with ya but as with most customers, we do not do all the work on these vehicles. only some of it an in the normal course of business, if I have to try an find out what you did an what the other guy did I wont get much done.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

Doesn't it just amaze you when you see this stuff. I've seen air boxes where I had to pry the filters out, use a shop vac to get all the loose stuff out then explain to the customer that even though he was charged for it at spiffy ram it hadn't been done. I've seen people that had been charged a few times when it either didn't have one or the seal hadn't been split.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

What really amazes me is that many vehicle owners keep going back to these places!
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

I've gotten beyond that. Seen it so much it will always anger me but will never surprise me. I've had people come into my shop with issues and I've shown them that the new part was just a painted used one and it was no good. They've left and returned a few days later telling me that I was trying to screw them. They went back to the other shop and left the car. The shop told them it was just a blown fuse and the part that they had originally replaced was fine. Some people are just born to be screwed and if they aren't they think they are :shock:
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Yea been there done that too. I come to the conclusion that kinda stuff is part of the business an I come to expect it from certain folks. I got this one guy that knows that A-Z knows more than we do cause they sell him what he needs. (chuckle chuckle). Says that shops just install parts depending how much money they need that day. He just needs me to install the parts per their diagnosis, then when the installed parts didnt correct the problem "These@#$%^& parts are defective"

Return to “MEMBER REPAIR TIPS”