2004 GMC C5500 - 6.6L LLY No Start FIXED

Specific repair issues for GM RWD trucks, SUVs & vans
erlesauto
25 Club: Starting Contributor

2004 GMC C5500 - 6.6L LLY No Start FIXED

Post by erlesauto »

We have a 2004 c5500 6.6 lly with a no start condition.

Cranks ok, appears to be fuel related. fuel rail pressure reads approx 230 lbs. checked for suction on inlet lines and found none at rear of engine where lines come in from tank. Checked filter inlet and outlet also none. traced lines all the way to the pump checking at connections along the way. removed inlet line from pump to also find no suction. PS pump is brand new along with regulator and relief valve.

Any Suggestions, did I possibly miss something?
Last edited by erlesauto on Wed May 16, 2012 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

Re: 2004 c5500 6.6 lly no start

Post by Tim Martin »

On that system, the fuel injection pump is used to bring fuel from the tank and supply it under high pressure to the injectors. The inherent weakness on this system is the loss of suction ability after some miles on the pump to be able to suck the fuel from the tank. What we do is to install an aftermarket pump (Raptor or Air Dog) along the left frame rail and use that pump as a pusher pump between the tank and the injection pump. At the same time we lower the tank and install a larger drop tube. Often the life of the injection pump can be lengthened by doing this. However in some cases, the injection pump may also have to be replaced due to wear. One thing I will say: some shops will not advise the installation of an aftermarket pump and advise replacement of injector pump. I respect them for that. Injection pump replacement is certainly an option but by no means the only one.
erlesauto

Re: 2004 GMC C5500 - 6.6L LLY No Start

Post by erlesauto »

Replaced cp3 pump along with regulator still unable to build enough pressure. according to our modis pressure is 6940kpa = 1046psi. Cust got pump from gm, cranking speed is 150 .
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

My guess would be that there is air in the system yet. Those engine can be real bears to get all the air out after pump replacement. You could unhook the glow plugs and give it a shot of ether an see if it will get to running. I am careful who I recommend doing that but it would be an option. The cranking speed should be ok at 150 rpms. As i mentioned, it takes quite a bit to get the air out of this system.
liljoe
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Post by liljoe »

You could also crack the lines at the injectors to help let the air out, I have done this on these and it helped to get them going,
Working hard to prove the Green Team can do it with the best of 'em.
Always remember: AIN'T NO FREE LUNCHES!!
Am I the Only One?- I don't think I am.
The further a society retreats from the truth, the more it hates those who speak it. George Orwell.
Pauls Automotive
1000 Club: Interstellar
1000 Club: Interstellar

Post by Pauls Automotive »

Tim Martin wrote:My guess would be that there is air in the system yet. Those engine can be real bears to get all the air out after pump replacement. You could unhook the glow plugs and give it a shot of ether an see if it will get to running. I am careful who I recommend doing that but it would be an option. The cranking speed should be ok at 150 rpms. As i mentioned, it takes quite a bit to get the air out of this system.
I thought ether was unsafe for deisals. I was told to use WD40. I dont do a lot of deisal so dont go by me.
Paul
Pauls Automotive
6318 Falls Road
Baltimore, Md 21209
410-825-2224
paul@paulsauto.com
TRUE HAPPINESS IS WITHIN YOU
liljoe

Post by liljoe »

Pauls Automotive wrote:
Tim Martin wrote:My guess would be that there is air in the system yet. Those engine can be real bears to get all the air out after pump replacement. You could unhook the glow plugs and give it a shot of ether an see if it will get to running. I am careful who I recommend doing that but it would be an option. The cranking speed should be ok at 150 rpms. As i mentioned, it takes quite a bit to get the air out of this system.
I thought ether was unsafe for deisals. I was told to use WD40. I dont do a lot of deisal so dont go by me.
With glow plugs , it is, can blow them to kingdom come, but unhook plugs and is OK, WD40 don't seemt to work for me to start them.......
The further a society retreats from the truth, the more it hates those who speak it. George Orwell.
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Agreed! Use ether (starting fluid) very sparingly. And, always disable the glow plug or intake heater system prior to spraying starting fluid into the intake system.
erlesauto

Post by erlesauto »

Gave it a little snort of either to get it going, runs, but if you shut it off you will need ether again to start. Even if you try immediately
liljoe

Post by liljoe »

erlesauto wrote:Gave it a little snort of either to get it going, runs, but if you shut it off you will need ether again to start. Even if you try immediately
Get it going again and run it for a while, do a drive cycle if you can and that will help to get the air out of the system. They can be a bear to get all of it out.
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by steven kiser »

OK so we addressed the drive cycle issue here but not the issue of not restarting after shutting down. Shut down the return line and see if you build up pressure enough to fire it off.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
erlesauto

Re: 2004 GMC C5500 - 6.6L LLY No Start Fixed

Post by erlesauto »

Found to much fuel returning to tank, did cylinder balance test found 4 injectors not contributing. Cust took truck claiming no money for inj.
Tim Martin

Re: 2004 GMC C5500 - 6.6L LLY No Start FIXED

Post by Tim Martin »

Well now, that is a find.

Hopefully it doesn't have an injector stick open and melt a piston. That is the next step.

Return to “GM Trucks”