2003 Chev Trailblazer - Water Damage?

Specific repair issues for GM RWD trucks, SUVs & vans
jbadenoch
400 Club: Mega-Star Contributor

2003 Chev Trailblazer - Water Damage?

Post by jbadenoch »

Hi Folks,

I've got one here I could use y'alls input on. This is not something I have ever done, exactly.
Customer called and asked about a 03 Blazer. He said he had stuck it in water just over the floor for a couple of hours before he got it pulled out. I didn't think much of it and advised him to drive it down to me and I would look it over and advise him about what needed to be done. Later he called back and said his insurance company was going to have it towed to me. I still didn't have any red flags going off so I just got the number for his insurance and said bring it on.
Fast forward two days and the truck shows up dropped off next door at my body shop neighbor who calls me and asks if I know anything about it. I do and they tell me to come and get it. When I walk around and take a look it is an 03 Trailblazer, there is water in the cup holders on the console and the inside smells like a rancid fish tank. The battery is stone dead so I try to jump it off with no luck. Next I pop in a new battery and the security light comes on. Two resets later it still won’t crank, but starter tries, clicks, the lights inside flicker when you turn the key and after a couple of attempts to start the security light returns. Still no crank.
Ok, now I have red flags and bells going off all over the place. At this point I am not committed to anything. I am less worried about the mechanical end of it then I am the insurance/customer end. I don't feel like the customer is being straight forward with me. First it is a trailblazer not a blazer, second the water clearly got higher then he seems to think. Also, in what work I have done with insurance companies, they want prices up front and guarantees afterward.
My approach to this is going to be a call to both the customer and the insurance company, carefully explain that there is no way to guarantee what damage may have been done to the electrical system, advise them that there will be a charge of two hours diagnostics for the initial estimate and that there may be additional diagnostics and repairs required after the first repairs are done to get the truck running.
Any advice from folks more experienced with this situation would be appreciated.
AngelsAutoCare

Re: Water Damage?

Post by AngelsAutoCare »

pull out the spark plugs and try to crank the engine over, may have water in the combustion chamber area...
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

I would write it up for all the stuff that is visibly damaged. Note that it will need a supplement once tear down is complete and this will bring additional costs. Don't forget to note storage fees and when they started. Im 99% this is a totaled vehicle and you willnot have to worry about it. Don't forget to charge the storage fees and document and charge for what you have done so far. This way when the ins company sends someone from the auction to get it you can get paid for that. Do not let it go until you are paid for what you have done including the storage. Don't over think it. Write it for the visual and just note that a supplement OR TWO will be needed upon tear down.
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by steven kiser »

let the u boat go...................................
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

steven kiser wrote:let the u boat go...................................
Lol Im sure its a gonner.
jbadenoch

Re: 2003 Chev Trailblazer - Water Damage?

Post by jbadenoch »

its definately a goner. ins will total it at 3,500. customer said ran into river/lake and now it wont run. He never mentioned that the vehicle cut off because of a large hole in the side of the block, or at least this is my take on it. 3 gallons of water in crank case but NO oil, baseball size hole in the block. Im assuming the ps was lost when it cut off and in trying to pull over, lost control with no power steering, and into the water it went. Transmission is full of water also. Vehicle was much deeper in the water than the customer remembers. Anchors away.. Thanks for the input anyway gentlemen..
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

Or the hole in the block happened and he later pushed it into the water. :shock:
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
Rich
4K Ultra Amazing Contributor
4K Ultra Amazing Contributor

Post by Rich »

timbre4 wrote:Or the hole in the block happened and he later pushed it into the water. :shock:
I was thinking the same thing.
Rich Hays
Work 9-11 or 616-696-0020
Being able to get CAPE off a Skew T chart is important in this hobby.
jbadenoch

Post by jbadenoch »

timbre4 wrote:Or the hole in the block happened and he later pushed it into the water. :shock:
thats quite a possibility also, either way its goin to the scrap yard
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

Don't forget the storage $ and inspection $ for your time spent.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

Seen it a time or two myself. I bet anything worth a dam wasn't in it or it was full of broken stuff that became part of a claim like a lap top or other electrical items. When I deal with issues like this all hourly charges are set aside. You're not dealing with a normal flow of diagnostics. A prime example I once had was a vehicle dumped in front of my shop door. Wouldn't start and you could actually see the water line on the side. Called the customer and told them to call the insurance company. Part of the estimate presented to the inspector was for two on lot tows, couldn't get it out of park. Securing vehicle inside because of noticeable personal contents until customer removed them witch wasn't done until inspector arrived to adjust damage, 5 more days of inside storage before customer picked through vehicle (long weekend) etc. I charged 4 hours diagnostic time, 1 hour per front door to pull panels and power up window motors to get them up so I could store it outside secured. It sat on my lot for three weeks. I also charged .5 to disconnect battery. It was declared a total and customer was thrilled at first until they found out what they were going to get and then decided to fight the total. This went on for another 10 days. It was finally totaled and I received a hefty check I got just over 2 grand.

Another one was over a vandalisim claim on a Jasper engine. Customer had his daughters car towed in for a Jasper engine. We installed it and two months later it came back making a knocking noise. Noticed sand in air intake and notified customer it may be an insurance issue. He declined my suggestion so we yanked the engine and sent it to jasper. I didn't install the replacement until I got word from Jasper they were paying my claim. It was kicked because there was sand all through the combustion chamber. I had taken pictures just in case and had the engine shipped back in a crate all in pieces. Customer called the insurance company and an adjuster came over. A real idiot. He looked under the car and saw there was no engine and wanted to know where it was and why vehicle was in the air. I explained how the cradle is dropped and engine and transmission is dropped out at the same time for replacement. He looked over the engine in the crate and then said the vehicle needed to be dropped. I told him he could use a ladder if he wanted. Had to come down so we cleared all from out under, dropped the vehicle so he could look at it. He took a picture of the empty engine compartment and the vin. I told him if we powered up the elec system so he could get the mileage it would also activate other systems. He didn't care so we disabled the fuel and brake systems so we could power it up. He denied the claim eventually. I called the adjusters office and asked to speak with a supervisor and explained the situation of the sand throughout and what I felt was an idiot adjuster. He came out and looked it over and ok'd the claim. I called him a few days later after adding up my inside storage, removing the engine, labor time with the first adjuster and told the supervisor since I was making three times more on storage fees and extras I wasn't going to do the work. He freaked out then after we spoke he completely understood and I agreed to take off 25% of my claim and do the work. This was one of the rare times I actually made a real good buck on an insurance claim. If you look over their rules you can pick out things they will pay for you never thought of charging for but do as part of the claim. Some are .3 to disconnect a battery, .7 to charge and test, .3 to reprogram a radio, .75 to drive to reset the drive ability computer, pretty much anything you do to prepare for the job and additional to complete it. To make money with insurance companies you need to pick away and point charge them for everything. My charges are legit but sometimes when adjusters look at the estimate they ask if something can be done. I tell them right up front that they can write it any way they need so they look good but do not go under 10% of what I'm asking for without speaking to me and coming to an agreement. I've even called them back when something is discovered that is a game changer so they can total it out before any real money is spent. I have a great relationship with the adjusters basically because I don't play the screw them game and allow them to look good doing their job. I'll end with they won't tell you what absurd stuff you can charge for so start hitting away and after three or four claims you'll be shocked at what the won't bat an eye over. Sorry for the banter but I'm trying to thaw my fingers.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
jbadenoch

Post by jbadenoch »

Mornin Steve. Good info in your post. Do you know where to find a list of there "rules"? I do feel that we get screwed a bit with insurance companies, having an edge like that would even up the board. Have a great day Steve, thanks.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

I just make a list of what we did every little thing. I then look on Mitchell for times related. If none found I estimate. Just be thorough on your list and document everything. example. charged battery, tested battery, tested starter circuit found starter shorted need to replaced defective starter and re-test system 2.0 hours. Inspect engine oil leak. Found hole in engine block 1.0 hours. Vehicle would not come out of park to move for inspection of oil leak needed to ? 1.0 hours. Making a list of every thing you did helps. Combine them as needed and go from there. I always say such and such days storage @ $ a day = $. I leave this open until it is picked up so I calculate it at the time salvage yard arrives. That could be a week after the claim is decided.

Return to “GM Trucks”