2008 GMC Yukon XL - Rear Liftgate Module

Specific repair issues for GM RWD trucks, SUVs & vans
rp2756
25 Club: Starting Contributor

2008 GMC Yukon XL - Rear Liftgate Module

Post by rp2756 »

We are replacing the rear liftgate module. GM calls it a module but its actually the motor and gear assy. that opens and closes the gate. Does the module need to be reprogrammed? When you do the open/ close test with the Tech 2 it closes a third of the way and then reopens.
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 2008 Yukon XL , rear liftgate

Post by ricmorin »

Yes. My info says refer to SPS, which requires a subscription. I'm sure you're familiar if you own a Tech2.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
steven kiser

Re: 2008 GMC Yukon XL - Rear Liftgate Module

Post by steven kiser »

Rule of thumb on G.M.'s when it says module with the exception of fuel it means relearn or program.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
rp2756

Post by rp2756 »

Also a code B1019 sets after the test.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

That is just a communication issue. BCM doesn't recognize the module.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
rp2756

Post by rp2756 »

Realized there was a used LGM already in the vehicle, figured out it was at another shop before us and they tried that. Called the shop and picked up the original LGM, programmed it and recalibrated it, now everything works. If the B1019 doesn't go into history or the scanner doesn't leave the learn mode you are instructed to replace the LGM. Glad the other shop still had the old one. They worked on it 3 months ago.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

Don't you just love playing Dick Tracy. I've torn my hair (not much left) out and been so angry I started to shake when a customer tells me another shop had it and tore into it a month or so ago, replaced a bunch of parts and it still wasn't repaired correctly.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

I just went on one of my tech sights to see if there is another way to program (there isn't) but there is a tech service bulletin about a build date change involving a high frequency module as opposed to a low level. Seeing as I'm waiting for my hands to thaw out a bit I investigated a bit further and this is a bit of an issue. I guess they are set up using a resistance unload so if it feels any unwarranted resistance it reverses stopping the gate from bending or hurting someone. May be worth looking into. V.W. has the same set up with their cabin windows but you can program them without a scanner.

Return to “GM Trucks”