2004 Chev Suburban - Stabilitrak Noise?

Specific repair issues for GM RWD trucks, SUVs & vans
Ruger77
50 Club: Regular Contributor

2004 Chev Suburban - Stabilitrak Noise?

Post by Ruger77 »

Anyone had any bad experiences with the stabilitrak on @2004 chevy suburban. My wife and I test drove one last night, and it had a lot of front drivetrain noise. I have worked on a lot of these, but never one with the full time 4wd, they have always been regular 4wd. Just wondered if there were any pattern failures, or things to watch out for, that I'm not aware of. Thanks in advance for any help.
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: Chevy suburban stabilitrak noise

Post by steven kiser »

My 01 Suburban has a slight howling noise in the front end and I know what it is. The carrier bearing is going. It's got 200k on it and I'm just waiting until I have a vehicle to swap it out with for my wife. At that time I'm going to go through it, repair or replace the front diff and have the body worked on. The front carriers aren't a real big deal (most of the time) on occasion for some reason they won't separate. The other thing it could be is a wheel bearing but usually the tell on them is a pedal pulsate below 5mph. Personally I would shy away from any automatic 4wd. I like the on, off, or the part time selection. I've been tearing into these Chev's for years and comparing them to other suv's and about 80% of my vehicle base are suv's looking at all the issues my next one is going to be a chev. as well.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Ruger77

Re: Chevy suburban stabilitrak noise

Post by Ruger77 »

Thanks Steve. It sounded like the noise was coming from the diff, like a carrier bearing. It didn't sound like a wheel bearing, because it didn't really change when turning the wheel and loading/unloading either side. That's what made me nervous. I don't need another project vehicle right now. I liked the idea of the full time 4wd because the wife wouldn't have to know when to engage :roll: I always figured the full time 4wd has to be hard on front differentials.

Return to “GM Trucks”