2011 Chev Traverse - A/C Inop

Specific repair issues for GM RWD trucks, SUVs & vans
nickscarcare
750 Club: World Class Contributor

2011 Chev Traverse - A/C Inop

Post by nickscarcare »

1GNKRJED0BJ103777 Customer came in with this Traverse with no a/c operation. Another place had been trying to get it to work, and they could not and told her to take it elsewhere. She lives a couple hours away, but her parents come here, so they brought it here.

She said every time it was charged that it her kids said it stunk in the back seat. Checked it out and found the rear evap core had a hole in it. Replace rear evap core and expansion valve with ac delco parts. Charged system, and no ac pressure, found compressor had failed. Replaced compressor, flushed evap core and condenser, charged and found low side pulling into a vacuum when running and high side about 120 psi. Replaced front expansion valve with aftermarket valve. Charged system and worked out the front ac for about 5 minutes, but not the rear, then I reved the engine to 2,000 rpm and the front quit blowing cold air and starts sucking low side into a vacuum again. Still no rear operation. Slight temperature difference at both expansion valves at this point.

Any other ideas?
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.

507-345-6425
http://www.nickscarcare.com
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Re: 2011 Traverse a/c inop

Post by brianp87 »

Was there a lot of debris in the system? Maybe some of it passed through to the new rear expansion valve since the compressor was done after? I would evac system and remove that rear valve to look at. Id prolly blow through those rear lines to see what comes out. I may consider doing the same with the front just to be safe. If the compressor grenade there could have been a lot of debris in that condenser that wouldn't come out with a flush. 300 psi pressure will push more out then a flush will. Also did you not replace the drier?
Jeff @ Able Auto
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Post by Jeff @ Able Auto »

If there were blockage hi side would go high as low side went into vacuum. I would suspect a bad compressor or low charge. Expansion valves control the pressures. Odds having 2 bad would be slim, unless they were stuck open by debris Just my 2 cents.
Jeff Fitzgerald - retired
Treasure Coast of Florida
"there will be enough time to sleep when we're dead"
nickscarcare

Post by nickscarcare »

Just got informed that the place she took it to before installed sealer, charged it, told her to drive it and see if it starts working. If not stop back and we will charge it again. So now to try to get the sealer out of it. This would have been nice to know right away!!
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.

507-345-6425
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

Yikes ya that stuff can ruin a machine to.
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by ricmorin »

That's why we do a sealer test on every AC system we touch. Sealer = we don't work on it. I know of no way to get that stuff out, only option is to replace everything.

Once we are done we install tamper proof caps with serial numbers to make sure no one messes with our work.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

We leak test occasionally here also. Surprisingly find very little with in it (knock on wood). I think we are lucky due to most of our customers stay here and do not go anywere else
nickscarcare

Post by nickscarcare »

I did do the sealant test, but it didn't show anything. I don't see any clumps or anything, but going to pull the desicant bag out and check that out.

507-345-6425
nickscarcare

Post by nickscarcare »

Well to anyone who was concerned, I did take out the drier on this one, which is not replaceable except with the condenser, and it had crap in it. Replaced the condenser, and the system works. It is weird that the filter for the rear a/c did not have any debris on it, like the drier did. Also weird that when flushing it the crap didn't come out black like the old Fords that would grenade the compressors.

507-345-6425
Jeff @ Able Auto

Post by Jeff @ Able Auto »

Thanks for the follow up.
Jeff Fitzgerald - retired
Treasure Coast of Florida
"there will be enough time to sleep when we're dead"

Return to “GM Trucks”