2005 Chev Colorado - Brake Wear Question

Specific repair issues for GM RWD trucks, SUVs & vans
nickscarcare
750 Club: World Class Contributor

2005 Chev Colorado - Brake Wear Question

Post by nickscarcare »

1GCDT136758101320, Vehicle first had pads put in at 53k, ever since, pads last about 10-20k, the last set was some EBC greenstuf, have tried wagner, calipers, hoses have also been replaced, no drag is felt like something binding. Any other ideas on what could cause this?
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.

507-345-6425
http://www.nickscarcare.com
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Re: 05 COLORADO

Post by brianp87 »

Have the driving habits or drivers changed. What about location of the vehicle has the terrain driven changed?
nickscarcare

Re: 2005 Chev Colorado - Brake Wear Question

Post by nickscarcare »

No he used to do mail runs, but that was very few, still no reason as why the originals went 50k and now can't get 20k out of them. This will be the 3rd time replacing since 50k.
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.

507-345-6425
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by ricmorin »

Have you tried a set of factory pads?
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
nickscarcare

Post by nickscarcare »

That was one of my next thoughts.

507-345-6425
92zman
200 Club: Major Contributor

Post by 92zman »

Check and make sure the rear brakes are working the right way. If the fronts are doing all the work they would wear really fast..
nickscarcare

Post by nickscarcare »

Rear brakes are working, like I said nothing has seemed to change, just changed them again at 13k on this set of pads. No master cylinder change,(so pushrod should be the same), the only thing is that he has a bad abs sensor on the right front, but won't spend the money to fix, and the last 2 times for sure the pads were grinding on the left, but all the pads were at 1mm left, except for the grinding inboard pad. Checked again today, nothing hanging up, all brakes apply. This one has me stumped! Over 20 years of doing this and never had one that was like this.

507-345-6425
92zman

Post by 92zman »

So for the most part all of the front pads are about the same thickness. Has anyone had to do rear brakes on it at all.. Look at the brake peddle and see if u can see if he drive with two feet. Have had people that do rest there foot on the peddle and as soon as u put weight on there it will put a little psi on the pads. But unless they push harder will it effect the rear brakes. If u cant see in the peddle u can go for a ride with them and let them drive..
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

There have been occasions where only OEM pads have solved issues I've been having. On occasion there have been different levels of pads offered.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
nickscarcare

Post by nickscarcare »

Yes I went for a ride with him and when I was with no resting the foot on the pedal, the rear brake shoes and wheel cylinders have been replaced. Pressure bleed. I told him nest time he has to fix the abs issue if he wants to make sure that is not affecting this, and we need to install OEM pad. He did not like the price of that, says he will just drive it.

507-345-6425
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

I was thumbing through one of those tech mags we get all the time this particular one was dealing with brake issues. There is a small check valve on the side of the master that looks like a grease fitting requiring a grease needle to lubricate. if I recall correctly is had something to do with opening it by depressing it and see if there is fluid in the chamber. If there is bleed it off by holding ball down. The fluid causes pressure that will with out a doubt cause advanced brake pad wear. Will not effect rear brakes just the front ones. However after reading the last post my feeling is the customer decided to use something other than OEM or OEM quality. With everything becoming so damn precise and critical I'm finding anything that doesn't meet or exceed Manufacturers specification usually doesn't work the way it's expected to or just flat out fails. I quote jobs based on quality parts and almost always will walk away from a job if customer wants either a "patch job" or my personal favorite "I'm going to get rid of it in a few months, six at the most." We all know that 80% hold on to them and 2 years later are in our shops complaining that what we did "just a few months" ago isn't working correctly. Yes, as you have most likely figured out now I'm dealing with one right now. This one is cut and dry and the customer has absolutely nothing to help her cause. The car in here right now is her OTHER daughters car and the work was performed on the OTHER 2002 Camry. I'll leave the rest of my gloating for later since we all know sometimes it isn't if you win or loose it's if you keep the customer and don't crack any teeth in the process. :lol: :lol:
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
nickscarcare

Post by nickscarcare »

Steve, we use only Wagner, Bocsh, or OEM pads here, so the quality of the pads that we have put in should be good. We use these all the time on other vehicles and no issues. There is something with this truck. Time will tell again.

507-345-6425

Return to “GM Trucks”