2003 Chev K1500 8-5.3L - Battery Drain

Specific repair issues for GM RWD trucks, SUVs & vans
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

2003 Chev K1500 8-5.3L - Battery Drain

Post by Tim Martin »

Help! This truck is absolutely enabling me to question my ability to diagnose problems. Ok. The facts. 2003 Chevy K1500 truck, 5.3L engine, auto trans, and 4wd. The issue is that the battery goes dead in 4 days. In connecting a DVOM between the negative post of the battery and the negative battery cable, there is an .015 mv drain. With so little of a drain, how can this battery possibly go dead in 4 days. I have replaced the battery thinking it may have been at fault, to no avail. I have pulled out all the fuses and relays with the same .015 mv drain. How do I find what is causing the battery to be dead in 4 days?
nickscarcare
750 Club: World Class Contributor

Re: 2003 Chev K1500 8-5.3L - Battery Drain

Post by nickscarcare »

I would possibly look at the battery causing the issue, leave the battery disconnected, or swap out batteries if the vehicle is needed, and see if the battery still goes dead with nothing attatched.
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.

507-345-6425
http://www.nickscarcare.com
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Well, I have a new battery installed. Same results.

Where can I go to see specs for allowable draw for a module? For example: an ABS module, how much should that draw? Or the instrument cluster? The radio? The PCM?
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by ricmorin »

Do the math. 15mA will NOT kill a good battery in 4 days. You have a larger draw than that at some point. Test using a traceable DVOM or scope over time. First step is to see the faulty draw. Once you see it, trace it down using conventional means.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
Jeff @ Able Auto
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Post by Jeff @ Able Auto »

Tim I have had issues with power switches sticking that caused drains. Does it go dead at your place or after the customer picks it up?
Jeff Fitzgerald - retired
Treasure Coast of Florida
"there will be enough time to sleep when we're dead"
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Jeff @ Able Auto wrote:Does it go dead at your place or after the customer picks it up?
It goes dead here. Four days. Fortunately the customer is understanding and cooperative. He also was in the hospital for partial toe amputation due to diabetes.
nickscarcare

Post by nickscarcare »

Sorry you did say you replaced the battery, guess I didn't read your post completely.
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.

507-345-6425
http://www.nickscarcare.com
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

So, here we are in the fun factory of electrical draws. Hugely popular are add on devices such as alarms and remote starters. When I run across a situation like this I isolate and shut down these things. Another big issue I run into is relay's not shutting down when the ignition is turned off. If there is a top of the line stereo in it the amp may be the issue. A little history would be nice. Did this issue start when the owner began using the truck occasionally after it had been used every day? Are there times when the truck will start after 4 days or is it with out a doubt going to be dead? Is the four day time being used because the customer uses it only every four days or is it used every day and the battery is dead on the fourth? I would get a diagram of the power distribution box in Mitchell and look at all the cycling relays and see if one isn't shutting down or vibrates or hum's for a split second before cycling down, that's a bad one. Look for any aftermarket relays and replace with OEM or correct load ones. I've run into a lot of relay issues when another shop finds one in a drawer and because the prongs are in the correct position it's used. If this has power windows and door locks see if one of the door lock switches is lazy or loose. I also have gotten into the habit of popping out the drivers master switch and looking for corrosion. Like all men he probably will drive with the window down in light rain and water will build and seep into the master switch. I've seen four way flashers start working on their own and I know there was an update on Emergency Switches on G.M. trucks but don't remember the years covered. There are so many different ways for a battery to go dead it would take forever to mention them all. I had a real nut buster a while ago and there was no rhyme or reason to it. I tried all I knew, went on line, even watched the hunting coat beer drinking no tooth hillbilly on You Tube as well as fifty or sixty others. I finally parked it outside the main bay door and just had everyone keep an eye on it from time to time to see if they caught anything. When I say the battery was dead I mean dead. Not a light, glimmer, shutter, not anything. It was as if someone stole the battery. After four days I came to work ant the truck was dead as could be. I watched the video from the security system and about two in the morning there is was, the truck just started to crank away. I really didn't see it right away but then saw something hanging from the mirror shaking. It cranked until the battery was flat. I had someone slide under and put a hand on the starter as I attached the jump pack and as soon as I did the starter disengaged. There was no remote start and the ignition switch (have replaced a few of these) was good and no sign of overheated wire connectors at the plug. Took starter relay out and looked at the distribution box connector and relay prongs. Everything looked fine until I took relay apart and it was all rotted on the inside. That was the first and only time I've seen a relay destroyed on the inside with no outside indications. Good luck and give ne a call if you want. 781-444-2620, 781-929-2554.
Last edited by steven kiser on Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

steven kiser wrote: A little history would be nice.
Well, this is a truck that, due to customers age is not a daily runner. Initially, the battery drain problem began late last fall. Initially we suspected (after initial diagnosis) a battery issue, so we replaced it with a new one (Interstate MTP78). After a week, it was back - same problem. Now, as I mentioned, with the customers health issues, we have had it for several weeks and every four days, the battery is dead. As in dead. I am wondering if there is a relay or module that awakens and drains it after setting awhile. The truck has no aftermarket addons, no high power stereo, simply a plain jane work truck. No power windows, no power door locks, no power seats, about as stripped a model as can be gotten.

Yea, the fun of electrical draws.
Jeff @ Able Auto

Tim what I would do is hook up your lab scope with an amps clamp set to 0-1 amps. Plug it in and set it to not turn off. Then monitor to see if or when it spkies. Something has to be coming on. Now the trick is to catch it on and trace it before it goes off or the battery goes dead again.
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Jeff @ Able Auto wrote:Tim what I would do is hook up your lab scope with an amps clamp set to 0-1 amps. Plug it in and set it to not turn off. Then monitor to see if or when it spkies. Something has to be coming on. Now the trick is to catch it on and trace it before it goes off or the battery goes dead again.
Well, I can have thought of that as my next move. The only thing keeping me from doing that up to this point is that I wasn't sure what settings to use but you are providing me at least a starting point.

Do I connect it inline like I have my DVOM between the negative battery post and the negative cable. or how would I hook it up for testing and observation?
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

Take a good look at the Distribution Box. Take it away from the mounts and flip it upside down looking for any corrosion. Another issue I've had with G.M.'s is the blower motor resistor. Look at the plug, take it out of the heater box and see if it's either burnt or shows a brown discoloration on the circuit board. This was a big issue on these and would cause an issue like this.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

We have already removed the power distribution box, suspicious of possible corrosion or something. But, nothing. All wiring and connections are in excellent shape. This vehicle usually is parked in the garage when not in use.
Jeff @ Able Auto

Use an amp clamp on the battery positive. Setting would be 0-10 amps on clamp. Scope would be 0-1 amps. My scope is set to never power off. I will plug it into power to save the battery from going dead in the middle of the test. Then I check it very 30-45 minutes.
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Jeff @ Able Auto wrote:Use an amp clamp on the battery positive. Setting would be 0-10 amps on clamp. Scope would be 0-1 amps. My scope is set to never power off. I will plug it into power to save the battery from going dead in the middle of the test. Then I check it very 30-45 minutes.
Thanks for the input. Will give it a try sometime today.
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Ok. One thing I found out. If the truck sets here in the shop, there is no draw, neither does the battery go dead. However, if the truck sets outside where the ambient temperature is colder, then that is when the battery goes dead. Does that provide any clue?
92zman
200 Club: Major Contributor
200 Club: Major Contributor

Post by 92zman »

If you have a meter that has min/max. You can put it on and it will show if it goes up. Have had computers turn back on latter and kill a battery. That way you can know what it is doing at all times. I would say then something is turning on and draining the battery.
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

92zman wrote:If you have a meter that has min/max. You can put it on and it will show if it goes up. Have had computers turn back on latter and kill a battery. That way you can know what it is doing at all times. I would say then something is turning on and draining the battery.
That is what I am suspicious of.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

Take a picture of relay locations, park vehicle outside, yank the relays and see what happens. I'm willing to be that the blower motor is triggering. If pulling the relays to help identify I something you would rather not do then park it outside and put a piece of straw wrapper in the blower vents including defroster vent and check in the mornings to see if it's been blown away

Return to “GM Trucks”