2009 Chev 1/2 ton 8-5.3L - No Oil PSI

Specific repair issues for GM RWD trucks, SUVs & vans
92zman
200 Club: Major Contributor

2009 Chev 1/2 ton 8-5.3L - No Oil PSI

Post by 92zman »

Have replaced sensor and filter and all was good for about 30 min then no oil psi again. Pulled filter out again and found more stuff on it..

What or how is everyone doing to clean this out? thanks
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

Re: 2009 Chev 1/2 ton 8-5.3L - No Oil PSI

Post by Tim Martin »

Well, we have had some experience with these engines. Oil Pressure being one of them. Often, the only cure is another engine, Jasper being one of the top choices. Fixing it yourself could be an option but not one that I would recommend. If I'm not mistaken, GM did issue some TSB's addressing the issues these engines had. I realize that my reply did not totally answer your inquiry but that is the experience we have had. So far, every one that I tried fixing has come back to bite me.
92zman

Post by 92zman »

So no one has came up with a way to clean this out. Have good oil psi at the oil filter but the junk in there plugs up the oil psi screen to fast.
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

While I said what I did, sludge and or junk in the oil pan and plugging up the screen is a part of the issues we have seen on these engines. We have already removed the oil pan and cleaned out the junk which seems to last only so long until there is more junk and sludge in the pan again. What kind of oil is being used? Some oils are worse than others for creating sludge in an engine. Also, if the engine is running too rich and fuel is getting past the rings, this compounds the problem. Also, if operating engine temperature is too low, (stuck open thermostat eg) sludge will accumulate quicker. Also, if the vehicle is used mostly for short drives, this can also set the stage for sludge to accumulate. I doubt there is an easy fix for this situation, however that is just my opinion based on 25+ years of experience.
92zman

Post by 92zman »

I get what u are saying but it just seems a little much to replace a engine cause it need to be cleaned out. The 1 time we changed his oil we used dexos cause that is what he wanted. People need to be changing there oil more offen then one time every 10000 miles. I know then oil and engine have came a long way but what we have oil do know is so much more now.

Return to “GM Trucks”