Suburbans, Denalis, Fullsize SUVs = $$

Specific repair issues for GM RWD trucks, SUVs & vans
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Suburbans, Denalis, Fullsize SUVs = $$

Post by steven kiser »

just a quick heads up here. i'm having a hey day with these vehicles. i'm doing at least one a week. customer comes in with a pedal fade below 5mph along with a buzzing noise. cha ching. at least where i'm located i can say without question it needs front and rear brakes, backing plates, front hub and bearings. $2.500 :D. the drop off is being caused by a front abs sensor. replace both. the backing plates are rotted from the salt and the e/brake shoes are loose. i would strongly suggest buying the oem set ups and charge a bit more labor because you'll probably have to change the e/brake eccentric. i used after market plates on my suburban, couldn't get the squeal at low speeds out of it. snap on makes a chisel for the air chisel gun that fits over the bolt head's that hold the hubs on. it peels them right off. keep these coming, i still have one in college......
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
wbuxton
1000 Club: Interstellar
1000 Club: Interstellar

Re: suburbans, denali's, full sized suv's

Post by wbuxton »

And ya'll still think you won the war! We call that the Yankee tax down here when we have to work on a rust bucket.
Uncle PETA said I could come back.
William
Weatherford, TX
817-599-7680
866-744-3887
http://www.phoenixtrans.com
VCAC239
25 Club: Starting Contributor

Re: Suburbans, Denalis, Fullsize SUVs

Post by VCAC239 »

One mans Rust is another mans cash cow!!! I'm with Steve on this one. These are an everyday occurance here in Maine as well. My shop is about 3 miles from the coast so we see a lot of rust just by being so close to salt water, but then in the winter when the DOT & Town Public Works goes by dumping 7 yards of salt & 1,000 gallons of Calcium Chloride per mile the rust does wonders to some of Detroit's finest. Brake lines, rotors, backing plates frames......nothing stands a chance of survival around these parts if you know what I mean.

Jeremy
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

Did a training meeting in Halifax and it was explained to me that "labor for vehicles in the Maritime provinces require an extra 1 hr per bolt".
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

Rust vehicle only labor guides?
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

i guess i just don't know what a rust free vehicle is (other that when they drive off the dealers lot) like i've mentioned before we will not waste any time at all trying to unbolt anything we can burn off with a torch. on older gm's that need a transmission or transfer case i'll order the spacer from the dealer before i even start the job. i usually have two or three of the two common ones on the shelf. i also have the shift assemblies for the ford manual four wheel drive controls. if i was ever in an area where the bolts looked like they did on the day they were installed i wouldn't know what to do. brake lines? we call them rusty straws. if we have to go any where near them we'll replace them. if bleeder opens we cut the line and pound on a junk yard socket and away we go. i've watched techs at other shops soak or heat the lines working the back and forth for a bit of time. i say cut and replace. i use a zinc/copper/nickle line on all the plow trucks that the owners allow me to. i've seen the results of salt damage first hand. new lines in november, scaly strips in april.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

brianp87 wrote:Rust vehicle only labor guides?
That's their local humor.
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
VCAC239
25 Club: Starting Contributor

Post by VCAC239 »

I've been using the same cooper nickle alloy brake line that Steve's talking about. If you use regular steel lines it should only be done on a vehicle that will be going directly from here to the "press" at the scrap yard because that's about how long they'll last!!!! My brother used to work at a Ford dealer in Florida & said they use the torch maybe 3 times a year. I'm lucky if it's 3 times a day

Jeremy
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

we use the "blue wrenches so much i'm considering putting in over heads in each bay. i can't have more than two carts legally in my shop. i have a plazma cutter and i purchased an otc magnetic heater. that thing is great. before i use any torches i bang away on the frame with a 2.5lb hammer and have to sweep the rust off the floor because it's pretty slippery. it's kind of sad that we know on ford trucks that the rear spring perches rot out and on the gm's we'll have at least 10 every plow season with the plow hanging off. i have standard orders with a few salvage yards that on specific chevrolet trucks if the frame is good cut the nose pieces of the frame and ship them to me. i'll clean them and weld sleeves on them.
liljoe
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Re: Suburbans, Denalis, Fullsize SUVs = $$

Post by liljoe »

Wow, ya'll sure do make me happy to be in the south!!!!! :mrgreen:
Working hard to prove the Green Team can do it with the best of 'em.
Always remember: AIN'T NO FREE LUNCHES!!
Am I the Only One?- I don't think I am.
The further a society retreats from the truth, the more it hates those who speak it. George Orwell.
steven kiser

Re: Suburbans, Denalis, Fullsize SUVs = $$

Post by steven kiser »

well i wouldn't go that far lil joe................................. :lol: :lol: isn't it all ya'll. now remember i'm a misplaced red neck.
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

steven kiser wrote:we use the "blue wrenches so much i'm considering putting in over heads in each bay. i can't have more than two carts legally in my shop. i have a plazma cutter and i purchased an otc magnetic heater. that thing is great. before i use any torches i bang away on the frame with a 2.5lb hammer and have to sweep the rust off the floor because it's pretty slippery. it's kind of sad that we know on ford trucks that the rear spring perches rot out and on the gm's we'll have at least 10 every plow season with the plow hanging off. i have standard orders with a few salvage yards that on specific chevrolet trucks if the frame is good cut the nose pieces of the frame and ship them to me. i'll clean them and weld sleeves on them.
Steve,

We have gas piped to each bay. While it is convenient, it consumes a lot of gas and there are lots of opportunities for leaks. I'd go back if I could.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders

Return to “GM Trucks”