2002 K1500 Pk Tk Brake Problem

Specific repair issues for GM RWD trucks, SUVs & vans
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

2002 K1500 Pk Tk Brake Problem

Post by Tim Martin »

I got this 2002 Chevy K1500, a 5.3L engine, automatic transmission with 4 wheel disc brakes and 135000 miles on it. The truck came in with excessive brake pedal travel going almost to the floor. If I release all the vacuum from the brake booster and hold the brake pedal in hard, pedal travel is barely an inch. As soon as the engine is started, the brake pedal instantly falls to the floor. So, thinking I had a faulty booster I installed a new one with the same results. What am I missing? Rear brake pads are worn down to 3/32" and front is 6/32". Is this new brake vacuum booster defective? Or is my diagnosis wrong? Or am I missing something?
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 2002 K1500 Pk Tk Brake Problem

Post by steven kiser »

make sure all the caliper slides are working properly. i've found frozen caliper slides as well as calipers frozen on the mount causing low pedal issues. bad front wheel bearings will do this. is the customer complaining of a pedal fade under 5 mph. if this is the issue you may have a bad speed sensor in one of the front hubs. as a rule on many power brake systems (hydro boost being an exception) you're able to push pedal to the floor at a stand still.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

I noticed this truck has aluminum brake calipers. And I am wondering if that contributes to a low brake pedal?
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

alumunim bake calipers shouldn't really have an impact on this unless they're flexing on the slide. i'd also pressure bleed the system if it hasn't already been done. i've had issues with brake pedal height and what i felt was an insignificant amount of air came out and problem solved. i've also had issues where the abs module on the drivers side frame rail was weeping ever so slightly causing an issue. if there is weeping issues at the module i strongly suggest replacing all the lines. we purchase the ones with the braided line in it from the dealer and make the rest.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

To help isolate this, you can pinch off the brake hoses one at a time.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
wbuxton
1000 Club: Interstellar

Post by wbuxton »

Quick question, does the pedal drop as the vehicle is moving and you are trying to slow down? Or does this just happen at stops?
Uncle PETA said I could come back.
William
Weatherford, TX
817-599-7680
866-744-3887
http://www.phoenixtrans.com
protraxrptr17
100 Club: Active Contributor
100 Club: Active Contributor

Post by protraxrptr17 »

My first guess would be the caliper slides are frozen. Most likely on the back. The reason the pedal gets soft when the engine is running is because the extra assistance probably bends the rotors over against the other pad instead of sliding the caliper.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

pinching will kelp but i will warn you that a little too much zealously with vice grips will cause line damage. if all i can lay my hands on is a regular style of grips i'll use two nickels placed against the line and the jaws against the nickels. my first thought about the slides still stands and on rare occasions i've seen bad wheel bearing cause this by leaning into the piston of the caliper.
Last edited by steven kiser on Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
wbuxton

Post by wbuxton »

steven kiser wrote:pinching will kelp but i will warn you that a little too much zealously with vice grips will cause line damage. if all i can lay my hands on is a regular style of grips i'll use two nickels placed against the line and the jaws against the nickels. my first =though about the slides still stands and on rare occasions i've seen bad wheel bearing cause this by leaning into the piston of the caliper.
Excellent advice. I remember customers with diesel engines sitting on the service drive and pushing the pedal to the floor while the vacuum pump built up. Try this on the road and you will be going in circles. Hard to get them to understand but if the pedal is operating properly while driving is a key factor.
Uncle PETA said I could come back.
William
Weatherford, TX
817-599-7680
866-744-3887
http://www.phoenixtrans.com
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

protraxrptr17 wrote:My first guess would be the caliper slides are frozen. Most likely on the back. The reason the pedal gets soft when the engine is running is because the extra assistance probably bends the rotors over against the other pad instead of sliding the caliper.
Good idea. So, I pulled both rear wheels and calipers to find out the slides haven't been working (rusted) for many miles. So I replaced both calipers, mounts and new pads.

Same problem - - - pedal goes to the floor. As my former boss would say: Now I'm mad.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

now like i stated before the pedal will go to the floor if you push hard enough. while driving the truck and stopping do the brakes engage and stop and then if you push harder the pedal will reach the floor? if it stops fine and under pressure pedal drops the problem may be solved and your forcing the pedal and thinking the problem of a low pedal persists.
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

GM's are notorious for this. They have sooo much power you can get them to the floor in the bay, but they stop fine with much less effort on the road.

If you're pinching off hoses, I use special purpose tools just for that. Never used vice-grips, ever.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

i agree with ric about the special tool. i use one as well, i just mentioned the nickel idea because when "pinch" was mentioned, vice grip popped into mind. i use a vice grip type tool with pads on the jaw end and it will not allow you to close it completely. years ago i would have issues with low pedals being caused by load pressure control valves for the rear brakes but i haven't seen this in years.
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

In a former post I mentioned that I installed new calipers, brackets and pads. After I went for a test drive it is working fine. So I have to assume that by having the wheels on and vehicle speed in the brake system it makes a difference. Customer picked truck up and so far it is working real well. Pedal only goes in about 1/3 of the way to floor.

Thanks for the help men! It's great to have peers that have ideas, suggestions and input.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

thanks for keeping us updated

Return to “GM Trucks”