2000 Chev Silverado - Clutch Nightmare

Specific repair issues for GM RWD trucks, SUVs & vans
SCOTT BOYCE

2000 Chev Silverado - Clutch Nightmare

Post by SCOTT BOYCE »

2000 silverado 4.8 l 5 speed 4x4 250 k miles

Replaced origanal clutch, new slave cyclinder, new m/c, resurfaced flywheel and installed complete clutch kit, bleed
clutch kit. Bleed system pedal feels good but very hard to get in first gear and reverse. Engine off shifts in no problem, driving down the road shifts no problem. This truck also developed an engine noise on test drive sounds like a squeek at idle but turns into more of a lifter tap noise at 2000 rpm we ran the engine with trans out and serp belt off noise still there, sounds like its coming from the center of the oil pan due to mileage we removed the pan and checked all main and rod bearings and found no problem.

I need some help with this one let me know what you think.
thanks scot
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

Re: 2000 Chev Silverado - Clutch Nightmare

Post by Tim Martin »

Welcome to the forum!

Sounds like there is too much distance between the clutch slave cylinder and the pressure plate. This can be caused by thrust bearing in the engine being worn too much. Did the machine shop give you a shim to put between the flywheel and the crankshaft to take up the amount they took off when resurfacing the flywheel?
SCOTT BOYCE

Post by SCOTT BOYCE »

Thanks for the info. And no we did not get a shim for the crank. I have a new flywheel coming today, its the only thing left that I can think would cause this. I should have known better, If we just threw a clutch kit on the flywheel w/o machining it I would not be on this site right now, thats what I get for trying to do the right thing!
sbebenelli
750 Club: World Class Contributor
750 Club: World Class Contributor

Post by sbebenelli »

SCOTT BOYCE wrote:If we just threw a clutch kit on the flywheel w/o machining it I would not be on this site right now, thats what I get for trying to do the right thing!
This sight has a lot more to offer than just repair help. When you have a moment take a look around. Maybe you can make a positive out of this negative and meet some great people with good shop management help and great ideas.
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by steven kiser »

pressure bleed the system......
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

I always resurface and shim the flywheel.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

just noticed that the mileage was 250k. i'm wondering if the flywheel has been cut beyond specs. i've seen them cut to much on the initial cut trying to remove the heat spots that they were pretty much junk then. i stopped cutting and started grinding them. man what a difference. like going from a bicycle to a harley.........btw, i'm not a huge fan of shimming flywheels. they work but i just feel a bit uneasy. never seen one come apart but i just get that uneasy feeling.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
wbuxton
1000 Club: Interstellar
1000 Club: Interstellar

Post by wbuxton »

Did you use a pilot bearing or bushing? We elect to use a bushing made of silicon bronze. It is self lubricating so don't grease it. Works well with worn input shafts, just dress it with emory cloth.
Uncle PETA said I could come back.
William
Weatherford, TX
817-599-7680
866-744-3887
http://www.phoenixtrans.com

Return to “GM Trucks”